Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm interested in what you guys have been using, and why you like it. I'd been using TealReader on my 300, but would like an app that integrates with the 600 by utilizing the navigation button.

Someone in an earlier thread mentioned iSiloX, which can evidently be used in conjuction with Blazer. I'm especially interested in this functionality, since it would be nice to have the option of changing the appearance of web pages.
    I use Palmreader b/c it free and for all the available palm doc/ebooks. Also use TiBR non palmreader docs as well as DTG for word etc...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I'm a hardcore iSilo/iSiloX junkie. Well worth the registration fee. iSiloX is the desktop app which you can set to run via the scheduler in Windows XP (and you can tweak the app with command line parameters to make it all automated). iSiloX will go to whatever websites you set up, grab the pages, and ready them for transfer to your device. iSilo is the PDA app which you use to read the files. The thing i LOVE about isiloX generated web pages is that you can get isilo to force the web page to be only as wide as the screen, so you never have to scroll left/scroll right to read...ever again! Woohoo! Plus, you can set it to eliminate background colors (which can sometimes make reading text difficult on a PDA). And the isilo docs come complete with the same hyperlinks that were on the original web page, so you can tap to link to another page, as if you were really surfing. Of course, I usually set iSiloX to only download hyperlinks to one level deep (occas two levels, depending on the web page I'm downloading), otherwise I'd end up with these 100MB monster files to sync.

It's a little complicated to get to all the full power of the app, but for me it's a godsend. The bulk of my surfing is to the same sites every day (like this one!), and it's nice to have it all downloaded to my device every morning. It takes a while to get that first sync of the day done - since I've got a TON of isilo docs to sync - so I usually start the sync, go shower and shave, then grab my Treo on my way out the door. Very cool.

And of course, Snapper Mail and Blazer make real-time surfing a breeze also.
    By the way, iSilo is capable of reading any *.prc or *.pdb file, as well as text files, etc. And it's highly configurable (font size, formatting, etc.).

But I do also use PalmReader for all my Palm ebooks.
    Yeah, there's alot of isilo junkies out there! But I agree, it's one of the best viewers you can get. However if we're talking about offline viewers, you have to mention Plucker as well. Its a great avantgo replacement in addition to iSilo and its free too!

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Yeah, there's alot of isilo junkies out there! But I agree, it's one of the best viewers you can get. However if we're talking about offline viewers, you have to mention Plucker as well. Its a great avantgo replacement in addition to iSilo and its free too!
    What I'd really like for Plucker to do is mimic Blazer in its integration with the 5-way pad. In other words, left-right arrow to move from hyperlink to another, click button to select, etc. That would be super cool.
    Good and timely topic. I loaded the Palm Reader because it uses an Auto scroll. But I do not know how to load the books. I have looked but I am unable to locate the instructions that seem to work with the Treo.

I am trying to load a version of the Bible from Olive Tree.com.

Thanks.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Yet another iSilo fan. BTW, I emailed its author a while back. He promised to that a future update would support the D-pad... although a few more requests from other Treo 600 users wouldn't hurt :-)

One issue I have is autoscroll. It does nothing on my Treo. Does it work for you?
    Originally posted by GeekyMom
    Good and timely topic. I loaded the Palm Reader because it uses an Auto scroll. But I do not know how to load the books. I have looked but I am unable to locate the instructions that seem to work with the Treo.

I am trying to load a version of the Bible from Olive Tree.com.

Thanks.
    Found out I have to use their books from Palm Reader and it works fine. BUT, it does not have a color preference so I'm stuck with a black and white screen and the Bible is not broken down into Books, so searching is too cumbersome so looks like I'm back to square one.

**Sigh** if only I could get my old trusted "Scriptures" Reader to work on the Treo.

The auto scroll however, works very well!
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    There are too many formats that need an exact reader. I want one that will read palm book, mobipocket,isilux,doc, etc...I'd even pay for it.
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
    Is there a reader for PDF files?
    Originally posted by HumP
    I haven't tried it, but there appears to be one on Adobe's site.
    I have used Isilo and highly recommend it. There is a fee ($20.00?), but the software for creating Isilo docs, IsiloX is free and works well. I have converted many Gutenberg texts to Isilo, and this is a great way to read ebooks (and the Gutenberg texts are free).

Adobe has a PDF reader that you can download for free. It works on documents created for PDF by converting Word documents, etc. (e.g., using Acrobat, etc.), but I have never gotten it to work on PDFs created by scanning. I assume that this is a limitation of the software, and not me, but if anyone has any suggestions, I would be glad to hear them.
    Just add to the discussion here, I'm currently trying out Handstory and its clipping service for offline viewing is very slick and impressive! Furthermore the viewer is very nice as well and supports multiple file types from ebooks to images etc. Handstory lite is freeware and is definitely worth the try imo...

Also, there's a really infomative discussion on various ebook readers on cliesource that I've linked to below. Check it out for even more info:

http://www.cliesource.com/forums/sho...?threadid=9241

Originally posted by HumP
    Yes Adobe provide a reader for free and it is capable of reading 150+ page documents stored on an expansion card, together with images (click on the scaled version to see them full size) but it can get a little unresponsive on the Treo 600.

Ed
    Were you able to scan a book into PDF and then read it on the Treo 600?
    Does Plucker actually work with the Treo 600/OS5? I just installed it and get an error message when I try to open it. It says "this device cannot handle ZLib compressed databases" then it does a soft reset.
    Another iSilo benefit-- it will search thru all files in its directory ON THE CARD, quickly and easily. This is especially handy for those of us who use iSilo instead of AvantGo, gathering all sorts of web-based data, on a regular hands-off scheduled basis. It remains one of a small handful of apps which TRULY/transparently make excellent use of expansion cards.
  19.    #19  
    I can't get iSilo v.4.0 autoscroll to work on my T600. Does anyone else have a problem with this function?
  20.    #20  
    I gave up on iSilo because autoscrolling wouldn't work. After trying many out, I fell in love with TIBR Pro. Small footprint and terrific features, including ReadThemAll-type scrolling (at variable speeds) and FontBucket support, at $10!

http://www.indevsoftware.com/products/tibr/tibr_pro/

"ReadThemAll uses a revolutionary concept that enables your eyes to move the same way they do when reading this page… the same way they do when reading a regular ink-on paper page. While you read lines on one part of the page, ReadThemAll is refreshing lines on the other part. When you get to the end of the page, instead of having to press a button (to turn to the next page) you just move your eyes to the top of the page where the lines have been replaced with the next page and start all over again. It's a completely natural way to read."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast