1.    #1  
    Within the last day, I have spent a few hours playing with Gizmo, the new Game Gear Emulator from Kalemsoft:
    http://www.kalemsoft.com/products.html
    Here you can download a demo for free of gizmo, which the only playable game is columns, or you could buy it for 15 bucks. First thing I did was get the demo, and download columns. As of now you have to use command prompt to convert files but its pretty easy. Anyways, Columns ran bueatifully, perfect frame rate, colors, compression, sound, it was perfect port from gamegear. Of course this is an extremley low demanding game. Gizmo has full mapping (so 5 way support) and you can map other keys. Only problem is they won't let you map the turn of back light button, but its fine.

Anyways, strongly impressed by columns, I decided to buy it for $15. I downloaded about 20 roms, all quality. Man, they are GREAT. Firt of all, it runs alot better if you put your speed to non reccomended max, so everythig is nice and real time, but you loose framerate. Most games won't run at perfect frame rate, but with most games its not noticable or atleast a problem. Only games which are a little annoying to play are sonic (too fast), and maybe a few others. Suprisingly sonic and tails ran smoother than original sonic, I guess it was just better code, better compression. Anyways, it looks bueatiful filling the screen. You can save, quit, etc. Most games ran awesome, but not perfect framerate like I said if you are expecting that. 2 out of the 20 games I tried didn't work, there aren't any bugs I saw besides that, except for no sound at some times. Also many games have a flickering screen, not on and off but slight rapid changes in contrast, a bug that should be fixed soon, it is barely noticable when in games. Anyways, games like ninja gaiden, double dragon, even a simple airplane game, all ABSOLUTLEY WARPED PALM GAMES NOW.
    These are real games, for your treo 600. Trust me, its well worth the $15 bucks, surpasses any palm gaming experience I've had so far on the Treo.
    I found a great rom website with it all but I think it would be better to email me for it (its dirty and whatnot) but only in moderation please.

Gizmo: 5 stars
    Current best gaming device for treo.
    Just try the demo with columns, most games will have a little slower framerate but more impressive graphics.
    You touch me, I cut you.
    I purchased Gizmo and it does seem to work pretty good for the games that work. So far, I've played Columns and Caesar's Palace. But haven't been able to play PGA Golf II, Mortal Kombat, or Stargate successfully.

What games worked for you?
    I also bought the $15 version of Gizmo and have been impressed so far. However, I've been unsuccessful assigning keyboard commands to the D-pad (5-way button) on the Treo. When assigning the right or left button on the Treo to a particular button, it doesn't show up as assigned. But it does seem to assign it, regardless. However, when I play a game, the buttons are not reliable. In Frogger, the right button (assigned to the right move function) causes Gizmo to return to the "home" page. In Double Dragon, the left button (when assigned to the left move function) causes the game to reset. Has anyone else experienced this? I'd really like the D-pad to work, cuz it's the most intuitive way to play these games, in my opinion.

-B
    ---------------------------
    Brian Racherbaeumer
    RacherVision
    Posting from Treo600. Just downloaded NesEm. Do you know of a site to get those? Email drdoom@ghostmail.net. If the gizmo is better let me know of the site you mentioned for that, too. Thanks.
    Originally posted by SpicyMeatball91
    Gizmo has full mapping (so 5 way support) and you can map other keys. Only problem is they won't let you map the turn of back light button, but its fine.
    And

Originally posted by bracherb
    I also bought the $15 version of Gizmo and have been impressed so far. However, I've been unsuccessful assigning keyboard commands to the D-pad (5-way button) on the Treo...

-B
    Could some one please clarify this issue? If the 5-way nav pad cannot be properly assigned in the Gizmo emulator for games, then this would be a major negative IMO! Does this relate only to specific games or all games? I'ld appreciate any info before I buy the emu. TIA...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I have had no problems assigning the buttons, FWIW. So far, I've been able to play Columns, Caesar's Palace, Jeopardy and Galaga. They worked very well. Others I've tried (mentioned above) didn't fare so well. I was able to load them onto Gizmo, but pressing Start, A, or B wouldn't start the game. They just hung on their splash screens.

As for the mapping to the "Turn Off" button, I have that button mapped to Blazer Browser in the system. I am able to map it to "B" on gizmo just fine. Could this be a workaround? I wonder.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I downloaded the trial Nesem, and apparently the latest build was tweaked for the Treo600.

Unfortunately, the results have been disappointing with the games I tried. The buttons don't seem that responsive in terms of onscreen action reflecting your button presses. It seems a very hit and miss situation depending on the game, as to how well it works.

I'm wondering if Gizmo is a more successful emulator. I don't think Nesem could be considered a substitute for games actually written for Palm OS.
  8.    #8  
    Gizmo is a better emulator and can easily be considered a substitute with the right games. Also, I have been able to assign 5-way as a D-pad but you cannot assign the backlight button which is a pain!
    The games I play and like Marble Madness, Ecco, Columns, Ninja Gaiden, Mad Headdy, robocop vs. terminator, sonic and tails, and a bunch of other random games.
    You touch me, I cut you.