1.    #1  
    hi guys-

i tried both nesem and gizmo demos...

i'll save you the suspense, dont bother with nesem...it playsback retardily on the treo 600. the screen is so small you cannot read it, sound is garbled, and the game moves ridiculously slow.

gizmo on the other hand fills the whole screen and the game i tested ran much smoother then nesem, but it was a very small game file so a normal size game might not work that well.

an annoying problem i have about the demos is they limit the size of the game you can play, but the size is ridiculously small. i have a ton of roms for both nintendo and gamegear and there was only 1 game that i had for gamegear that was under the allowed size and 2 for nes. this is stupid because the games people are normally going to be playing are clearly much larger sizes. why cant a demo be of a game you might actually play?

i would never buy it if i can't test out an actual game i would be playing on it. they definitely need a bigger size limit for the demos.

so anyway my review playing demo versions of nesem and gizmo.

nesem - dont bother with treo 600 (i do wish they'd make it better cause i like nintendo way more then gamegear/sega and theres alot more games)

gizmo - has potential, check it out and if anyone knows how real games play on it, let me know
    I agree with your comments on the NESEM emulator - the graphics, when reduced to 160x160 resolution, looked pretty bad. Maybe they could have used a better interpolation method to get the screen looking decent at 160x160.

I was also unable to find a Game Gear game that was small enough to play on the demo version, but you mentioned finding one that was small enough. What was it? I might buy the emulator if I could find a game to test it with.

-B
    ---------------------------
    Brian Racherbaeumer
    RacherVision
    I agree with nesem. The emulator is worthless on the Treo 600. I tried 3 games and they looked awful and certainly not worth the effort of playing. I tried Mario, Elevator Action and another game I don't remember. This emulator must not be designed to run on a 160/160 screen.

Also tried a game boy emulator with the same awful results. More reasons why I wish the Treo was high res! Darn it!

Someone post how the gamegear emulator works with real games for the rest of us that are afraid to pay first.
    I bought Gizmo today and have found that it works pretty well.
    I tried approximately 20 different games, and most of them played with little or no slow-down. A couple of them are still having some graphics problems, but I was able to play many of the games that I enjoy the most. There is definitely some room for improvement, but it's a VERY good beginning and an excellent way to greatly increase the number of games available for our shiny little friend...
  5. purpleC
    Originally posted by ferrarinu
    I agree with nesem. The emulator is worthless on the Treo 600. I tried 3 games and they looked awful and certainly not worth the effort of playing. I tried Mario, Elevator Action and another game I don't remember. This emulator must not be designed to run on a 160/160 screen.

Also tried a game boy emulator with the same awful results. More reasons why I wish the Treo was high res! Darn it!

Someone post how the gamegear emulator works with real games for the rest of us that are afraid to pay first.
    It's not the emulator fault. It's the fubar OS, that can't handle anything slightly more advance than bejeweled.

eg. SPV with slower hardware even can run NES without problem, and it's free download too.

http://www.davemoller-nz.demon.co.uk/pocketsnes.html

There is even a SNES emulator for the SPV.
    I purchased Gizmo. I am now enjoying Joe Montana Football on my treo. Galaga, Pac-man, and Ninja Gaiden work great also.

and that Purple dork seems to be a loser...
    Could some one please explain how to get the gizmo rominstaller to work? It just opens up real fast then closes when I click on it? Am I doing something wrong here? TIA...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Nevermind! I found this thread and I figured it out. Btw wahooka, you're right about the damned Demo only running very small roms! Almost nothing is small enough to test this thing out!

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Sounds like I need to dig through my old rom stash and see if I still have all my game gear stuff

How do the graphics look in games? How are the controls?
    add Marble Madness to the list of games Im playing.

The graphics of Gizmo are perfect as it is an emulation. No slow down at all. Im impressed and I think it is well worth the $15

for you game gear dudes, was there a way to make pacman full screen or is the only way to play it is with the scrolling screen?
    bought gizmo on a whim as the demo is useless. downloaded a pile of roms and its fab

sonic & tails plays great as does super golf and packman. 3d tennis dies a bit but can do without it nba jam doesnt even load but could be my copy, outrun's ****e but then it was just reminded myself how good krustys funhouse was (the last good simpsons license?)
    For the registered users...

Would it be safe to assume that most of the larger games run at full speed? How does battery life fare, after, say, a 30-minute gaming session? And has anyone dared to try Gizmo w/ MP3s running in the background?
  13. jsr
    Has anyone tried Gizmo Ultra yet?

Their web site says its not fully compatible due to screen resolution....i wonder if it is playable at all?
    Originally posted by jsr
    Has anyone tried Gizmo Ultra yet?

Their web site says its not fully compatible due to screen resolution....i wonder if it is playable at all?
    After trying out the "Treo 600" version of NesEm, I'm not sure you'd want to play SMS games in a window on a low-res screen. I emailed them, requesting that the display area for the NES emulator be bumped up to fit the entire Treo 600 screen. No reply yet...
    I can't even try this game, do they make roms smaller than 32kb ?
  16.    #16  
    if you guys are looking for a game to test on gizmo look for columns. i have every single game gear game ever made and i think there is 3 that are under the limit.

columns is the only halfway decent one.

if you want it and cant find it, message me and i'll see what i can do
    Hey guys just to update, KalemSoft just released their updated Gizmo RomInstaller. It makes the whole procedure even easier!

http://kalemsoft.com/download.html