1.    #1  
    There's a discussion about this on HowardForums, but the users here are a lot more active on topics related to data usage, so I figured I'd get a quicker response here even though my personal interests are probably not for using this with the Treo 600...

According to Cingular's site, if you live in an area served by their Wireless Internet Express (i.e. - GPRS), you have to use that and it costs you by the megabyte ($$$). For users in non-GPRS areas, you can alternatively use their CSD network (dial-up over GSM). Some questions/comments...

1) I'm hearing that some users living in a GPRS area can still use the CSD service instead. This allows you to just use your minutes and not be charged by the KB. Is this true?

2) My understanding is that dial-up over GSM is really slow (like a 9600 baud modem) compared to GPRS' faster speeds (30-40kBps). Two sub-questions here: a) Is that true? and, b) If so, how bearable is that slower speed for web browsing, getting email, and sending pictures?

3) I've also heard in the past that if you're going to use dial-up over GSM, you need your own ISP. a) Is this true?, and b) If so, what's the cheapest/best dial-up ISP available?

4) For all you Cingular owners who don't know the answers to the questions above, because you're using the pay-by-MB plan, can you try out CSD and report back? My understanding is that the Wireless Internet Express plan allows for CSD as a backup (for when you leave a GPRS area).

According to a few coverage maps I've seen, coverage in CT for T-Mobile sucks, while Cingular's is quite good (BTW, they use the 850 band here). I'd rather have T-Mobile for the affordable unlimited data plan, but it ain't much good if I can't get a signal. Thanks,

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    a t-mo user, but before I made the jump to grps (when t-mo got the unlimited plan), I was using dial up.

you do need your a dial up isp. using it took away from my minutes.

the gprs is a little faster, but not blazingly. not that i noticed anyway.

i can (and do) use dial up when I get gprs issues.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    1. This is correct. You can use either. When you purchase "wireless internet express" which is Cingular's terminolgy for GPRS, it includes "wireless internet" which is their CSD dial up connection.

2. Yes, technically speaking CSD is a slower transfer speed but to be quit honest with you it is pretty hard to see any difference between that and GPRS.

3. You do not need your own ISP if using CSD because you are already using Cingular as your ISP.

Greg
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Originally posted by Scott R

3) I've also heard in the past that if you're going to use dial-up over GSM, you need your own ISP. a) Is this true?, and b) If so, what's the cheapest/best dial-up ISP available?
    I'm a tmobile GSM user and presently do not have a data plan since I'm not a heavy data user. I use a dial-up to send and receive the occasional email and light web surfing.

The have prepaid internet plans for as little as $3.95 good for 10 hrs of internet surfing good and you have all year to use those 10hrs., 20hrs are $6.95. A 20hr plan last me all year. Pretty cheap..... YMMV

For other plans check out:

http://www.budgetdialup.com/html/prod.htm

Another plus is that you can use the same plan as backup to you broadband service with your desktop machine if that is ever necessary.
    No good deed goes unpunished