Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    I got Treo600SMS when it came out. Since then, I would have problems where Treo600SMS would say it was retrieving shortmail, but I did not get the message for a day or two. It didn't happen all of the time, but enough to be annoying, especially for $20.

I emailed PDAapps about this, and they said that they were working on it. I figured they fixed the problem in their server, as I did not see a problem for a couple of weeks. But in the past week, I've seen the same problems, and they're even worse b/c messages that I send are not even getting to the destination phone/shortmail inbox.

Anyone else seeing any problems?
    Bok
    Just sent a SMS from the Messaging.sprintPCS.com site and got it.
    Send one from Outlook at my house too, got it.
    Replied back to the one form my outlook that I just got on the T600 and forwared it to my PCS mail and got it too. Must be a Vsion issue inyour area?
    Uninstall Treo 600 SMS.

Sprint's SMS will be here very very very soon from what we heard....

ANd it does NOT go through vision because when you try to send one now, it does not require a vision connection.
    Sprint will not be getting SMS until January.
    Originally posted by Im So Unpopular
    Sprint will not be getting SMS until January.
    How do people find out these things?
    Originally posted by mo-bile

How do people find out these things?
    Howard Forums, where several Sprint employees regularly post about upcoming developments:

http://www.howardforums.com/forumdis...?s=&forumid=53

Also, SprintUsers forums:

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/
    ANd it does NOT go through vision because when you try to send one now, it does not require a vision connection.
    No offence Mike, but are you sure. Try to disconnect and then try to send, It will connect to Vision. It has too, it has to contact PDA Apps proxy, correct? Perhaps you can recieve w/o Vision on a T600, but you can't send with the T600SMS w/o Vision.

I know that true Text uses the Voice connection as a carrier (if you will) not the Data connection. That has always been the issue with the Sprint SMS
    Mike, Please clear up what "we" means.
    We the board?
    We the employees of Sprint
    or
    We, the people that are in the Comm Biz?
    Thanks, Matt

There is too much confusion on the old SMS and new SMS (I thought it was called Mo-SMS)

Doesn anyone know?

I'll start a new thread
    Originally posted by Burkhardi

No offence Mike, but are you sure. Try to disconnect and then try to send, It will connect to Vision. It has too, it has to contact PDA Apps proxy, correct? Perhaps you can recieve w/o Vision on a T600, but you can't send with the T600SMS w/o Vision.

I know that true Text uses the Voice connection as a carrier (if you will) not the Data connection. That has always been the issue with the Sprint SMS
    i think he's talking about Sprint's new SMS coming soon, not Treo600sms which uses shortmail.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Originally posted by MikeRadio
    Uninstall Treo 600 SMS.

Sprint's SMS will be here very very very soon from what we heard....

Why? Treo600SMS works great 99% of the time... Just uninstall and reinstall and you should have no problems

Josh
    his post was not clear. I thought we were talking about the current system. I see he said "try to send" perhaps you are correct. Perhaps he will reply? thanks,Matt
    I am not talking about PDAApps Treo600SMS.
    That uses vision.

If you do NOT have that app installed, if you go to send an SMS now, (after immediately turning on the phone) you will see it says Sending Message and then comes back with the message from Sprint saying the service will be available soon.

However, you do NOT see the VISION connecting screen is all I am saying...

I do not know what this means however... besdiers it may not have anything to do with vision...

And "we" obviously means the people on the board. I just posted what others haveposted and wanted to make it clear I do not know any other information or anything like that.

Mike
    <Removed>
    Thanks Mike, I was not thinking outside the box. Becasue the OE SMS does not work, I assumed you ment the working, work around. Matt
    For what it's worth mike, that message is not actually coming from a sprint server, it's in the rom on your phone (ie part of the sms app itself). Doesn't mean that you're wrong, but I wouldn't say that it's a 100% guarantee that vision won't need to be on. Anyone on here actually seen it send a message without vision?
    Originally posted by jwsh
    For what it's worth mike, that message is not actually coming from a sprint server, it's in the rom on your phone (ie part of the sms app itself). Doesn't mean that you're wrong, but I wouldn't say that it's a 100% guarantee that vision won't need to be on. Anyone on here actually seen it send a message without vision?
    That I did not know... but why would they put a ROM feature on the phone saying the service isn't working?

I thought it went to send the message and Sprint sends back that reply.. because it does say sending message for a few seconds.

Mike
    Originally posted by MikeRadio

That I did not know... but why would they put a ROM feature on the phone saying the service isn't working?

I thought it went to send the message and Sprint sends back that reply.. because it does say sending message for a few seconds.

Mike
    My current theory is that it, in fact, does not use the vision connection to send an SMS.. I found one random post on usenet that indicated that there was a command in CDMA2000 (AT!SSMS) that is used to send an SMS - to me that indicates that it doesn't use the vision connection (but I'm not actually that familiar with how that level of CDMA works, so I could be mis-interpreting). My guess is that the phone sends the SMS to the nework, and gets a reply with some error code which causes the treo to display that message (the alternative is that it's just hardwired to show that message, and sprint will have to send down something to 'unlock' the send function). Presumably, they put the message in there because they knew (or at least expected) that SMS wouldn't be working before the phone was released, and it presumably would be far simpler to return an error code (or not send the message at all, if we're wrong), and handle it on the phone, than to hook it into some logic that would send back an SMS.

(wow, this doesn't match the thread anymore at all!)