1.    #1  
    I have a Cingular account, but my default phone is T-Mobile. I am thinking about getting a Treo 600. Since the Cingular Treo is unlocked, I might just get a Cingular phone before November 24 using the trade up option. I might consider waiting for the T-Mobile phone if it were unlocked, like the Cingular.

Has anyone heard for sure whether the T-Mobile will be unlocked? I have always wondered whether that is the hold up, since T-Mobile seems to lock all their phones.
    mobilelawyer
    at your service
  2.    #2  
    BUMP

Somebody has got to know the answer to this question!!!
    mobilelawyer
    at your service
    No one can tell. Not a single person here, or anywhere that I have seen has one from Tmobile. Tmo has been EXTREAMLY tight liped about it.

If you look at what we do know though, it doesnt look promising. They have been "working" on somthing that their engineers dont agree with.
    OK, now that there are Cingular600s out there, could somebody do a side-by-side T-Mo 270 / Cing 600 / Unlocked (european) 600 GPRS speed comparison on T-Mobile to see if these worries about slower speed on the cingular600 are baseless?
    I have a Treo 270 from T-Mobile, a Cingular Treo 600, and an unbranded Treo 600. Both Treo 600's are the same speed on my T-Mobile account and easily faster than my 270. I haven't done any scientific measurements, but it's clearly visible and reproducible.

I have no idea or why to tell if a T-Mobile Treo 600 would be faster or not, but the currently available Treo 600 is definitely faster than a T-Mobile branded Treo 270.
    My guess, if you look at the T270's, would be yes, they'll be SIM locked.
    YES!

T-Mobile Branded Treo 600s (unlike cingular's) WILL BE LOCKED!
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Sorry, But what exactly does locked mean?

Can I still remove the sim and use it on another phone?
    Originally posted by WeeBitObsessed
    YES!

T-Mobile Branded Treo 600s (unlike cingular's) WILL BE LOCKED!
    How do you know that? You're so certain about it.

Do we know if HS will be offering the upgrade discount for unlocked, unbranded phones?
    Originally posted by Sprinter

How do you know that? You're so certain about it.

Just check my former posts... my information is ALWAYS good.

-Mike
    Originally posted by omoanya
    Sorry, But what exactly does locked mean?

Can I still remove the sim and use it on another phone?
    You can use the sim in another phone, but you can't use the phone with a non t-mo sim.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Guess I will be ordering a Cingular T600 before the price reduction offer runs out. Then put my T-Mo sim in it.

So this is what I was waiting for
    Well that makes things a bit harder to decide... but only because of number portability. Currently, I'm a T-Mo user and like their service and plan on staying with them. However... if another carrier comes along with a better deal further down the road, I'd like to be able to switch over and still use my phone. Of course that may never happen, but it's nice to have the option to do so if needed.

Decisions decisions....
    Originally posted by WeeBitObsessed

Just check my former posts... my information is ALWAYS good.

-Mike
    No offense meant, but I don't believe that. I *do* believe the T-Mobile Treo 600s could be sim-locked, but about your information always being good...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=40588 says otherwise. I've seen no evidence that 3500 GSM units shipped (to CUSTOMERS, not Cingular) on Nov 2.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    Originally posted by jennyfur
    Well that makes things a bit harder to decide... but only because of number portability. Currently, I'm a T-Mo user and like their service and plan on staying with them. However... if another carrier comes along with a better deal further down the road, I'd like to be able to switch over and still use my phone. Of course that may never happen, but it's nice to have the option to do so if needed.

Decisions decisions....
    Oh silly me, I just remembered someone mentioned that after 90 days T-mobile would be able to give an unlock code. I doubt I'd be switching carriers faster than that so it's probably not going to be an issue. Especially since that would probably mean breaking a contract and getting charged $$$$$$. So guess I'll just wait... although judging by other threads going on around here, that wait may be quite some time....