Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know that the cingular works, but right now, I want to wait for the official TMO release. Anyone hear anything lately? All the threads discussing it have fallen off the first few pages.
    Originally posted by bigmdime
    I know that the cingular works, but right now, I want to wait for the official TMO release. Anyone hear anything lately? All the threads discussing it have fallen off the first few pages.
    Yeah, that should pretty much tell you what the hell's going on with T-Mo (i.e. Nothing).

Cheers.
    We're all just waiting for the 24th, which is when T-Mo last said the 600 would be available. We shall see.
    When I was ordering my Cingular T-600 from Handspring, the CRS told me the T-Mobile version would probably be available before November 17.

Doesn't look like that is going to happen.
    Got tired of waiting on T-mobile, after all the positive comments about the Treo 600 GSM (For Cingular) working great with Tmobile service I broke down and ordered one last week.

Last week when I contacted the Tmobile CSR that I had been working with he stated that T-mobile engineers still had not approved the T600, so I have no confidence that they will make the 24th date although I certainly hope for the sake of all the users that are waiting that they start taking orders then.

Good Luck!
    No good deed goes unpunished
    I cancelled my order for the Cingular version today. $700 is just too much for me. If the T-Mobile version comes in at a more reasonable price point, I'll think about it again. But the shipping delay let me sit on it and think about it long enough that I changed my mind and decided it wasn't worth it to me. An impulse buy doesn't work very well when it takes so long to fulfill...
    "An impulse buy doesn't work very well when it takes so long to fulfill".. good point sharding.

I received an email from TMo today and they gave me the same old song and dance. I responded to that email saying Cingular will have theirs released 11/17 and that I really needed an answer (even if the date was later) or I was going to jump ship (not really true). I was even told by a TMo CSR yesterday a 600 was bouncing around their call room and how excited they were to begin selling the phone. It's all so strange. Let's hope they surprise us Monday.
    I'll post the TMo response as soon as I get it.
    Originally posted by sharding
    I cancelled my order for the Cingular version today. $700 is just too much for me. If the T-Mobile version comes in at a more reasonable price point, I'll think about it again. But the shipping delay let me sit on it and think about it long enough that I changed my mind and decided it wasn't worth it to me. An impulse buy doesn't work very well when it takes so long to fulfill...
    Why not go on Ebay and buy a Treo 300/270/180 serial number for $10, then buy the Cingular version for the $399 upgrade price?

I didn't have to do this because I have purchased several Treos, but I would do this rather than pay full retail.

Just a thought........................
    Two thoughts on this thread:

1) Why is everyone waiting for the T-Mobile version? Is everyone (like me) waiting for either number portability or TMo support due to a loyalty to a phone number, or are there problems with Cingular service?

2) I would be careful about buying a handset on EBay. How do you know that the serial number hasn't already been used for a Treo 600 upgrade?

-The 'Fo
    My 270 radio died while in Houston this week so I had to speak with several tmo reps today, most had no clue about the 600 but I got from one of the tier 2 reps that they are releasing the 600 on the 22nd. FWIW.
    Originally posted by Tourdewolf
    My 270 radio died while in Houston this week so I had to speak with several tmo reps today, most had no clue about the 600 but I got from one of the tier 2 reps that they are releasing the 600 on the 22nd. FWIW.
    Tourdewolf,
    I live in Houston as well, how do you find the reception on your treo. Any areas where you've had problems?
    Glad to hear some news on the TMo release, they just give me the run around- even when I threatened to cancel. Strange.
    Originally posted by Infomofo

1) Why is everyone waiting for the T-Mobile version? Is everyone (like me) waiting for either number portability or TMo support due to a loyalty to a phone number, or are there problems with Cingular service?
    I've had T-Mobile for a long time and I like their plans and service. Their coverage is where I need it, when I need it. I've never had a major problem with them. In other words, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I'm not willing to leave a carrier that works really well for me to go to an unproven (to me) carrier in order to get a phone, no matter how cool that phone is.
    Originally posted by Tourdewolf
    This was the date I was told when I contacted them as well. I was expecting the 24th, so that was a bit of a surprise. Not that 2 days really matters much though.

