Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    You didn't select Treo Web in prefs.

Originally posted by VaccPalm
    When I try to get directions it tells me WEB CLIPPING APPLICATION is not installed .

where do I get this application?

Thanks
    Thank you.
    All that I have to say is that this app is awesome! Great work.
    yep.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    I just stumbled upon mention of this app elsewhere, lamented that (as a PQA) it wouldn't work on Palm OS 5 -- and then saw news of this update!

Thanks so much -- it's great and very much appreciated! I really like it and have already put it on my "top 5" list of most useful Treo 600 add-ons.

Originally posted by JTREOB
    how is this app different then going to www.555-1212.com/Palm which does support the nav button? i've been working the above for directory assistance while in blazer on my 600, thus the nav works.. i bookmark it and its there whenever needed with the 5 way nav.

no need for an app.
    The difference between these two is night and day. Not only does Directory Assistant offer direction/map information, it is an APPLICATION and not just a crummy website. Therefore, there are shortcuts built in to it so you don't have to always type in the same strings. You can have it "look up" information from your own contacts. You can easily copy information to and from the application. And you can even have it automatically dial numbers with the Treo. To say there is "no need for an app" shows that you haven't actually USED Directory Assistant to appreciate it's elegance.

Thanks to Rick for updating such a wonderful utility for us Treo owners. And for free, no less. Rick has made my day. Keep up the great work!
    I was getting the "Web Clipping" needed message after trying to get directions and came here to hopefully find the answer and there it was!

Rlwhitt, Thanks for a GREAT App!
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Originally posted by Fofer
    I just stumbled upon mention of this app elsewhere, lamented that (as a PQA) it wouldn't work on Palm OS 5 -- and then saw news of this update!

Thanks so much -- it's great and very much appreciated! I really like it and have already put it on my "top 5" list of most useful Treo 600 add-ons.

The difference between these two is night and day. Not only does Directory Assistant offer direction/map information, it is an APPLICATION and not just a crummy website. Therefore, there are shortcuts built in to it so you don't have to always type in the same strings. You can have it "look up" information from your own contacts. You can easily copy information to and from the application. And you can even have it automatically dial numbers with the Treo. To say there is "no need for an app" shows that you haven't actually USED Directory Assistant to appreciate it's elegance.

Thanks to Rick for updating such a wonderful utility for us Treo owners. And for free, no less. Rick has made my day. Keep up the great work!
    crummy web site? were do you think your being taken to when using this app, phone number heaven. also, there are no strings when using the web site. you obviously have not visited .

as far as dialing from the web site, i can dial just fine from the web site information provided. the phone number gathered is linked to the phone dialer . i can look up a number and dial it without ever pulling the stylus out

as i stated earlier i prefer the 5 way nav and i prefer going directly to the web site and not through an app when possible. with maps i go to map quest. this treo 600 is unstable enough without loading up with more and more apps. i'm sure this app is fine, but my treo is running great and i prefer to limit the apps whenever i don't feel i'm missing that much. some simply go app sh.t over apps.

the creater has provided a nice app to which i have tried. 5 way nav will make it an even greater hit for its users, but for me i'll stick with web sites and the 5 way nav for now. they are quite useful and easy.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 11/18/2003 at 08:20 PM.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    crummy web site? were do you think your being taken to when using this app, phone number heaven.
    I recognize that the phone number information you end up getting is the same... so when I said "crummy," I wasn't referring to the content -- I was referring to the INTERFACE in getting there (which makes all the difference in the world when you're on-the-go, or lost.) A web site interface has some severe limitations... you can't *easily* copy-and-paste favorite addresses, or use it to quickly create a new contact in your PDA, to name a few.

Not to mention that Directory Assistant has some major ease-of-use advantages over MapQuest's web site. You can easily swap Origin and Destinations. It can remember frequently-used addresses so you don't have to re-type them manually every time, and even supports pasting directly from your Palm's addressbook.

(Although, Rick, I'd love for the "lookup" button to be able to paste in a FULL multi-field address with one tap, and not just one field at a time. Minor quibble, though.)

also, there are no strings when using the web site. you obviously have not visited .
    Oh yes I have, used to use it all the time! No, there are no strings. You have to re-type *everything* each time. At both 555-1212.com and mapquest.com! Not a big deal on the former, since I rarely look up the same name twice. But with MapQuest, it's certainly annoying to be manually typing in my OWN address as the ORIGIN every frickin' time I use it!

(Yes, Palm Web Pro, an alternative web browser, has text-auto-complete, which helps... but that's beside the point.)

as far as dialing from the web site, i can dial just fine from the web site information provided. the phone number gathered is linked to the phone dialer . i can look up a number and dial it without ever pulling the stylus out
    Agreed - this is a nice feature. But it's a function of Blazer, Treo's Web application, not the web site itself.

as i stated earlier i prefer the 5 way nav and i prefer going directly to the web site and not through an app when possible. with maps i go to map quest. this treo 600 is unstable enough without loading up with more and more apps. i'm sure this app is fine, but my treo is running great and i prefer to limit the apps whenever i don't feel i'm missing that much. some simply go app sh.t over apps.
    If your Treo 600 is regularly unstable then you have other problems to deal with. I haven't had any "instability" and I experiment with lots of new utilities all the time.

Hey, listen, DA is free. And the developer seems cool to add in features we request. Why deride it? It's a wonderful, free tool for the folks who appreciate it.

As far as looking up phone numbers, I'm impatient and am willing to pay the price for immediate gratification. With the delay, even on my relatively speedy PCS connection, I'm more likely to just call 411.

Personally it's the MapQuest component that I appreciate... it's fast enough and cuts out the clutter when I'm lost. Who else am I gonna call? Sure I've got OnStar in my car, but maybe now I won't have to renew. Hell, Rick might have just saved me hundreds of dollars per year!
    you have the great onstar in your car. no wonder why you see the mapquest feature as a need.. check out infiniti's nav system and you'll soon relize map quest is no longer needed. so the map quest feature is almost a moog point for me.

my treo i said was working fine. it's because i'm carefull about what i load. i have had enough palm os units that suggest there are a great many unstable apps. check the posts.

and yes i enjoy the 5 way nav, i prefer to not pull out the stylus.
    it just seems so outdated now.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 11/18/2003 at 09:28 PM.
    This app is awesome.

I just downloaded it after reading this thread and tried it out. Amazing. I'll use the hell out of this. This soooo much better than trying to use just a web page to find a number. And it does so much more.

Thanks for this.

Jtreob.... sorry you dont appreciate something like this, but to each his own. But why bother with the stylus? There is so little tapping actually involved I use my finger.

Rick, the only thing I would like to see (besides the 5 way of course, and its not critical) would be some color. But for the price, it's fantastic. Hell it'd be fantastic for $20.

Woof
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    you have the great onstar in your car. no wonder why you see the mapquest feature as a need.. check out infiniti's nav system and you'll soon relize map quest is no longer needed. so the map quest feature is almost a moog point for me.

my treo i said was working fine. it's because i'm carefull about what i load. i have had enough palm os units that suggest there are a great many unstable apps. check the posts.

and yes i enjoy the 5 way nav, i prefer to not pull out the stylus.
    it just seems so outdated now.
    I have OnStar because it's free for the first year. Maybe there's some online anti-OnStar discussion forum for GPS hobbyists or something, but so far it's been pretty useful to me, so I'm not complaining. Besides, some people don't have OnStar *or* Infiniti's Nav system. Just because the "map quest feature is a moot (moog?) point" for YOU, doesn't mean it's not useful and appreciated by others. The world is a big and varied place.

As far as Palm stability goes, it's pretty cut and dry. If an application causes you to crash, you delete it. No harm, no foul. There's no detritus left behind. And this program co-exists with others just fine. It doesn't slow anything down, isn't incompatible with anything. It just works, and it works well.

I guess I just take issue with your comment that there's "no need for an app" like this. Like you have something against the fact that it exists as an application. The software is free, and people like it! What's not to like?

Finally, yes, 5-way nav is nice. But even with programs that don't use it, I don't think I've pulled out my stylus once in the last three weeks!

Lack of 5-way nav support isn't reason enough to trash an app. And hey, Rick even mentioned he's working on the 5-way nav support. Maybe THEN you'll appreciate DA?
    I downloaded app and have made some test queries, but I keep getting error message "unexpected problem with the results response!"
    Quick question...

I've been using DA since my Treo 300 days (1 year of using Treos the Saturday after Thanksgiving, baby! ), but there's one thing I haven't been able to figure out how to do easily: Is there any way to take an entry from your address book and plot a map of it? Not driving directions, but a map. If DA doesn't do this, any applications for doing this?

Thanks in advance.
    I keep getting "error getting data".

It is set to TreoWeb. Anyone know what else might be wrong?

Thanks in advance,
    Ollie
  14.    #34  
    I've noticed that the 555-1212 server is really acting badly today.

Originally posted by FlyNTreo600
    I downloaded app and have made some test queries, but I keep getting error message "unexpected problem with the results response!"
    Originally posted by Fofer

I have OnStar because it's free for the first year. Maybe there's some online anti-OnStar discussion forum for GPS hobbyists or something, but so far it's been pretty useful to me, so I'm not complaining. Besides, some people don't have OnStar *or* Infiniti's Nav system. Just because the "map quest feature is a moot (moog?) point" for YOU, doesn't mean it's not useful and appreciated by others. The world is a big and varied place.

As far as Palm stability goes, it's pretty cut and dry. If an application causes you to crash, you delete it. No harm, no foul. There's no detritus left behind. And this program co-exists with others just fine. It doesn't slow anything down, isn't incompatible with anything. It just works, and it works well.

I guess I just take issue with your comment that there's "no need for an app" like this. Like you have something against the fact that it exists as an application. The software is free, and people like it! What's not to like?

Finally, yes, 5-way nav is nice. But even with programs that don't use it, I don't think I've pulled out my stylus once in the last three weeks!

Lack of 5-way nav support isn't reason enough to trash an app. And hey, Rick even mentioned he's working on the 5-way nav support. Maybe THEN you'll appreciate DA?
    you may want to pay more attention to reading my posts then correcting them. your leaps as to what i'm
    suggesting are a real stretch to say the least. they merit no response since there so foolish.

also, please take the time to consider the difference between need and want, and please take the time to read some other posts. you'll soon discover that bugged apps are not always a simple delete and all's well again. no harm no foul?

no stylus or similar in the last three weeks = no use of this app. so which is it?
    Last edited by JTREOB; 11/19/2003 at 10:51 PM.
    he just made a mod to the app, and it's now totally 5-way capable.

There are MAJOR differences btw the generic 555-1212 via Blazer, and this app. When I went to the 600, from my 300, I had to make do with the 555-1212 app, and let me tell you, from someone who's used them both extensively, there is a world of difference. I REALLY missed this app, and was so jazzed when Rick brought it back.
    Here's what you can do with DA, that you can't with 555-1212:
    - save all the lookups you've done, for later reference
    - save a lookup to your address book, automatically, with the entire address saved (more than just dialing via the linked phone number, and then later adding that dialed number as a contact)
    - after a lookup is found, use that lookup for map origin and/or destination (point being to minimize text recreation, which is the WHOLE point of a converged device)
    - simple creation of directions entries, via address book lookup

There's probably more - those are the ones I use on a DAILY basis. In fact, my family depends on me now to look stuff up, since I can get directions and a map RIGHT away, no matter where I am.

Sure I could search via 555-1212.com, and then jot down the address details, and then type that into mapquest, again all via Blazer, but why do that when there's a better way, AND now, one that uses all the 5-way functions.
    It's awesome.
    Where is the version posted? The one on the site says 2.01 still.

Hey JTREOB, with all due respect we get that you don't like it already. Can you leave it be? I think most of us that read this thread are very greatful for the app and aren't really to concerned about what some guy we don't even know thinks.
    Last edited by Cory Streater; 11/19/2003 at 11:08 PM.
    Originally posted by Cory J
    Where is the new 5way NAV version posted? The one on the site says 2.01 still.

Hey JTREOB, with all due respect we get that you don't like it already. Can you leave it be? I think most of us that read this thread are very greatful for the app and aren't really to concerned about what some guy we don't even know thinks.

the creater has provided a nice app to which i have tried. 5 way nav will make it an even greater hit for its users.
    hey cory j , what part of previous statement ,that i posted earlier, don't you understand? or do you just like to make sh.t up as you go along?
    Last edited by JTREOB; 11/20/2003 at 12:25 AM.
    Here's something strange:

Stragely, with my GSM 600, I receive a results screen, but all the items in the scrollable list are blank! However, phone numbers are indicated at the bottom of the screen as I "scroll" through the blank entries. The one numbers are correct, so results ARE being found - just not displayed in the scrollable list. Hmmm.

As the readme indicates:

"After a successful search (or selecting "Show Last Results" from the main screen, you will see a scrollable list of result entries. For Business queries you may actually see more entries in the Results than requested because some businesses return more than 1 phone # and a separate entry is made for each."

Anyone have any suggestions? What could be causing this?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast