1.    #1  
    Ok, so I couldn't figure out what the deal was with all the interest with the Skullcandy units, until I realized that there must be a bunch of you out there who have a mp3 player other than your T600. I.e. you have two units to which you want to simultaneously connect one set of headphones.

Yes?

I originally didn't "get" it because my T600 is becoming my "ultra-portable" mp3 player -- in contrast to my "portable" mp3 player, which is my lapstation (equipped with a second 60GB hard disk for tunes, and one of these nifty sound cards: http://www.echoindigo.com/).

So, it seems to me that if one is using the T600 as both a music player and a pda-phone, the Skullcandy solution with it's two seperate input cables and Link(tm) switchbox is not very interesting (except of course that their headphones sound like they are of nice quality and all).

Yes?

mobileuser
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Originally posted by mobileuser
    Ok, so I couldn't figure out what the deal was with all the interest with the Skullcandy units, until I realized that there must be a bunch of you out there who have a mp3 player other than your T600. I.e. you have two units to which you want to simultaneously connect one set of headphones.

Yes?

I originally didn't "get" it because my T600 is becoming my "ultra-portable" mp3 player -- in contrast to my "portable" mp3 player, which is my lapstation (equipped with a second 60GB hard disk for tunes, and one of these nifty sound cards: http://www.echoindigo.com/).

So, it seems to me that if one is using the T600 as both a music player and a pda-phone, the Skullcandy solution with it's two seperate input cables and Link(tm) switchbox is not very interesting (except of course that their headphones sound like they are of nice quality and all).

Yes?

mobileuser
    I think the interest in the SkullCandy headphones is not in their current line of offerings, but in a product currently in development (I'll speak for myself on this one). You are correct that the headphones they currenly make are for two separate devices (Phone and MP3 player). But, they are currently working on a version of their headphones that is specifically built for the Treo 600 and therefore only has one plug, but still offers dual capability: listen to music and answer the phone. Hope this helps.
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by jeeter

they are currently working on a version of their headphones that is specifically built for the Treo 600 and therefore only has one plug, but still offers dual capability: listen to music and answer the phone.
    Yes, that seemed to be implied way down in that tangled thread but it wasn't terribly clear. Yes, such a beast would be of interest IMHO.

mobileuser
    the only way to make the headset switch between phone and headphone mode would be a physical switch or an IC logic that would switch based on impedance.

my guess is the physical switch would be used.

the IC logic would cost too much to develop with such a low volume product. remember, the treo has a 3-pole jack. the treo is very smart getting everything to work, actually.
    I just ordered one that I think does both. Here's the link:
    http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductD...ode=HMESVOT-SL

I won't know until I ge tit, but the claims:

- It is a hands free device that you can use to make phone calls with. It also doubles as a set of headphones.
    - It comes with microphone and volume control.
    Perfect for MP3, games and all audio playback.
    - Comfortable in-the-ear design for discrete listening.
    - Plug directly into your Treo 600 headset jack.
    - Over the neck design.
    Originally posted by tmaszk
    Hmm, looks like the stuff, but seems kind of suspicious that they warn about delay - I wonder if it's been manufactured yet?

Personally, I'm hoping that skullcandy or someone comes out with one that I can plug my own 3.5mm headphones into and also use with my car line-in. I'm kind of picky about the quality, and like different types in different situations...
    Nice People Suck Less.
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by tmaszk
    super, thanks for posting that. [I've been on the international road, hence latency here].

That "Seidio Hands Free Stereo Headphones for Treo 600" unit looks pretty cool, but they aren't "retractable". and these days I'm not getting wired gizmos that aren't retractable.

However, in looking at the zip-linq and jabra retractable gizmos I do have, it seems to me that if one could fine a source for the retractors, one could rather easily retro-fit units like the Sedio one with a retractor, and then voila' - I'd be set.

mobileuser
    So there's a plan to make a Skull Candy model for the Treo 600?

Dates?

I have some $300 Entymotic earbuds, I would love to use them with the SkullCandy LINK version that allows you to substitute your own headphones.
    Here is the deal on Skullcandy....

I am getting pretty freindly with them...

1) There are two units currently being produced by skullcandy, both should be out soon, they are begining extensive testing...

• Skullcandy with only one plug (Acts as a phone headset and Stereo Headphones without needing an adaptor)
    • Skullcandy with two plugs (Acts as a phone headset and Stereo Headphones without needing an adaptor, and also allows you to use your iPod if you desire to listen to music and still have only one wire.) (This is why skullcandys were invented!)

All skull candy prducts are available in 3 variaties:

[list=1]
    [*]Earbuds (iPod Style)
    [*]Backphones (Behind the head style)
    [*]Jacked (Use your own headphone... but this can be annoying due to wire lengths)[/list=1]

I hope that this helps.

-Mike
    Originally posted by WeeBitObsessed

All skull candy prducts are available in 3 variaties:

[list=1]
    [*]Earbuds (iPod Style)
    [*]Backphones (Behind the head style)
    [*]Jacked (Use your own headphone... but this can be annoying due to wire lengths)[/list=1]
    Thanks for the info. Any idea if the earbud style will have a retractable cord? That would be ideal.
    This is to try to end all the Skullcandy confusion... Mike is correct about what we are doing.

First:
    Currently, Skullcandy Link is a pair of stereo headphones with TWO plugs instead of just one. One goes in your cellphone (ie Treo 600) and the other goes into an EXTERNAL music player. this allows all the iPod / MP3 / CD / minidisc junkies of the world to have the 600 (or any other phone) ring directly into their headphones while still listening to their music.

Second:
    For those of you who want to listen to pocket-tunes on the 600 (just like me), and have the 600 pause the music when a call comes in and answer into the same headphones, you'll have to wait about a month. We are building it now. This unit will only have one plug to do it all on the 600.

Last:
    If you want to connect an external music player to any of your Treo products, these are the models you need:

Treo 270 & 300: you want the Nokia 2.5mm unit.
    Treo 600: you want the Universal 2.5mm

You can buy them all over the web, or at www.skullcandy.com

If you have any questions at all, email this dude: cris@skullcandy.com

peace.
    Originally posted by Skullcandy

For those of you who want to listen to pocket-tunes on the 600 (just like me), and have the 600 pause the music when a call comes in and answer into the same headphones, you'll have to wait about a month. We are building it now. This unit will only have one plug to do it all on the 600.
    It's been about a month, any update on the availability of this?
    Originally posted by wcarlson40

It's been about a month, any update on the availability of this?
    I talked to a guy at Skullcandy a week or so ago and he said probably late February for the T600-specific headphones. They'll most likely offer both an earbud and backphone version, and it'll be about $30.

I also asked if they'd have a retractable cord -- which is really important to me -- and they weren't planning on it, but sounded like if lots of people requested it, they might consider. So, if it's of interest to you, please let them know (435) 940-1545 or info@skullcandy.com.

Finally, the guy I talked to was nice, but sounded kinda stoned, so I'm taking everything he said with a grain of salt (they are in Salt Lake, after all). If anyone finds out more, please post here.

-David
  14. tb3
    Bummer... the date has now gone from mid-December to the end of February. The snow must be good in Utah this year...
    Originally posted by tb3
    Bummer... the date has now gone from mid-December to the end of February. The snow must be good in Utah this year...
    I'll bet. Although as I said, he sounded stoned, so maybe it's not the snow but the grass (or a different kind of snow?) :O

Anyway, YMMV about any answers you get, so may want to call to get a date update (and petition for retractable cord!). The guy I spoke to was just a CS rep, so perhaps you'll get a better answer from someone who doesn't ski or, um, play in the grass.