1.    #1  
    I am getting very frustrated with web browsing on my Sprint Treo 600 (using Blazer). I frequently experience connection problems when I have been idle on the network for 60 seconds or more.

If I keep clicking on web links so that the connection does not go idle for more than several seconds, I don't have any problems. Also, I don't have any problems streaming audio with pTunes. However, if I go to a site where I want to do some reading and it takes me a couple of minutes before I click on another link, then I frequently get a "Data Timeout" error--very frequently! Blazer will just keep spinning with the "Sending..." message and finally give me the "Data Timeout" error. It doesn't seem to matter what time of day it is or where I am. It happens both at work and at the office. It also happens in the middle of the night, when I assume there is very little congestion.

This used to happen to me occasionally with my Treo 300, but not too often. Not often enough that it bothered me. But it happens a lot with the new Treo and it is starting to irritate the crap out of me. Especially since the only solution I have found is to get out of Blazer, go to Prefs, go to Network, and click Disconnect. That's such a pain compared to the relatively quick disconnect that was possible through Blazer on the 300.

I've searched the threads for this problem, but I haven't seen any discussion of it with the 600, so maybe I'm the only one and will simply need to swap out my Treo. So far, Blazer is the only network app that I've used much with the 600, besides pTunes, so maybe it's a Blazer issue rather than a hardware issue? I'm not sure which to root for because I like using Blazer, as long as it works!

Any suggested solutions or workarounds would be appreciated!

Thanks, MikeP
    Pen+Paper > Treo300 > Treo600 > Treo 700p
    I would suggest trying your web browsing on a hard-reset machine to make sure that software isn't interfering. And is your signal strength ok?

Marc
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the suggestion. I usually, if not always, have a good signal, according to the green flashing light and at least a couple of bars on the signal indicator on the lower right. I don't think it is a signal strength issue because I see the problem in the same places where it used to work fine with the 300. And again, I see at least a bar and usually two on the indicator.

I have not tried a hard-reset. Is a hard-reset done by pushing the pinhole on the back of the phone, or is that a soft-reset? I've never figured out the difference (or had a need to, until now fortunately).

Thanks,
    MikeP
    Originally posted by MikeP
    Thanks for the suggestion. I usually, if not always, have a good signal, according to the green flashing light and at least a couple of bars on the signal indicator on the lower right. I don't think it is a signal strength issue because I see the problem in the same places where it used to work fine with the 300. And again, I see at least a bar and usually two on the indicator.

I have not tried a hard-reset. Is a hard-reset done by pushing the pinhole on the back of the phone, or is that a soft-reset? I've never figured out the difference (or had a need to, until now fortunately).

Thanks,
    MikeP
    Pushing the reset behind with a pin is a soft reset. You haven't done this before??!!! Then try it. It might solve your problem. If it doesn't, then you need hard reset, which means holding down the power switch whilst pushing the reset pin and then releasing the power switch after the palm logo comes on. Note that ALL data will be lost!
  5.    #5  
    I tried to reply yesterday, but guess what...after taking several minutes to type in my reply, I got the data timeout problem and couldn't post it. And since there is no disconnect option in Blazer, I lost my post when I went to Prefs > Network. But when I went to Network, I decided to run the following ping test from View Log:

PingEvt 3 24.93.35.33

Executing "ping 24.93.35.33" 3 times...

Pinging 24.93.35.33 [24.93.35.33] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Error timeout (0x1212): time=10ms
    Error timeout (0x1212):

Request timed out.
    Error timeout (0x1212):

Request timed out.
    Error timeout (0x1212):

The IP address is a DNS server for Road Runner and I have never seen it fail to reply. So I think I have more than a Blazer issue here.

In response to the question, I've done soft resets several times on the 300 but never on the 600. I've never done a hard reset and didn't know how to do it. I'll try it tomorrow and test for a couple of days.

-Mike
    Pen+Paper > Treo300 > Treo600 > Treo 700p
  6.    #6  
    well unfortunately I haven't seen any improvement after a soft reset and a hard reset. I guess it's time to call Sprint. I just hope that the hardware replacement plan I signed up for with the 300 still applies with 600...
  7.    #7  
    any suggestions for dealing with Sprint tech support? Just thought I'd ask before I call tomorrow.

thanks, Mike
  8.    #8  
    well as I expected, contacting Sprint tech support was useless. the "tier 2 support" said that Spring has not published their official timeout duration, but 3rd party reports indicate it is 2 1/2 minutes. I guess that's possible and maybe is the time when I lose my connection, but I can't believe I didn't run into this more with the Treo 300. I basically browsed the same websites in the same pattern. I also find it hard to believe other Treo users wouldn't be complaining about this. It doesn't seem unreasonable to want to stay on one page for more than 2 1/2 minutes.

By the way, I asked the tech support dude when SMS would be rolled out. He said current documentation indicates the end of December.

Now calling Handspring support...

-Mike