Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1.    #101  
    555-1212.com is operating once again. so we're OK for now.

I still plan to re-write DA to access a different site though, beacuse of the reliability and SPEED issues. Right now I am leaning toward m.yp.com since it offers both white and yellow pages, is PDA oriented, and it's FAST. Infospace has PDA pages, but their white pages appear to haave been out of service for quite a while.

The problem with using Yahoo's (or anybody's) regular pages is the size. I can't stress enough that the pages need to be PDA oriented. The same search with both Yahoo and m.yp.com yields sizes of 29K vs. 3K respectively. That's a LOT of differerence on a PDA and would have the larger page take about as long to transfer and the current 555-1212 search takes (because their sever is slow). So, to gain any advantage over using 555-1212 I need to find a reliable mobile site. I''m not finished looking, but right now m.yp.com looks the best so far.
    Is there any site that allows yellow page search by zipcode? Without this feature this will be fairly difficult to sift through. I am in Los Angeles and if I search "Starbuck's" I get six million listings. I like Yahoo Yellow Pages because I can search from any zipcode & turn up results that are close to that zipcode. It also allowsme to save favorite locations. I hope you can find a usable site that would incorporate search by zip code not just city. Us Angelenos or New Yorkers may appreciate this feature. Thanx.
    Found the perfetc PDA freindly site you could use for DA:

www.go2online.com

note that if you go there on pc, it will be full site. If you go there from your pda, it recognizes it and takes you to a fully stripped mobile version.

Most importantly you can search via ZIPCODE!! Woohoo!
    This would be perfect. You can also set up a free account if you want it to remeber your locations or favorites when you come back. If you don't use it for DA, I'll just book mark it anyway.

This is perfect...
    Does Go2 work for you? I searched for a couple of things in Pasadena and it returned some distant locations ahead of nearby ones.
    works goodfor me. did you search from zipcode or pasadena? when i search los angeles, doesnot yield sane results as 90028...
    Originally posted by rlwhitt
    555-1212.com is operating once again. so we're OK for now.

I still plan to re-write DA to access a different site though, beacuse of the reliability and SPEED issues. Right now I am leaning toward m.yp.com since it offers both white and yellow pages, is PDA oriented, and it's FAST. Infospace has PDA pages, but their white pages appear to haave been out of service for quite a while.

The problem with using Yahoo's (or anybody's) regular pages is the size. I can't stress enough that the pages need to be PDA oriented. The same search with both Yahoo and m.yp.com yields sizes of 29K vs. 3K respectively. That's a LOT of differerence on a PDA and would have the larger page take about as long to transfer and the current 555-1212 search takes (because their sever is slow). So, to gain any advantage over using 555-1212 I need to find a reliable mobile site. I''m not finished looking, but right now m.yp.com looks the best so far.
    I think m.yp.com would be an excellent choice. In my experience, it has been very reliable and fast.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    For a local starbucks locator, i'd suggest purchasing a subscription to Vindigo. You can input the intersection that you are in, and it will sort searches by walking distance. It's much better suited than DA for that particular use.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    It's a shame this no longer works for Starbucks locating...
    Originally posted by Preston
    Does Go2 work for you? I searched for a couple of things in Pasadena and it returned some distant locations ahead of nearby ones.

Oddly enough, Go2 was more accurate for me once I created an account than when I tried it at first. Perhaps that is because when I created the account I specified the city and the zip, rather than the zip? It shouldn't be, but it is working better now.
  10.    #110  
    It looks like 555-1212 has finally shut down free Palm access for good. There is an actual error message page now that tells the story if you try to access http://www.555-1212.com/palm/

I am going to go ahead and modify DA to access a new server (probably m.yp.com). No ETA, but I hope to work on it this weekend and get to at least a Beta stage.
    I love m.yp.com; however, it does have a weird glitch in Blazer. When you try to find a business in a city with two names (like "new britain"), you get an error that the state is blank. It doesn't happen with one-word cities.

It doesn't happen in WebViewer; however, WV doesn't allow you to dial within it, so functionality within Blazer is huge for me.
    Last edited by Bujin; 02/18/2004 at 07:33 AM.
    Originally posted by Bujin
    I love m.yp.com; however, it does have a weird glitch in Blazer. When you try to find a business in a city with two names (like "new britain"), you get an error that the state is blank. It doesn't happen with one-word cities.

It doesn't happen in WebViewer; however, WV doesn't allow you to dial within it, so functionality within Blazer is huge for me.

I've encountered that same glitch as well. In California, there are LOTS of cities that have two names........
  13.    #113  
    Probably easily resolved with translating that to "new+britain".

Originally posted by Bujin

Originally posted by rlwhitt
    Probably easily resolved with translating that to "new+britain".

Cool.....thanks! I tried putting in quotes, but not the plus sign.
    rlwhitt, any progress???
    anything new going on with DA?
    With the new firmware installed, DA crashes the Treo when I try to open the application. Great application! JUst wished it still works. Do I need to reinstall or something?
    <B>Design is a chain reaction:</B> we make design, and in turn,
    <B>design makes us.</B>
    Same here. I removed and re-installed. Now works fine.
    Bob
    Try uninstalling via App->Delete and then reinstalling. That seems to do the trick.

The official forum for DA support has nmoved to here http://www.pdaphonehome.com/forums/f...s=&forumid=154

...David
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456