Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    HS Customer Service us hurting them now more than ever. I was looking at Samsung's line of phones this weekend and their phones are looking pretty good. Both the i500 (Palm OS) and the new i600 (SmartPhone) offer voice dialing/notes features, which the Treo 600 lacks. And since the i500 is OS 4.x one could use the Palm SDIO Bluetooth card in it. It's only a matter of time, 1-2 years max. before someone else has the next big thing and all us HS customers will be leaving in droves. You'll be able to find Treo 600s on eBay for zilch.
    Handspring has already shown that they can build treo 600's. What makes a Treo 600 a Cingular treo 600? It has some custom software. It has a sticker on the box. It has a cingular logo'ed manual. That's about it.

My guess? Cingular clinched the deal with Handspring 10/31 or so. Until the deal was clinched nobody was actually producing any cingular specific treo 600's except maybe a few prototypes. Everybody got together and estimated how long it would take to ramp up printing and to burn the custom Rom software. They figured two weeks. So they said they expect to ship the 17th. Printing problems not bloodly likely. Rom burning taking longer? maybe. Quality assurance holding up the show? maybe.

The "high demand creates shipping delays" is a ruse. High demand may make you sell out quicker but it should not affect fulfilling at least the first run of orders. Nothing has shipped, so that means the first run of "cingular" treos went to the carrier. Maybe Cingular saw a higher demand and they insisted on getting more of the first runs than planned.

So far HS is doing pretty good for a small operation bringing such a complex product to market. Let's hope they just miss their target ship date by only one day.

David
    Originally posted by mforester
    HS must be full of MBAs/PHDs but short on common sense. They really screwed up this launch. How does it make sense that Cingular retail stores have them for sale but loyal HS customers that didn't buy before the 4th are going to get the shaft for another two weeks waiting for their upgrades. I got lucky and ordered on the 2nd but I can imagine how pi$$ed I'd be had I waited.
    The key to Hand staying in business is establishing relationships with service providers. The service providers that they sign up not only allow access on their networks for the Treo 600, but also market, support and advertise the phones themselves, and they also phone's prices themselves. So you asking why Cingular is ahead of you in the cue seems to lack common sense to me.
    Originally posted by mforester
    [B. It's only a matter of time, 1-2 years max. before someone else has the next big thing and all us HS customers will be leaving in droves. You'll be able to find Treo 600s on eBay for zilch. [/B]
    Reminds me of the Aesop's Fables store concerning the Fox and the Grapes. After trying unsuccessfully for several hours to climb the tree and eat the grapes, the fox exclaimed as it left the scene that the grapes looked sour anyway.

I don't see a real challenger on the horizon presently. By merging with Palmone, Hawkins will have increased resources which will allow him to have multiple products on the market at the same time. Watch the innovation continue.
    mad at handspring?

dont buy the phone.

simple.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Thursay... please!
    Originally posted by mhanson14
    initially it said orders would start shipping on the 17th, then they subtly changed it to they would start processing on the 17th, now they say it will begin processing the 18th.... FOR THE FIRST TWO DAYS OF SALES... after that, a 2-4 week backorder? kiss the christmas sales goodbye.

Handspring always finds a way to screw up its launches!
    Outrageous isn't it, taking their worst case senario which is usually in reality the best case senario the majority of Cingular GSM orders will ship 2-3rd week in December. The At&t and Tmobile orders will be mid January, February????

WOW!!!!
    Last edited by Prismatic; 11/17/2003 at 09:35 PM.
    No good deed goes unpunished
    Originally posted by WeeBitObsessed
    Thursay... please!
    WeeBit did you get tired of waiting on your T-mobile guy too?
    No good deed goes unpunished
    Originally posted by rvwink

Reminds me of the Aesop's Fables store concerning the Fox and the Grapes. After trying unsuccessfully for several hours to climb the tree and eat the grapes, the fox exclaimed as it left the scene that the grapes looked sour anyway.

I don't see a real challenger on the horizon presently. By merging with Palmone, Hawkins will have increased resources which will allow him to have multiple products on the market at the same time. Watch the innovation continue.
    You make good points. Handspring knows exactly how many they can sell. They know how many 180/270/300s they made/sold and what the growth potential is based on past sales. They also know that the Treo 600 like those before it are purchased by early adopters and not your average cellular or PDA user. For every 20 people I know with a PDA, there's maybe one that knows about or owns a converged device such as the Treo. The early adopters will purchase the Treo anywhere they can find it in stock no matter who provides access to it and in some cases pay a premium to be the first on the block. Yes, carrier relationships are important but my CEO bought his because I recommended he upgrade from his T300, which I also sold him on.
    Bottom line is, we are on the bottom of Handspring's list of priorities.

Carriers are more important to Handspring, PERIOD! Just think, if the carriers didn't have priority, the carrier can simply take a pass, and Handspring will have to hock it's own wares directly, which is peanuts in terms of numbers vs. having a full carrier launch and support.

Remember, no matter where you buy the Treo 600, Handspring will be selling it to you, directly or indirectly, they really don't care. Their number one priority are the carriers, and have to satisfy them first and foremost.

Handspring is selling to you at the same price if not less than what they sell it to the carriers for, so in essence, they are losing money, or maybe breaking even when they sell to upgraders for $399. If the cellular business model of a few years ago still holds true, Handspring gets monthly billing residuals for every customer that buys from it's Handspring website and signs up for a new plan. However that income will pale in comparison to the revenue generated by having the carriers themself not only endorse and support the product, but sell it to it's subscriber base. In addition, most upgraders are not looking to sign up for new plans, so that makes it even easier to put them, rather than the carriers on the waiting list.

In my opinion, when it comes to the Treo 600, the carriers are in the drivers seat right now. If they say "JUMP", Handspring has to say "How High?" Otherwise, Handspring without the wireless carriers support is like a gun with no bullets, they're simply shooting blanks.
    Last edited by shfawaz; 11/18/2003 at 11:41 AM.
    shf
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    WeeBit,

Let me know if I need to talk you down, please remove any sharp objects from your general area and step away from the ledge.

If we don't hear from you & farzonalmaneih on a regular basis we will all be a little nervous about your well being.

Farzon,

I am very, very, very disappointed in this and approaching madness. I'd expect better for existing treo owners looking for the GSM upgrade, but we appear to be just pawns and not the bread & butter for PalmOne/HS. We're already hooked.

Due to the treo 180 speaker problem, I am currently living in, get this, a 2 device world (Visor and Samsung standard issue cell phone)... and let me tell you..it hurts. Every call and swap over to the PDA gets me closer and closer to that Mad you mentioned...

So get this (to add fuel to the fire). I just called HS for the 1st time today (1st time I have ever called them). I asked for my order status.

The lady said it would be "a few weeks." hahahahaha lol lol .... I love that statement! These guys must of took a lesson from building contractors.. these guys sound simular to the people that built my house last year... haha (2 weeks, 2 weeks, 2 weeks).

Anyway, the last insult was when she asked me if I would take a survey. I agreed. When she transfered me to the survey department they hungup before even answering the phone.

lol
    Originally posted by farzonalmaneih
    So get this (to add fuel to the fire). I just called HS for the 1st time today (1st time I have ever called them). I asked for my order status.

The lady said it would be "a few weeks." hahahahaha lol lol .... I love that statement! These guys must of took a lesson from building contractors.. these guys sound simular to the people that built my house last year... haha (2 weeks, 2 weeks, 2 weeks).

Anyway, the last insult was when she asked me if I would take a survey. I agreed. When she transfered me to the survey department they hungup before even answering the phone.

lol

On which day did you place your order?
    Originally posted by hockey Dad

On which day did you place your order?

Order Date:
    11/03/2003 01:10:55 PM

Order Status:
    Order Received
    I do not think she knew what she was talkinga bout. I spoke to a CSR and they said orders on 11/02 and 11/03 are being prcessed today for shipping 19-21. This is also on the web site so now we can only wait and see at the end of the day what happens. Has anyone had any change in there status yet today?
    Should I even bother checking the 'Order Status' page or should I just wait for an email confirmation that my order has changed from "Order Received" to anything? Will this happen at the same time?

I'm spending way too much time checking the HS site looking for any changes because I just can't wait any longer.
    Whats the chances they move the date from the 18th to the 19th by the end of day tomorrow?
    Order Date:

Order Status:
    Order Received

I fear the worst.

Order Date:

Order Status:
    Order Received

I fear the worst.
    Yep. It will be quite the veritable miracle if they ship today. Cue in applause for HS. The crowd goes wild.

Thanks HS, we luv ya.

/back to sulking.

Cheers.

Order Date:

Order Status:
    Order Received

I fear the worst.

NO MOVEMENT!!!

Order Date:
    11/02/2003 07:39:54 PM

Order Status:
    Order Received
    CREDIT CARD APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

I might actually get one soon???

Order Date:11/02/2003 07:03:06 PM Order Status: Credit Card Approved
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast