Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Handango advertises AOL 3.1 as for Palm OS 3.52 and higher.

A friend beamed a copy of AOL 3.1 from his Treo 300 to my Treo 600.

I was not previously an AOL user, so I signed up for an AOL account. I got it going on my T600 and was able to receive and send test emails. But I was talking to customer reps at AOL to help me fine tune and it started acting up -- it would go through the signin process and get up to what the cust rep referred to as Step 7, and on the screen it would hang in a loop when "checking password . . ." and would stop there.

She said that AOL 3.1 is not completely compatible with the Palm OS 5.2.1 on the T600. She said that sometimes it works and sometimes not.

I tested it again and it again hung up on the checking password screen.

But later as I was writing this post, I came back to AOL - after at least one soft reset I was able to get past the password entry and was able to sign on -- but when I signed off, I tried to sign back on and hung up at the same place as I had earlier -- at the checking password point!!!

Has anyone else had any experience with AOL 3.1 on their Treo 600 and if so is my experience consistent with what you have experienced? Or is there a way of getting AOL 3.1 to work flawlessly on the Treo 600? Or is there an entirely new version of AOL 3.1 that I need for the Treo 600? (Although not my complaint, I note that AOL 3.1 is not compatible with the Treo 600 no stylus approach to entry.)

Thank you.
    I use it all the time on my 600. It generally works fine (except right, it doesn't support the control pad.)

One in maybe 20 times it will hang up on the password. I always assumed it was a network issue. It connects much quicker and more consistently than it did on my Treo 300, that's for sure.

Hopefully they'll have a new version soon. Would be nice if they added some sort of push functionality for the e-mail, or at least a function to log on periodically automatically to check for e-mail.

ME
    I've been using AOL 3.1 on my T600 for about a month now and I haven't encountered any problems... until today. I'm getting the same exact problem you guys are seeing... where the app just hangs on the "Checking password..." screen. I poked at the reset button on the back of the phone a few times already and I'm still getting the password hang.

I'm not sure what's going on. Earlier today it was working just fine. I know I didn't install any new apps or changed any settings since.

I hope they come out with a new AOL version soon.
    I've been using AOL 3.1 on my T600 for about a month now and I haven't encountered any problems... until today. I'm getting the same exact problem you guys are seeing... where the app just hangs on the "Checking password..." screen. I poked at the reset button on the back of the phone a few times already and I'm still getting the password hang.

I'm not sure what's going on. Earlier today it was working just fine. I know I didn't install any new apps or changed any settings since.

I hope they come out with a new AOL version soon.
    Actually, the same thing is happening to me now. I got a "DNS truncated OX1245" message with it this morning. I can't believe it is an OS problem, because it worked fine before. any ideas, anyone? need to be able to access my aol mail!
    If you only want email, try this, http://sprintvision.aol.com/
    same here i have been using it since i had my 600 it was working great untill friday now it hangs i have to disconnect and re connect about two times for it to work. Thought it might have to do with me being connected to chatter which is one of the best chat programs out there

Fred
    One of the lessons that this type of experience teaches is that just because it is compatible with OS (whatever) and higher doesn't always mean it works with the latest and greatest.

I generally check the web site to see if it's (at least) OS5 compatible, if not explicity supported on the Treo.
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    Sorry, but I don't buy that it could be an OS problem. Makes no sense that it would work all this time and then stop for all of us on the same day.

I installed Chatter on Friday, too. Perhaps that's it?

ME
    Hi. Since Chatter has been mentioned a few times, may I ask what AOL 3.1 does (i.e. is it AOL Instant Messenger or something else. ) Does it log you into AIM Are you also logged into AIM via Chatter?

Marc
    I am using AOL 3.1 for palm, which has both a mail and IM client. when you log on, you are online as if you signed in from the desktop client.

Since Friday -- when I loaded chatter -- I have been having increasing difficulty logging on to AOL from the Treo. Finally I deleted Chatter. still not working. deleted and reinstalled aol. not that either. tried several soft resets too.

are there files or changes made on the treo that would remain after deleting chatter?

not even sure that's it, but this all started after installing chatter.

help!
    Hey guys, it's not a conflict with OS 5 and the treo 600.
    I've been using this app very successfully on my treo 270 for like 8-9 months now and as of Friday I'm experiencing the same issues as you guys.
    So it has to be an AOL thing.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Same problems, Treo 270 and AOL 3.0, same time frame.
    I think AOL pushed something back down in the process, and corrupted my 270's phone driver while they were at it.
    The "Network Search" (Flip) popup doesn't.
    GSM radio stays on, without connecting (blinking red light).
    I can't access the SIM card.
    It won't detect the SIM card, but the card does work in another phone, and a known-good card doesn't work in the 270.
    Multiple hard resets didn't help.
    I'm trying to run the battery out and force a complete memory wipe.
    Might go as far as disassembling it and unplugging the battery.
    (It's not like I've ever done that before, heh heh).

Rusty J
    Treo 270 (not working) on AT&T, unlocked.
    Tungsten T|3* + SonyEricsson T616**
    Abiding resentment toward AOL

*Absolute power corrupts absolutely -- and requires an external battery sled.
    **And you thought the Treo 600's camera was inadequate...
    Last edited by Rusty J; 11/16/2003 at 06:04 PM.
    Interesting. Noticed on Filez a file called AOL Treo Patch.

Any ideas on if that is something new?

ME
    does aol 3.1 allow a "guest" login?

and does it allow you to login while someone else is using another screen-name on the same account?

Thanks
    and then it went online. I don't think I did anything different other than kept repeatedly trying to sign on.
    This is surely a good a time to mention another aol anywhere issue. Very often when I'm signing on to get my email, I get this message:
    "Failed to get entire list. (Snac not handled)". Can anyone tell me what this means? What I do next after getting this message is to press okay, then go back to the main menu, and if the flag is up indicating there's mail, I select it and my mail loads. It's a mystery,but it works. Same with aol finally deciding to work. I don't know why, but I'm glad it does.
    I have been able to get on periodically since Friday when this problem started, but only with many tries. Something is definitely wrong.
    Originally posted by kayden75
    does aol 3.1 allow a "guest" login?

and does it allow you to login while someone else is using another screen-name on the same account?

Thanks
    It does not have a guest log in like the desk top version does.
    You can log on while another member is on line. I suppose it uses the internet to log on as opposed to the actually software. We have five users on our account and if any one of them is logged in via the desktop software no one else can since we only have the one account but I can sign on w/AOL for palm with no issues in that respect.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Originally posted by millerhifi

It does not have a guest log in like the desk top version does.
    You can log on while another member is on line. I suppose it uses the internet to log on as opposed to the actually software. We have five users on our account and if any one of them is logged in via the desktop software no one else can since we only have the one account but I can sign on w/AOL for palm with no issues in that respect.

Actually there is a "Guest" login. On the main AOL screen (where it displays all the icons), if you select "Mailbox" or "Buddy List," you'll be able to sign in as a "Guest." NOTE: You must be signed off first before you select "Mailbox" or "Buddy List."
    Yep, your right!
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast