1.    #1  
    Hello,

This weekend, i tried to use a Jabra headset I had lying around at home with my Treo 600, but it did not work. The headset that came with the Treo 600 worked, so I assumed there was a compatibility issue with the Jabra headset.

This morning, I noticed the Jabra EarBoom headset in the article on headsets that can be used with the Treo 600. Confused, I walked into a Wireless Warehouse during my lunch break, and asked if they had any headsets for the Treo 600. They informed me that the Treo 600 headset jack is not a standard 2.5mm jack, but a Nokia 2.5mm jack.

They had a Jabra EarBoom for the Nokia 8800/8200/3300 series in stock, and it worked properly with the Treo 600.

Keep this in mind when reading about compatible headsets. You need a NOKIA 2.5mm jack on the headset, NOT a standard (the ones that work with Motorola, etc.).
    You are incorrect sir.
  3.    #3  
    Your response is both extensive and informative.

The fact that I am having a conversation as I type this, using the Jabra EarBoom for Nokia phones obviously means I am a hallucinating crack addict.
    There are 2 Nokia headsets, a 3 and a 4 conductor (2 black rings versus 3). The Treo 300 was a 4 conductor, which used the Nokia headset that you are referring to. The Treo 600 uses the 3 conductor, all other headsets that use the 2.5 plug. The guy that told you the Nokia was what you needed assumed that the Treo 600 uses the same plug as the 300.

Is your headset that you purchased a 3 or 4 conductor?
    It's just that there have been several threads on here where people have stated that Nokia 4-pole accessories work fine on the Treo 600's 3-pole jack. My opinion is that they are/were incorrect, and if I recall correctly the threads all came to that conclusion.

In some cases it would only work intermittently or without the plug fully inserted. In another case it was determined that in fact the headset microphone wasn't working at all, but rather the voice pickup was from the phone's own mic.

Here are the pinouts:

Nokia 4 pin 2.5mm (Treo 300 etc):

round tip = speaker +
    next ring = microphone +
    next ring = speaker -
    bottom ring = microphone -

Normal 2.5mm (Treo 600 etc):

round tip = microphone
    ring = speaker
    sleeve = ground

As to whether your setup works, obviously I cannot say. All I am saying is that I believe you are placing a 4-pole plug into a 3-pole jack.
    Can someone please settle this once and for all?

Does the Treo 600 have the SPECIAL nokia 2.5mm jack (3 black bars, 4 "metal" bars ), or does it have the UNIVERSAL 2.5mm jack (2 black bars, 3 "metal" bars)?

If it is the UNIVERSAL one, then how in heck are some people (i.e. jellyguy plus some skullcandy people) reporting that their NOKIA jack is working?

It would seem as if the UNIVERSAL one would fit in the NOKIA jack, but not the other way around, since the NOKIA one is longer. So please, someone who knows this FOR SURE, what the hell is going on?

Thanks.
    Found this Headset FAQ .

"The Treo 600 can use industry standard, 3 pin, 2.5mm headsets. Most cellular phones (with the exception of many from Nokia) use this kind of headset, so most headset manufacturers make versions to fit it."..."2.5mm telephony headsets tend to have two pin types. Treo 600 uses headsets with three pins. You can tell if your headset is a three pin headset by counting the number of black bands on the headset plug. Three pin headsets have two black bands, four pin headsets have three."...
    Originally posted by olavf
    Found this Headset FAQ .

"The Treo 600 can use industry standard, 3 pin, 2.5mm headsets. Most cellular phones (with the exception of many from Nokia) use this kind of headset, so most headset manufacturers make versions to fit it."..."2.5mm telephony headsets tend to have two pin types. Treo 600 uses headsets with three pins. You can tell if your headset is a three pin headset by counting the number of black bands on the headset plug. Three pin headsets have two black bands, four pin headsets have three."...
    Thanks for the info, man. Sigh... great-o, HS manages to screw it up. Why didn't they keep the 4-pin? Nobody knows... so now it's either impossible or very difficult to produce a stereo headsec w/ mic, since there is effectively NO PIN for the third 'thing.' I guess manufacturers will have to learn to use the old switcheroo thingy that the Treo does, and then we'll get the product, if ever.

Anyway, so given it's a 3-pin, how on earth are some of you people using those special nokia jacks on the Treo 600? Can someone clarify this then?

Thanks.
    Well...I wouldn't say 'impossible'. Seido (www.seidoonline.com) has got a nifty looking thing that a few lurkers have on order - I'm waiting for the reviews...Also, Skullcandy is supposed to be working on one (don't know the ETA, though). It should be do-able via a hack an/or some hardware in the headset...
    Originally posted by olavf
    Well...I wouldn't say 'impossible'. Seido (www.seidoonline.com) has got a nifty looking thing that a few lurkers have on order - I'm waiting for the reviews...Also, Skullcandy is supposed to be working on one (don't know the ETA, though). It should be do-able via a hack an/or some hardware in the headset...
    No, i agree that it's probably possible (even though I haven't tested the seido), but I do think HS made it extra difficult for manufacturers. For example, had they kept the 4-pin, skullcandy's stuff would work already; now who knows when they release the new version. I hope soon...

Thanks for the seido link, I'll give them a shot after I get my damn treo from cingular if they ever decide to ship.

Cheers.
    The Skulllcandy stuff looks great, but I'm hoping they have a single jack version available (their current products have two jacks-one for the phone & one for music). Like you, I'm going to wait a bit and see what comes out on the market.