Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Received mine today. It has a reset pin, but it's a 1/4 inch too short to be effective (in the Treo600 at least).

It has exactly the same shape as the stock stylus - same color black tips, brushed aluminum body, same hook at the top so it ends up flush with the Treo600 body. The hook doubles as the pen cap and snaps in place firmly. Only time will tell if it gets loose and leaves the rest of the pen inside. If that did happen, I think you could still pry the pen out, so it wouldn't be a disaster.

The pen itself writes smooth and apparently takes a refill (judging from the StylusCentral page anyway). Mine is in so tight I haven't been able to unscrew it.

The benefit of having a pen outweighs the lack of a reset pin, but you can't consider it "perfect".

Tom
    Originally posted by freudov23
    The new reset nub is only about 3 mm. I did attempt to swap it out with the original tip, but the pen cartridge extends most of the stylus shaft preventing complete insertion. in fact, my test caused the full length pin to pierce the inkwell, thereby spreading ink everywhere. Oh well, maybe I'll never need to reset this bad boy again
    SprintTreoUser posted a pic comparing the reset pins in this thread. This is a HUGE deficiency IMO! I guess I won't be ordering this afterall...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Hang on. Just got a reply email from Jim Myers at StylusCentral about the reset pin. Quote:

"We just found this out and are having a corrected tip made. We will be sending them out to replace the one you have. I will be in touch with a timetable for this. I am sorry for the inconvenience."

Given the typical kind of customer service you get these days, I have to be impressed with their responsiveness (30 minutes, esp. on a Saturday) and willingness to correct a problem. Definitely the kind of place I'd do business with again.

If you want a stylus/pen combo, just wait a little while and I think StylusCentral will come through for us.

Tom
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

SprintTreoUser posted a pic comparing the reset pins in this thread. This is a HUGE deficiency IMO! I guess I won't be ordering this afterall...
    StylusCentral will be developing another one with a longer reset pin and will send those off to people that has already ordered them.

http://www.styluscentral.com/3in1stpenfor3.html
    Got my pen stylus today. Works great. Had previously bought one for the T300.

It just adds one more thing to my "swiss army knife" treo 600!

Cluemeister
    Originally posted by tomvb2000
    The pen itself writes smooth and apparently takes a refill (judging from the StylusCentral page anyway). Mine is in so tight I haven't been able to unscrew it.

Tom
    If the stylus is anything like the Microsoft 3-in-1, you don't unscrew the pen. You unscrew the reset pin and push the pen out through the opening.
    It must be exactly like the Microsoft 3-in-1 - that's exactly what you do. Thanks for the tip.
    Just received my 3 in 1 today.

The pen tip is at the opposite end from the stylus tip. Basically you pull off the pen cap which is the piece you pull on when removing the stylus from the silo. This may be a problem in the future if the pen cap becomes loose. I can imagine a day when all that comes out is the pen cap...

The pen fits a little tighter than the original stylus which could help lead to the problem I just described. The pen writes well. No problems there. And then everyone already knows about the reset tip not being long enough. I tested it several times and no reset. It's good to hear StylusCentral already knows about the problem *and* they are working on resolving it.

Overall the pen is very solid and works well. Once they resolve the reset pin issue, I can highly recommend it.
    Last edited by SoCalVisor; 02/01/2004 at 12:36 AM.
    Does anyone have any new info on these pen styli's? I was looking at buying the 3in1 from The Treocentral store but I see what you mean about the pen cap being what you use to pull it out of the treo. Has anyone has any problems like this?

http://store.treocentral.com/content.../16-44--60.htm

Is there a better one out there?
    Check out my personal site at http://www.lukemccoy.com
  10. hsk
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Just curious, why do you need a pen when you have a treo? One of the best things about a treo is that you don't have to write things on (losable) scraps of paper.
    Why compromise by using a Stylus that is made for some other phone?? Go to this site, you will get one that fits the Treo600.

http://www.sfplanet.com/index.cfm/fa...23559/id/85341

Regards,
    AJ
    Sometimes you still need a pen, signing CC receipts and other stuff like that.

And not sure what you mean by compromising by using a stylus for another phone...the link I sent is from this site and is for the Treo 600.
    Check out my personal site at http://www.lukemccoy.com
    Quote Originally Posted by lukemccoy.com
    Does anyone have any new info on these pen styli's? I was looking at buying the 3in1 from The Treocentral store but I see what you mean about the pen cap being what you use to pull it out of the treo. Has anyone has any problems like this?

http://store.treocentral.com/content.../16-44--60.htm

Is there a better one out there?
    lukemccoy - It doesn't appear there is a better one available for the Treo600. I looked thru T/C, MTDN, StylusCentral and whatever else I could find at Google, but it appears that all of the Treo600 stylus/pen combos have the removable (pop off) cap. Most/all of the Treo650 ones have a screw-off cap, which in my opinion, is a vast improvement. Unfortunately, I don't think you can use the 650 in a 600 since the 650 is a smaller diameter. Sorry.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123