Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have a choice between the two, both GSM, $600 unlocked, or $400 with 1-yr t-mobile contract. I'm kinda torn between the two.

This is how I see the pros and cons:

T600:
    1. Palm OS, so all my Palm stuff can be transferred over.
    2. Thumbboard is neat, though I haven't used one and don't know for sure how useful it is to me.

P900:
    1. Bigger screen.
    2. Built-in bluetooth. Yes, it IS very convenient and cool. Yes, I know I can get an SD adapter for T600 but it's extra $ and takes up the slot.
    3. Better multimedia -- video recording, better MP3.
    4. Generally more refined -- they basically used the P800 as a beta version and let users test it.

I wonder what you guys think (while mindful of the fact that this crowd is more partial to T600 by definition ).

BTW, the store is in Manhattan, on Broadway and 63rd St. I think they get it from Europe/Asia or some other channel. If you're interested, call Tony at 212-582-8652
    it's a tough one. I ended up going with the Treo600, here's why:

1.) Keyboard, now that Im used to the keyboard and 5 way, I hate pulling out the stylus, and I always stunk at graffiti.

2.) Price, The US price for a p900 was average about $200 more than the Treo. The p900 will come down, but I have my Treo now.

(Now if you can get a p900 in NYC for $600, I may have take a ride into the city this weekend, and reconsider.)

3.) Palm apps, Symbian is getting there, but its not there yet.

OK the screen on the p900 is nice, no doubt, and we all wish the Treo had a HiRes screen and a better camera. And I know I will buy the next Treo with the Same Design and a 320x320/65k screen. But the first 3 points (for me) trump that, especailly #1.

SD over MS Duo. size and price.

How is the MP3 better on the p900?

BT - I have only ever used bluetooth for connecting phone->PDA, Dont need that with a Treo or a P900. I guess Wireless synching is a nice feature (I do sort of miss it from my Clie) and phone as a modem is nice with BT. but it becomes less important to me on a smartphone...

Just my thoughts...

ideally I'd get both and see whih one I used more. I think the p900 is cooler, but the Treo if more functional.. and I think that is only because of the keyboard (did I mention I hate stylus writing?)
    If the p900 had a snap on keyboard like the dialpad... hmmmm...

Good luck!
  3.    #3  
    Yes, I forgot the SD, which is definitely better than Sony's stick.

P900 takes video, which is cool. I read in several reviews that multimedia support on p900 is very good.

I was also surprised they asked the same price for the two. Which is another nudge to the P900 -- makes me feel I'm getting a better deal somehow.

I don't care too much about the diff between app base for Palm vs. Symbian. More is nice, but it's not critical enough for me to be the deal breaker.

Bluetooth? Of course it's not NECESSARY -- nothing is except bread and sex. But it's just cool to lay on the coach/bed and sync, or browse your PC, or surf the net via your PC broadband. Not to mention the fun of bluejacking...

Decision, decisions...
    Last edited by misnomer; 11/14/2003 at 10:28 AM.
    I would say Treo over P900
    SD is better and cheaper (512Mb for around 150pounds/cheaper in the states I am sure)
    Kinoma and MMPlayer on Treo is good
    Blazer and Web Pro are excellent for surfing the web
    Far more applications for palm
    such as Adobe Acrobat and Docs To Go 6

the downside is the lack of bluetooth and eventhough it is available soon on SD card it is not going to be usable on Palm version(unless that has changed?)

But then you are asking on a Treo forum
    I had the choice and went for the treo
    Does anyone have, or has anyone seem pictures of the Treo600 next to a P900? If so please provide link or post.

thanks.
    Depends on what you want if for.

I've just got rid of my P800 which has failed to meet expectations in almost every way. It has a few 'cool' features which are rarely used but loads and loads of unforgivable omissions - the Psion 5 (or even 3a) was a far more advanced device.

Obviously the P900 is an improvement, but it seems they have done nothing at all to address any of the real issues, just added further multimedia frills of little use. What a waste.

P800:
    - Very buggy. Crashed often.
    - total lack of professional software built in - no spreadsheet/database etc
    - diary very privative - almost unusable
    - no birthday support
    - OS very primitive, no usable multitasking support.
    - no profiles
    - email client privative.
    - sync software simple and buggy
    - no sms receipts
    - lack of 3rd party software.

I'm sorry but the OS is flawed. Oh for the Psion days.

I've just purchased a T600
    Oh my Psion 3, 3a and 5...how I miss thee. I'm have been searching for a viable replacement for my Psions (3a most all) for YEARS with no success. My 600 will be a 100% success if it simply meets the abilities of those machines.

Our new dog just ate my Psion travel modem last weekend and the 5 still struggles on as my wife's alarm clock...backlight has gone.

My favorite trick was booting big SGI machines via the serial cable.

-Rob
    Originally posted by misnomer
    I have a choice between the two, both GSM, $600 unlocked, or $400 with 1-yr t-mobile contract. I'm kinda torn between the two.

This is how I see the pros and cons:

T600:
    1. Palm OS, so all my Palm stuff can be transferred over.
    2. Thumbboard is neat, though I haven't used one and don't know for sure how useful it is to me.

P900:
    1. Bigger screen.
    2. Built-in bluetooth. Yes, it IS very convenient and cool. Yes, I know I can get an SD adapter for T600 but it's extra $ and takes up the slot.
    3. Better multimedia -- video recording, better MP3.
    4. Generally more refined -- they basically used the P800 as a beta version and let users test it.

I wonder what you guys think (while mindful of the fact that this crowd is more partial to T600 by definition ).

BTW, the store is in Manhattan, on Broadway and 63rd St. I think they get it from Europe/Asia or some other channel. If you're interested, call Tony at 212-582-8652
    I have both a P900 and a T600. I will decide which to keep this weekend. The P900 has the edge....

First off, there is simply no comparison in terms of the manufacturing finish. P900 BLOWS THE DOORS OFF THE TREO in terms of the look (in person) and the "handfeel".

The single largest point of distinction that most people in these boards will tell you is the absence of a thumboard on the P900.

DON'T LET THAT DISSUADE YOU.

While I don't doubt that extended emails are going to be easier with a full blown qwerty thumb board, note the following:

1. For most people, most data entry will be short one handed SMS or email responses. When the data entry comparison is reduced to one handed entry, the T9 capabilities of the P900 reduce or even eliminate the edge, especially since the P900 keys are better spaced and wider.

2. The shrunken keyboard is a serious drawback as compared to Bberries and the prior Treos. The domed keys make up for SOME but NOT ALL of the reduced, cramped layout.

Beyond that, there is much that you pick up feature wise in basic utility of the phone. The voice control on the p900 is simply unmatched. Treo has NOTHING on the P900 in terms contact retrieval for making calls. A few keystrokes on either device gets you what you need. But the difference goes to voice commands which the Treo lacks.

To me, only road warriors who tap out LONG emails lots of time will prefer the Treo over the P900. But truth is, if they are that dedicated to emails, neither device is good. The Bberry blows the doors off of them BOTH.

The rest - camera, video - SCREEN SIZE AND RESOLUTION?

NO MATCH.

There is no way that these two phones should cost the same. NO WAY.
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by page3
    I've just got rid of my P800 which has failed to meet expectations in almost every way. It has a few 'cool' features which are rarely used but loads and loads of unforgivable omissions - the Psion 5 (or even 3a) was a far more advanced device.

Obviously the P900 is an improvement, but it seems they have done nothing at all to address any of the real issues, just added further multimedia frills of little use. What a waste.
    I read that the UIQ in p900 is quite a bit more stable. P900 is generally a bit more phone-centric than T600.

Lack of profile is a big minus for some, but not a big conern for me. Silent/ring is good enough for me. I try to keep my life simple -- notwithstanding all the gadgetry around me.
    BT is good for the BT headset, which Treo600 is really lack of...
    But apart from the BT, what P900 is over Treo600 are only the eye-candy resolution and the video recording... which I think is pretty secondary to be a true communicator!!

the keyboard of Treo600 is just too good to be missed! email, sms, internet messaging and etc, the HS 5 ways and keyboard are simply unbeatable comparing to what we have in the market right now. e.g. copy, cut & paste = menu+c, menu+x & menu+p, all one handed operation!!!

T9 for all the above!? not for me....
    Originally posted by zipmitz

To me, only road warriors who tap out LONG emails lots of time will prefer the Treo over the P900. But truth is, if they are that dedicated to emails, neither device is good. The Bberry blows the doors off of them BOTH.

How do the browsers compare between the T600, P900 and whichever Bberry you have tried in terms of speed and page rendering, and which do you recommend browser wise? Thanks-
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    I haven't decided yet, but I'm leaning towards the Treo because:

1) keyboard.

2) 850 band. I'm in a fringe area, and if they ever build out GSM coverage around here, it will be 850
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Originally posted by WirelessJ
    How do the browsers compare?
    Yeah, that's kind of where the Treo pulls ahead again. Not so much that it has a better browser (which, I imagine it doesn't -- I wish there was a Palm version of Opera!) but because there is so much more choice on the Palm platform in general. At this point we continue to wait for a good browser, of course, but there are quite a few things to play around with. There are a ton of good email programs for the Treo, as opposed to the provided Symbian or Blackberry options (honest question -- can you install third party apps for stuff like this on those devices?), and the developers of this kind of stuff are eminently accessible as well, which is very cool. I mean, Will Lau and the Chatter dude post on this board. That's pretty neat.

...Um, that didn't answer your question at all.

Psion folks -- I feel your pain. I've been looking for a replacement for my freakin' Newton for six freakin' years!

So, yeah. The Treo might not be better overall, but it definitely provides more almost perfect options.
    P900 BLOWS THE DOORS OFF THE TREO DON'T LET THAT DISSUADE YOU SOME NOT ALL NOTHING LONG BOTH SCREEN SIZE AND RESOLUTION NO MATCH NO WAY.
    Stop yelling. Sheesh.
    Do mp3s sound better thru headphones or speaker on the P900?

The mp3s thru the speaker on the T600 are much louder than thru a P800.

The P900 is more expensive here in the UK.

When you add the cost of 1gb of memory cards, the P900 ends up 300 to 500 USD more expensive!

It seems that the P900 can only take up to 128MB memory duo cards, whereas the T600 can take 512MB, and perhaps 1gb or even 2gb SD cards.

The T600 also has SD/IO support.
  15.    #15  

1. For most people, most data entry will be short one handed SMS or email responses. When the data entry comparison is reduced to one handed entry, the T9 capabilities of the P900 reduce or even eliminate the edge, especially since the P900 keys are better spaced and wider.
    I'm not a heavy data entry user. But I wonder how useable T9 is on P900.

Porting my palm stuff to P900 is a serious concern. I have some CJK (east asian) contact info in my old palm. As I understand, there's no installable app on symbian for taking other languages.

Or, I might as well say "argh screw it" and keep the SE T610 for another year. It does a pretty damn good job in everything except serious PDA stuff, and it's free with a free BT headset.

But the waiting game never ends. In a year I'll be tempted to wait for 640x640 screens and 3G data...
    Hi

I can't speak about the 900, but the most striking thing to me about the Treo, rather than this or that particular feature is how usable, ergonomic, enjoyable and allround *FUN* it is to use.

Its that indefinable, unquantifiable something that "just works" (IMHO)
  17.    #17  
    For those of you pondering/wondering about the same question, here's an interesting link I just found:

http://www.mobiledia.com/specs/side.html

Side by side comparison.

My preliminary conclusion: P900 is a better "phone", while T600 is a better "PDA" (well, aside from the pathetic screen -- sorry, face it, HS just screwed up here).

In a way, it boils down to the old religious war of PDA vs phone. I had my palm before my first cellphone. So I was in the PDA camp at first. As I used cellphones more, I started to migrate to the phone camp. Now I emphasize the phone part slightly more than the PDA part.

I must say I'm more inclined to P900:

T800 P900
    Res 160x160 208x360 (2.5 times)
    Color 4k 65k
    Talk time 6 hr 16 hr (wow!)
    Standby time 240 hr 480 hr (wow!)
    Voice command No (WHAT?) Yes
    Bluetooth No (WHAT?) Yes (YES!)

There're other diffs (where P900 has better specs) that I personally don't consider important.
    Last edited by misnomer; 11/14/2003 at 09:20 PM.
  18.    #18  
    Originally posted by billyb
    If the p900 had a snap on keyboard like the dialpad... hmmmm...
    Coming to think of it, it should be trivial for SE to make a thumbboard cover. All you need to do is to snap out the keypad cover and snap in the thumbboard.

Or for a third-party, for that matter.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    The Sony P900 is a freak with no future.

Symbian? Is that one of those smelly girls from Deep Space 9?

Who sells it in the US anyway? Some fluckrussian arabian import company at $ 1200?

I bet you you won't see a P900 in 2 years on the street.
    My preliminary conclusion: P900 is a better "phone", while T600 is a better "PDA" (well, aside from the pathetic screen -- sorry, face it, HS just screwed up here).
    Based on my P800 I'd say its a lousy phone. Poor speech and reception quality. Buggy OS (many crashes), poor multitasking, no profiles, no default SMS reports. The OS makes many simple phone tasks a real pain.

Its not much of a PDA either. The built in applications are very poor indeed and the third party software range is lacking and often well overpriced.

Sorry, but after 10 months usage thats how I see it. Lots of colours and a pretty screen do not a PDA/Phone make.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast