1.    #1  
    From Mobile Burn...
    "Sharp has recently unveiled a new ultra-high resolution mobile phone screen in Japan. This new screen is capable of showing 300 DPI (dot's per inch), which rivals the resolution of printed paper. This might not sound all that interesting until you consider that normal computer monitors are generally between 60-100 DPI. We are unsure of when this kind of screen will start coming out in GSM handsets, but it probably won't be till at least the second half of next year. "

Picture of new hi-res phone LCD
    Will the phones/pdas come with a built-in magnifying glass?

Sheesh.
    Originally posted by yelofelo
    From Mobile Burn...
    "Sharp has recently unveiled a new ultra-high resolution mobile phone screen in Japan. This new screen is capable of showing 300 DPI (dot's per inch), which rivals the resolution of printed paper. This might not sound all that interesting until you consider that normal computer monitors are generally between 60-100 DPI. We are unsure of when this kind of screen will start coming out in GSM handsets, but it probably won't be till at least the second half of next year. "

Picture of new hi-res phone LCD
    Oh Joy! Just in time, since I'm getting an Electron Microscope for Christmas.
    thats crazy!
    The point of a high res screen like that is not to have text so small you need a magnifying glass. It's for the detail of the image.
    And this is Treo 600 Hardware related how?
    Wishful thinking that the 600 could get a screen upgrade maybe?

I would gladly give my 600 to my girlfriend and buy a treo ### at the end of next year with a high res screen for myself... If my 600 does not mysteriously turn into my girlfriends Samsung i330 in the middle of the night that is.
  8. Mordeloth
    That screen is gorgeous.
    I hope it's a fuel cell battery... that thing is going to suck juice out of a battery so quickly...
    haha blingbling I agree, each screen increment is 4x more detail, so it'd probably drain 4x more power as well. But wow, that thing is incredible.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    There comes a time when progress takes you to where you need to get and beyond that it is just luxury.

For example, the pencil or the BIC Pen became "perfect" decades ago. Really, any progress now is luxury (soft pen, eraseable pen, smooth pencil, etc.)

Now we all agree that 160 x 160 is good enough for business, but 320 x 320 would make the Treo able to show movies, pictures and fonts to the point where one can look at a picture of one's family and say "what a beautiful family" as opposed to "Scotty better have these transporters more focused."

The Treo is SO close to Practical Perfection it is amazing. Many features can be accomodated with the SD slot. Wifi, BT, VGA for presentations, etc.

It needs 320 x 320 and it is there. The question is will Donna do it before the Sony p900 gets it together.

The real race is:

Treo 600 to Treo 700
    Sony UX50 + Sony P900 to Sony P1000

The stakes are huge...and let us not forget Micro$oft
    Originally posted by bling bling
    I hope it's a fuel cell battery... that thing is going to suck juice out of a battery so quickly...
    A fuel cell battery? So you can worry about carrying a bottle of ethanol with you all the time? Forget it, I prefer the ubiquitous power plug and chemical battery anytime. Why are people so into fuel cells anyway, they're the biggest gimmick of all time (gimmick being that it has suckered so many people into "believers").
    Originally posted by Voidus
    haha blingbling I agree, each screen increment is 4x more detail, so it'd probably drain 4x more power as well. But wow, that thing is incredible.
    A screen with 4x the resolution will not drain a battery 4x as fast. If that was the case than the battery on a laptop with an XGA (1024x768) screen should last 4 times as long as one with a WUXGA (1920x1200) screen?

This is certainly not the case. The largest drain from a screen is the backlight, and since the backlight would be pretty much the same size, Sure, it would drain a little more power, but not so much that keep a product from having a higher res screen because of the battery drain. Do you have IR turned on in the Treo? That would drain more batery than the higher res screen.

If a high res screen was that much of a power drain why would the other cell phone manufacturers use them? Isn't one of the main selling points on cell phones battery life?The reason why the Treo does not have a high res screen is simply that Handspring did not have the money or resources to put one in the Treo 600.

This is exactly why I hope with the new resources from Palm 1 that the next Treo should have a high res screen!