1.    #1  
    Needless to say, I want a T600. My problem is that I live most of the year in France, where all the Treos have AZERTY keyboards and the French version of Palm. I was resigned to waiting for the unlocked GSM Treos to become available and then buying one on my next trip to the US. However...

Last week, while in London, I wandered into an indepedendent cell phone shop where the owner said he could sell me an unlocked Orange Treo for 350 pounds. The basic deal was this: I would get the regular subsidized phone and pay the whole year's minimum subscription up front. Somehow this added up to only 350 pounds. He could then unlock the phone and I could take it back to France and sign up with Orange there. I travel to the UK often enough to make good use of the UK Orange SIM. The deal seemed too good to be true.

My worries are: 1- The UK dealer can't really unlock the Orange phone legitimately, and when I get to France they will refuse (or be unable) to make it work. 2- He might claim the phone is unlocked, but really have done nothing, and then play dumb after the sale.

Is there some function on the phone itself that can tell you whether it is locked or unlocked?

I go back to London in 3 weeks. Does anyone know why I shouldn't do this?
    Last edited by treonaut; 11/16/2003 at 06:15 AM.
    To be on the safe side, I would bring a SIM card from another service provider (buy a prepaid card, for instance) and slip it into the Treo in the Orange store when the guy there has supposedly unlocked it. If your SIM works, you should be OK.

One thing, though: make sure that the SIM you bring is supposed to work outside France (I know that several prepaid SIM cards here in Norway doesn't work outside the country of origin unless they have a minimum amount of funds in reserve or if there's a special deal arranged).

/Christopher

(picking up my unlocked GSM Treo 600 at the post office first thing on Monday! Got it from Mobilefly in Singapore - $729.99 - expensive, yes, but still better than Treostore)
    This is basically the legitimate unlocking deal that anyone who gets an Orange UK Treo can get, HOWEVER the one problem might be signing up for the Orange account in the first place as they expect you to have a UK billing address and pass a credit check.

Maybe this is where your 'friendly' dealer is doing a bit of a dodgy deal... or possibly he just hadn't thought it through.
    Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Treo 180g -> Treo 600 (UK GSMrevA)
    ...if you can live with an ENGLISH version of the PALM OS, just do a HARD RESET and choose english as default language.

you can find details on how to HARD RESET under REINITIALIZATION MATERIELLE in the french manual.

cheers,
    a.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by koros
    ...if you can live with an ENGLISH version of the PALM OS, just do a HARD RESET and choose english as default language.

you can find details on how to HARD RESET under REINITIALIZATION MATERIELLE in the french manual.

cheers,
    a.

koros,

MERCI BEAUCOUP for this information. The tech person in my local Orange store looked in vain for a way to change the default language, but he mostly works with phones, where it is usually a menu choice. It is the PALM version more than the keyboard that concerns me, and your HARD RESET is clearly the answer. I think I can live with the misplaced keys.

The manual says that a HARD RESET will erase all third-party software. Obviously, I won't have any of my own installed software at first, but I know that Orange also installs some extra features. Do you know if these would also be erased in the HARD RESET? Can they be re-installed later? (I can probably live without them anyway).

I am psyched! I may have my Treo before the week is over.
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by tgabber
    This is basically the legitimate unlocking deal that anyone who gets an Orange UK Treo can get, HOWEVER the one problem might be signing up for the Orange account in the first place as they expect you to have a UK billing address and pass a credit check.
    Yes, this surprised me too. The dealer acknowledged that you were supposed to have a UK address to sign up, but told me I could get around it by paying the whole year up front. I can't believe its that simple. Orange UK has to send me a bill, even if its full of credit. But he seemed confident he could get around it, and once I have the unblocked phone (that works) the problem becomes theirs and not mine.
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by grenness
    To be on the safe side, I would bring a SIM card from another service provider (buy a prepaid card, for instance) and slip it into the Treo in the Orange store when the guy there has supposedly unlocked it. If your SIM works, you should be OK.

One thing, though: make sure that the SIM you bring is supposed to work outside France (I know that several prepaid SIM cards here in Norway doesn't work outside the country of origin unless they have a minimum amount of funds in reserve or if there's a special deal arranged).
    Can I just use the SIM from the pre-paid French Orange phone I already own, which does work in the UK?
    hello again,

YES, all basic applications included from orange will be there after HARD RESET.

i had it done for mine myself and it all went smoothly...

...i believe you can use your other FRENCH ORANGE GSM card with it as long as you buy the TREO with no new contract; otherwise seems logic that they ask for you to pay 12 months on a new number; on the other hand i might be wrong on this.

let us know what the reseller says; this is one thing he should know about.

9.    #9  
    Originally posted by koros
    YES, all basic applications included from orange will be there after HARD RESET.

i had it done for mine myself and it all went smoothly...

...i believe you can use your other FRENCH ORANGE GSM card with it as long as you buy the TREO with no new contract; otherwise seems logic that they ask for you to pay 12 months on a new number; on the other hand i might be wrong on this.

let us know what the reseller says; this is one thing he should know about.
    hello koros,

So you have actually done this and are using a French Orange T600 with the Palm OS set up in a language other than French? I have just read the docs (in French and English) concerning the Hard Reset and they both state "IF" the language selection screen appears, do this... That suggests the possiblility that some T600s don't have the language selection function, but I'm sure all the Orange phones should work the same.

I am going to my local Orange store tomorrow. If there are no other complications I will buy the phone there and forget about the UK reseller.

Thanks again for your insight. Without it I might have gone Treo-less for another month or two.
    you are most welcome !