Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Zimpitz,
    Since you own both of them, could you please post a picture of the two side by side?
    Thanks.
    A very informative post zipmitz. I was responding to your previous post as a past P800 user and a new Treo 600 user. Your post obviously took time and I though it deserved a detailed reply, as does this one!

Originally posted by zipmitz

I don't know if you own both units as I do. The P800 is NOT the same instrument as the P900. If that's the case, then one should feel free to compare either P800 or P900 to the Treo 270/300.
    I owned a P800 from its first day of release. I don't own a P900 but have tried it out a few times, before deciding on the Treo.
    I own both the P900 and the Treo 600. The hand feel of the P900 is a far different . The P900 finish is far superior. The screen BLOWS the doors off the Treo.
    I agree the P900 is far better than the P800, but the screen on the Treo suits my purposes fine. It's bright, colourful and clear. The P900 screen adds nothing more that I need. I *do* accept other peoples requirements might be different to mine.
    You are obviously being a wise guy when you say that I said there are no compromises, but then state one, regarding the keyboard.
    You were asking for it though <G>
    It was obvious to all but one who is emotionally connected to the Treo, that my point was that S/E didn't feel they were compromising, in its design, although some users may feel that giving up the keyboard is a compromise.

The point I was trying to make was that HS actually DID make compromises with their LOUSY screen, the crappy camera and the lack of voice recording or recognition (to name but a few). HS did that because they are so busted that they couldn't afford to give you all the features a smartphone of that class should have. Everyone here - including devotees - acknowledge these compromises.
    It all depends on what you consider to be the most importing factors in defining a 'smart' phone. I don't rate voice recording, camera or more than a few thousand colours as anywhere near my top 20.
    S/E, on the other hand left off the keyboard, not due to cost, but because it was part of their basic design to leave it out. Not because they wanted to fit it in, but couldn't afford to do it.

If you feel that the screen of the Treo 600 is better, than it's CLEAR that you haven't seen the P900 side by side with the Treo, if at all. We are talking HUGE differences. And that doesn't even take into account the tighter software, the better graphical support and the very basic issue of size. It may be fine for YOU. But you can't in all honesty say that the Treo 600 screen compares favorably to the P900 - or just about any other smartphone.
    But it does the job well, extremely well in-fact for what I consider a smart-phone must provide.
    Similarly, you can't keep a straight face and say that the Treo camera and the P900 cameras are "equally bad". They are simply not and you are the first and only person I ever ran into who ever said that. OTOH, many people have said the opposite, including in published review. Ditto Blazer versus Opera. Most people give the nod to Opera and consider Blazer near primitive. No one says they are equally bad.
    Sorry but I WILL say it again. The Treo camera and P800/P900 (they are the same) are both terrible to the point of being unusable. Plenty of people in my neck of the woods agree.

I was trying (perhaps badly) to say that the whole 'browsing experience' is poor over GPRS on any device I've tried. The web needs broadband to make it a pleasant experience, the browser obviously adds value (and yes, Opera is better than Blazer) but connection speed is more important.
    There is a 100 pound difference in the price on Orange between the two phones. I agree it's higher. But it's not the same thing as comparing the $800 and up people are paying in the US for P900s with the $399 trade-in. That's not the basic comparison. To me, $150 on a big ticket item like these phones puts them in the same relative ballpark.
    Agreed.
    As to software, I have used Palm since the very first PalmPilot came out years ago. I am as well versed in the Palm OS as anyone, I would suppose in the world of users. And I can say the following - the overwhelming utility is in the PIM for most people and the differences between the PIMS in the Palm and the P900 are not worth farting over. Beyond that, both units can view the most common documents that people would like to view on a PDA. Other applications are not such a big deal to the overwheliming population of users and many of those tailored for Palm have Symbian equivalents.
    I've been a Psion (forerunner to the P800/P900) since the Psion 3 so I know Epoc well. I've never been a Palm user. I'm sorry but the PIM in the P*00 is just very very poor. Amazingly so. The palm might not look pretty (look at a Psion 5 for that) but it offers soo much more functionality.
    As to the P800 being late, you may be right. The P900 was not. Every Treo phone product that HS has put out has been late. EVERY SINGLE ONE has been late, and plagued by unavailability as well as workmanship issues.

HS gave firm dates - from the mouth of the CEO as to product availability and then her people denied it. They said that the GSM was available through Cingular when all they did was take pre-orders. And even then, they missed the boat on processing and shipping. You'd call them and for a month, they'd say 2 to 3 weeks and while the calendar moved, the 2 to 3 weeks didn't.

The long and short of it is, HS was near busted and that's why they made CLEAR compromises. Only the most rabid Treo fans deny that.
    Ah, I wasn't aware of that. As I say, I've been an Ericsson phone user and Psion user for ages so have never used a Palm device before - The Psion was clearly superior.

We obviously have different requirements for our phones/pds'a which is fine, the market is big enough for them all and competing products only bring about further improvements quicker.

The Treo suits my purposes wonderfully. I just doesn't annoy me like the P800 did. I can find software to do everything I want. I like the keyboard. I find it a better phone - again for what I consider important. I'd only vaguely heard of Handspring in the past - so can hardly be considered a "rabid Treo fan", although I could well become one

So ends this ramble.
    Originally posted by franspace
    Zimpitz,
    Since you own both of them, could you please post a picture of the two side by side?
    Thanks.
    No can do. it's impossible to take a picture of both, when they are the only two cameras I have.....
    For me, and many other users, Palm and PPC are the only viable platforms to use. I use two desktop programs all day long which synchronize with the Palm OS only. They don't work on any other platform.

Therefore, no matter how pretty the P900's screen is (I would really like hi-res and bright) or how great the software runs, it won't work for me or many other users like me.
    Zimpitz,
    Answer me this then. Is it true that the P900 is approximately the same length (height) as the T600, but the 900 doesn't have an antenna extending out the top?
    So is the main body of the 900 1/4 to 1/2 inch longer than the T600?
    Just wondering.
    Thanks!
    Zimpitz,
    Answer me this then. Is it true that the P900 is approximately the same length (height) as the T600, but the 900 doesn't have an antenna extending out the top?
    So is the main body of the 900 1/4 to 1/2 inch longer than the T600?
    Just wondering.
    Thanks!
    Yes. It is true
    Zimpitz,
    Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Zimpitz,
    Thanks.
    Here's a few hastily taken pictures of the Treo600, the P900 and the Kyocera QCP-6035 (just to clear the palette).

And another....
    Zimpitz,
    Thanks.
    Last One...
    Zimpitz,
    Thanks.
    A lot of glare but the flip is open
    This discussion is great - just what I am looking for ! I am still using my Psion 5MX which is wonderful. I use it for the normal things like calendar, contacts, but also for two or three spreadsheets where I keep track of work things. The only shortcomings are a little bulky, so OK for a briefcase but not for carrying in a pocket all the time, and the sync with Outlook isn't quite right.

I tried a P800 a couple of months ago, with orange in the UK. WHile very pretty, the sync software trashed not one but BOTH of my PC's, running Win 2k with Service Pack 2. One I managed to recover but the other wouldn't boot at all - blue screen of death, and I had to reinstall windows in order to remove the software which appeared to be causing a fatal interuprt clash. Orange UK told me it was my fault for not having SP4 - nothing about this in the documentation ! It went straight back and I am interested to see this and other discussion that software buggy and limited.

I have now been trying the Treo 600 and mixed feelings. I don't relaly mind about the small screen and bluetooth but it too is unreliable in just 10 days of trying. I loaded Docs to go and one game to try - a breakout clone - and the phone stopped receiving calls when the keypad lock was on !!! A soft reset fixed it but it came back. Seems OK now I have removed both and am trying Quickoffice. The next problem is that Hotsync doesn't work reliably on my same PC, Win2k with SP4 now. Sometimes it does, sometimes not, and even then spreadsheets loaded into Quickoffice for transfer don't come across.

However, the worst thing is that I can't figure out how to use it. The policy of Handspring seems to have been to provide almost no 3rd party software. I have used Psion and PCs a lot, and reckon i can work out most computer stuff in 20 minutes, but I can't work out this Palm stuff !! I can't see how to transfer files, and also how to delete app, as you simply see a file list, and you need to know which files the app has loaded. There presumably is a simple file utility for transferring files from the PC but I haven't found it yet.

I'd also like to use the SD card for transferring files from one PC to another and MP3 and none of this provided or easy to see how to do !

At the moment, I think i can't be bothered and will try the P900 - just make sure my PC's are backed up first !

Any reassurance about the Treo would be welcome...
    Originally posted by david holder
    However, the worst thing is that I can't figure out how to use it. The policy of Handspring seems to have been to provide almost no 3rd party software. I can't see how to transfer files, and also how to delete app, as you simply see a file list, and you need to know which files the app has loaded. There presumably is a simple file utility for transferring files from the PC but I haven't found it yet.

I'd also like to use the SD card for transferring files from one PC to another and MP3 and none of this provided or easy to see how to do !
    You really need to sit down and spend ten minutes reading the instruction manual for your phone. Doing so would have answered your basic question about installation.

If you do a search of this site, you'll find the answer to your second question within two minutes. And do you own an SD card reader? It will help you a lot with your Treo 600.
    I stopped by Beep 2000 this morning (the shop on Broadway & 63rd in NYC mentioned in the original post). Not only do they not have P900's in stock ("They'll be here sometime this week."), but Tony could not give me a price at all. He wouldn't even speculate. So much for that.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234