1.    #1  
    http://gfamad.chez.tiscali.fr/MMTutorialEnglish.htm

gonna try this tomorrow... looks promising
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    It's interesting, and it'll help you understand the various settings, but a lot of his warnings don't seem to apply the Treo 600, probably because the movies are all smaller.
    Max size on the Treo is 160x160, so there's 1/4 the number of pixels of say a 320x320 movie so you
    1. will get B frames if you want.
    2. can set the framerate faster than 16fps.. For instance, if I benchmark a 2 minute clip in MMplayer it says it can handle 39.9 fps. I think most of my videos for the Treo are encoded at 30fps already.
    3. can encode at a bitrate much higher than his recommended 88kbps. Folks here are using settings as high as 192kbps. Only real reason you'd use less is if you want to save space.

The audio interleave setting at 1 frame surprises me. I've rarely ever seen it needing to be set that low. I need to see if the treo profile is already doing that or not.

There's some more information on the mmplayer site as well.
    http://www.mmplayer.com/encoding.php

ian
  3.    #3  
    i got it working... encoding video at 96kbps and audio at 96kbps and 22050hz.

If i try using 41khz or 48khz sound it doesnt work... too much for the treo to decode...

i dont really see any difference encoding the video any higher... so I think its not worth it

anyone using higher settings?
    Originally posted by wolfbeast
    i got it working... encoding video at 96kbps and audio at 96kbps and 22050hz.

If i try using 41khz or 48khz sound it doesnt work... too much for the treo to decode...

i dont really see any difference encoding the video any higher... so I think its not worth it

anyone using higher settings?
    I'm using the same settings.
    I'm trying to use MMPlayer, and I have Dr. Divx. I cant get MMPlayer to even see a video file to put in the play list. I know its gotta besomething simple, any idea's what i am doing wrong?

I have MMPlayer installed with the treo 600 skin

I convert say the return of the king trailer with dr.Divx, put it on my treo, and bummer....nothing.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    What's the filename? And where did you put it on the SD card?
    I created a directory called /VIDEOS on the card, and put everything in there. In MMPlayer, go to Playlist, then Add, click in the upper right corner to select the card (should be second in the list.. may not have a name), then browse to the location of your video, hilight it.. hit Ok. Now it's in the playlist. Select it, hit play, and switch to the Main tab.

ian
    I just noticed today.....well, let me start by saying that I could not encode audio at 96 @22050....I did not even have this option on my computer. I did however, encode at 40 @ 22050. This worked fine for me.

OK back to the original thought.....Today I was showing someone the little clip of movie that I encoded to mmplayer....and it reset. A bit embarrassing at first, only to become even more so, when it reset another 4 times while trying. I decided to have a seat and figure out what the problem must be....after all it worked this weekend while at home. I found that the repeat button must be pressed in order for my movie to play.

I also noted this weekend that playing the movie in "window" mode looked messed up. Full screen was fine, I just couldn't see any controls (except for the progress bar that kept blinking in and out). No big deal, since the full screen worked, but found it odd to say the least.......

....now that I'm done writing this, I feel I should check the mmplayer forum for the same problems before I post in here.....oh well, too late

Anyone else having similar difficulties?
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Yes, I had similar problems (including a dozen resets in a row), until I realized that the MMplayer zip file does not include the Treo 600 skin. It must be downloaded and installed separately. Now it plays fine in non-full screen mode. Much more stable. I do find it will still crash 100% of the time if I turn the Treo off while still in MMplayer (or if it turns itself off). When I turn it back on, it does a soft reset. Sometimes it just resets switching to another app (after stopping the playback) But in general, since getting the right skin, I've had very few problems with my own encoded videos, some running as high as 192kbps with high motion.

I did disable the "bitrate is too high" warning message, and doubled the sizes of the video and audio buffers to deal with some of my more demanding content, but otherwise it's been fine.

ian
    Can I ask what the settings are you use in VirtualDub to make these? I can make movies that play fine in the player but whenever there is large amounts of movement I get major pixelation until the panning slows down and then it looks fine (by the way it looks fine throughout the entire film when I view it on a PC). Here are my settings... what should I change? Also, I'm using MMPlayer JobMaker0.4 to build the job files...

video:
    160x120
    24 fps
    96k bitrate
    bidirectional encoding = yes

audio:
    16000, 24k bitrate, mono
    interleave = 1

Also, on the MMPlayer on the unit I have a buffer set of 256k for video and audio... thanks for any help.
    Last edited by cdawg; 11/24/2003 at 10:38 PM.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    My settings sound pretty close to what you're using, but at a higher bitrate.

For instance mine are 190kbps total bitrate.. 24kbps audio (16000Hz Mono) at 24fps.
    I don't recall if I turned on B-frames.. I don't think so.
    Oh.. one thing I did do, was turn audio interleaving down to 1 in 5 frames instead of 1 per frame (conceptually the latter seems like it would be more processor intensive, and subjectively I think it has helped both keep the buffers smaller and ironically, keep the audio a bit more in sync).

You might try futzing with the max keyframe interval in the DiVX compression settings. If I recall mine is set fairly high. Has the downside that image quality may suffer a little bit sometimes, but it should improve movement.

A copy of my last used Virtualdub profile (careful of the resize filter.. it's custom) and 3 fairly high motion videos I made are here
    http://www.houseofthud.com/deleteme/treovids
    The mtzion video (R/C slope glider flying set to music) is 8MB 192kbps.
    The jugge R32 video (will be my next car) is 2.7MB 290kbps (no kidding)
    and the second creek video (my driving on a race track) 5MB 90kbps

Can see the effect of the large keyframes in the jugge video near the end, where it hasn't taken a keyframe in a while, so quality suffers across a scene transition.

ian
    Ian,

I'm impressed with the .Avi file that you created for the Jugge R32 video. Can I assume that you are using DivX and VirtualDub to create the viedo's? What are you other settings?

I've been racking my brain for a while and can't get output that "colorful". All of my .Avi's seem drab and extremely pixelated.

Thanks,
    Dave Lindberg
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfbeast
    http://gfamad.chez.tiscali.fr/MMTutorialEnglish.htm

gonna try this tomorrow... looks promising

Hey checkout the new freeware app called Jobmaker instead! Makes ripping via virtualdub a breeze!!

http://www.mmplayerjobmaker.tk/

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    You might want to increase the size of the audio and video buffers in MMPlayer. I've used 4mb for video and 1 mb for audio.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Ok, what do you think about this video I made for Treo 600?

video 320kbps 30fps 160x120
    audio 48 kbit/s (stereo 22100 Hz)
    size:9,5 Mb
    http://www.hc.lv/bad_religion320.avi

Looks and sounds great on my Treo600 with TCPMP media player!

I used video found here as source.