For whoever asked why some of us were waiting for T-Mo, my reasoning is that the majority of the Cingular ones won't be available until the 17th anyway, so why not wait one week more to get the T-Mo version at that point (I'm already a T-Mo customer). Also, I'd rather not run into any snags with support should something be wrong with it. If I was using my T-Mo service on a Cingular 600, things might be a little complicated and I don't want to deal with the runaround.
    Originally posted by winebrat

Tourdewolf,
    I live in Houston as well, how do you find the reception on your treo. Any areas where you've had problems?
    Glad to hear some news on the TMo release, they just give me the run around- even when I threatened to cancel. Strange.
    winebrat, I live in the Clear Lake area, travel down 45 to Galveston and back daily, and have had nothing but excellent coverage on my 270 with TMo. All of my travels in the Houston area have met with excellent coverage. Also, up until about 9 months ago, I traveled extensively around the US, and found that the only place I didn't have coverage was in the Williamsburg, VA, area. That was about 1 1/2 years ago. Once I got back into coverage area, I called TMo to complain. They apologized, saying they were working on more towers, and gave me a bunch of free minutes. By the way, I was there for a conference, and almost nobody had coverage, regardless of carrier. (Not sure which carrier had coverage there, but one of them did...)
    Thanks,
    I live in Kingwood and my wife uses TMo on a samsung phone and the reception is fine. Good to know it works well in CL and Galveston. Like you, as much as I hate to wait, I will. I've already placed an order for an unlocked GSM through shopblt.com. The price is a little steep and the ship date is listed at 11/21 (already been pushed back once). If I get more difinitive info from TMo, and the date of release is shortly after my blt order, I'll cancel and wait for the TMo "version".
    TommyGreen, I'm sitting about a mile from NASA in Clear Lake so we are pretty close. I ordered the Cingular model at 9am when they became available so I should have one soon if they do first come, first serve. If I get it I'll meet you for lunch or something.

You would not happen to work at UTMB?

David

Originally posted by tommygreen

winebrat, I live in the Clear Lake area, travel down 45 to Galveston and back daily, and have had nothing but excellent coverage on my 270 with TMo. All of my travels in the Houston area have met with excellent coverage. Also, up until about 9 months ago, I traveled extensively around the US, and found that the only place I didn't have coverage was in the Williamsburg, VA, area. That was about 1 1/2 years ago. Once I got back into coverage area, I called TMo to complain. They apologized, saying they were working on more towers, and gave me a bunch of free minutes. By the way, I was there for a conference, and almost nobody had coverage, regardless of carrier. (Not sure which carrier had coverage there, but one of them did...)
    Originally posted by winebrat
    Thanks,
    I live in Kingwood and my wife uses TMo on a samsung phone and the reception is fine. Good to know it works well in CL and Galveston. Like you, as much as I hate to wait, I will. I've already placed an order for an unlocked GSM through shopblt.com. The price is a little steep and the ship date is listed at 11/21 (already been pushed back once). If I get more difinitive info from TMo, and the date of release is shortly after my blt order, I'll cancel and wait for the TMo "version".
    Yep, I want the 600 bad, but I'm gonna wait for my HS loyalty discount on a TMo phone, if it ever comes. Like others, I'm leery of getting the Cingular version, not for fear that it won't work on TMo, but because I don't want to end up in support hell if anything goes wrong with it. I'm on my third 180 (my wife's, actually), and my third 270. I'm not ready to gamble on support. Like you, the unlocked GSM is calling my name, but so pricey!
    Originally posted by sharding

I've had T-Mobile for a long time and I like their plans and service. Their coverage is where I need it, when I need it. I've never had a major problem with them. In other words, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I'm not willing to leave a carrier that works really well for me to go to an unproven (to me) carrier in order to get a phone, no matter how cool that phone is.
    In my previous message I was not advocating anyone leaving their carrier of choice, I plan on using the GSM Cingular Treo 600 with my T-mobile account. I didn't see any point on waiting for T-mobile any longer when so many users have reported no problems using the Cingular GSM T600 with Tmobile service.
    Originally posted by djs_tx
    TommyGreen, I'm sitting about a mile from NASA in Clear Lake so we are pretty close. I ordered the Cingular model at 9am when they became available so I should have one soon if they do first come, first serve. If I get it I'll meet you for lunch or something.

You would not happen to work at UTMB?

David

David, I live in Webster, so I'm very close to NASA. I actually work in TX City, but posted earlier about the drive to Galveston, as I assumed more people on this forum would be familiar with Galveston Island than TX City...

I'd love to meet for lunch when you get yours! I finally let myself stop off at Best Buy and take a look at the Sprint version. I almost switched to Sprint! (Not really! ) It was so much more solid in my hand than my 270, and I still think my 270 is a really impressive device. Can't wait to get my hands on my 600, but if you get yours next week, please PM me. I'd love to check it out.
    Infomofo said:
    Why is everyone waiting for the T-Mobile version?
    I am waiting for Tmobile because I already have an account there. I have never had a Treo (coming from an old Visorphone) and will add a second account with Tmobile for the new activation discount to get the Treo 600.

I will trade sim cards with my husband and the Treo 600 will be MINE!! Hubby will use the Nokia or Samsung I already have, I am the geek in the family that cannot wait to get my hands on the new phone!

Just my luck that they are going to be one of the last carriers to get the Treo 600.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast