Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    How do you use a SMTP server that requires authentication with Treo600 Mail?? Anyone?

It appears to not support SMTP servers that How require uthentication. I don't know about you guys, but I don't want someone using my SMTP server to spam the world.

Guess I'll have to stick with VersaMail 2.5. VersaMail is a much more robust program but it does not support the 5 way button.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Are you tring to send with a different Smtp then the PCS one? If so, use the PCS SMTP and you can change the email address to reflec what account you want to use.

On my Road Runner. I have my XXX@Austin.rr.com in the Email address feild. Use RR POP3 server and Sprints SMTP to send. Works fine for me that way.

I hope I am answeringf your question.
    oh yea....
    SMTP.SprintPCS.com

Also make sure you have your Vision name and password in the Advanced tab for outgoing mail too...
  4.    #4  
    Thanks, but I still can't make it work. How do I find out my vision password. Is it the same as the password on my phone account? If so, it does not work.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    In most cases it's the same. Mine is different, go to the SPrintPCS website and see which one you need to view your PCS mail with (on the website). Not the password to get into the account, but the one you need to view the PCS mail with. If it goes stright there, then it's the same password. If it prompts you for one, then it that one.

Good luck grasshopper....May the PCS force be with you
    Here is a test, can you set it up to view your PCS mail? Try that first, that will at least give you a base line and prove what Vision password you have to use.
  7.    #7  
    I went to the spring website and it let me into mail without password. I found a place on the Vision part of the sprint website to change my password. It did notask for my old one and it let my change it. Strange? It said it takes 10 minutes to 4 hours to take effect. Hopefully it will work.
    Thanks again
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I did it again...sorry...

pop.sprintpcs.com

smtp.sprintpcs.com

does anyone know if it is case sensitive?
  9.    #9  
    Dam, it does not work, and I can sign on to vision no problem. I can send mail with versamail using my own smtp server which requires authentication. No such luck with Handspring mail. Oh well. I'll just stick with VersaMail unless Handspings adds SMTP authentication...
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Sorry for the goose chase....

We tried.....
  11. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I am using tampabay.rr.com (roadrunner) as my pop, but, smtp is sprint. All be damned if I can't get that sum b i t c h to work. I need some help. It is refusing all my smtp entries. Who has got a working smtp? For those of you who have a working smtp please let me know how you got it to that state.
    I have the name tab set to RR info. the server tab as RR for POP and PCS for SMTP. Advanced tab has no SSL boxes checked. along with my PCS username and password too. can you at least get you PCS email to work on the client?
  13. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    smtp= smtp.sprintpcs.com, also tried Smtp." " , also SMTP." "

just my username no @sprintpcs.com (I have tried this both ways)
    my password
    no ssl check

is anyone else having this problem with smtp servers?

This sucks!
  14. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    wonder if that means it took the smtp server with it?
    Just in case some earlier sections of this thread were mistaken as fact... the Mail app (GSM and beta CDMA versions) supports SMTP authentication fully.

I thought I would add a few words on SMTP auth just to help clarify what this is all about:

In the old days you dialed your ISP who was also your email service provider. The modem your dialed into sat in their premises and your password clearly identified you at an approved point of entry. They had no problem allowing you to recceive and to send email. A SPAM offender could easily be locked out by cancelling their dialin account.

Later, SPAMmers discovered that almost all SMTP servers (for sending mail) were open to anyone connected to the Internet to send email - your diaup point was no longer the point of control. Even if you were an Earthlink account holder, you could send email from smtp.myisp.com server. This was known as an open relay SMTP server. Spammers sent vast quantities of useless junk in this way until the ISPs became wise and added protections. These protections were called SMTP authentication.

Nowadays, you have to get 'within the cirle of trust' of an SMTP server to be able to send email. Note that I did not say it had to be your ISPs email server - just any SMTP server which will relay your email to the recipient.

The key factor for Treo users is that we are connecting to the internet via our wireless service provider. We are not connecting via our dialup connections of old. If you try to send a mail without configuring your pop3 email client fully, it is likely not to be sent because the SMTP server does not recognize the IP domain from which your mail is being sent - i.e. the IP domain of your wireless service provider.

How do email service providers typically provide entry to the 'circle of trust' to allow email to be sent?
    1. Require you to POP before you send email.
    In other words, your POP session which fetches mail on the server has logged you into the receive portion of the mail server and this login is also used for the SMTP (sending) server for a limited period of time - perhaps 10 minutes.

This is the most common type of auth and is supported by HS Mail app by default. There is no configuration item for this feature - it just does it.

2. Provide an SMTP username and pasword and send this to the SMTP server.
    This is nearly always the same as the POP3 username/password. The server may require the username and password to be sent in an encrypted manner e.g. CRAM5. The HS Mail app tries to handshake in the most secure way first and then tries plaintext. Again there is no UI for this - it just does it. You see more UI in apps like Eudora mail where you can specify these geeky details.

3. SMTP via SSL
    More rarely used but essentially the send portion of the session is held entirely in SSL encrypted files.

4. IP limited SMTP server
    If you are trying to send via an SMTP server that only allows access to specific IP ranges, you are pretty much out of luck. No email client will bypass this protection. Comcast behave this way from what I hear.

Say my IP address for my Treo is set at 244.1.2.45 and Comcast requires any computer using its SMTP server to be in the range 167.1.3.x, your mail will never get sent.

Actually there is an exception, some services like Visto MessageXpress have special SSL links to many ISPs where their mail services are trusted.

So what do you do if you dont want to pay for Visto service and you have an IP limited mail server like Comcast?

Use another SMTP server - such as the Sprint SMTP server. The key factor with SMTP servers from wireless networks like Sprint is determining if they allow relay of other email domains besides their own Sprint customer mail accounts. i.e. if I am me@comcast.com will it send a mail from comcast.com domain or only allow sprint.com addresses to pass thru.
    NRG was able to get it to work. It was a password/username issue. As another user said, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR PASSOWRD TURNED ON AT THE SPRINT PCS SITE ON YOUR PCS mail.

Click here for a link to how they got it going...

Regards, Matt Burkhard
  17.    #17  
    Originally posted by mwomwom
    Just in case some earlier sections of this thread were mistaken as fact... the Mail app (GSM and beta CDMA versions) supports SMTP authentication fully.
    No offense, but you are mistaken. SMTP authentication is yet another way to get in the "circle of trust" with your STMP servers. Not all SMTP server support authentication, but mine does. I have my SMTP server setup to require it so that spammers can not get into my server's "circle of trust". All desktop mail programs and some of the better palm mail programes have a check box that says something like "My SMTP server requires authentication". Versamail has that check box and I am able to send mail from any of my accounts using my SMTP server using my authentication user name and password with Versamail. The Sprint / Treo beta mail program does not have that box. If I turn off authentication on the server side of my SMTP server I can send mail just fine using the Sprint / Treo beta mail program. With it on, I cannot. Therefore the sprint / Treo beta mail program does not support SMTP authentication
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I would rather use the smtp for my isp (rcn).

It works with snappermail

but not the treo600 mail

lou
    Last time I'll post this link, I promise - just trying to catch all the SMTP related threads for everyone's benefit.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t42053/s.html

Brandon
    HS Mail will use smtp auth whenever possible. If you enter a smtp user name and password, the HS Mail client will issue the smtp auth command if the server supports it (in response to the EHLO command the smtp server will return the list of supported commands and authentication schemes). It supports the cram-md5, login, and plain sasl authentication methods.

If you have a smtp server that doesn't work ( and works with another app on your treo. Certain ISPs require you to be logged in using their data connection so those ones will never work), please send an email to the HS Mail feedback page.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast