Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Originally posted by zipmitz

Because HS is near bankrupt and can't afford to flood the channel with product. They have to sell, collect, and re-order. That is why they make compromises on the equipment, yet sell at the same price and hope that the form factor makes up the difference.

But don't kid yourselves guys.

Truth is, the single largest smartphone OS WORLDWIDE is....Symbian. Truth.

The 800, in it's brief timespan, sold 800,000 units. I am willing to bet that HS hasn't sold that number of units in all of its models COMBINED. And that includes that stupid visorphone.
    i agree with these comments- i'm currently comparing my gsm treo 600 with my p800, considering going with a p900

another poster expressed quality concerns, and let me tell you, BE CONCERNED.

the first gsm treo 600 i had had the worst distortion and sound quality i've heard on a phone, it was harware rev b, firmware 2.02 i believe.

i just received a replacement- NOT THROUGH HANDSPRING- WHICH WOULD HAVE TAKEN 3-4 WEEKS, but through the guy i purchased it from, who got me another unit...exact same harware and firmware.

btw the way, both the original and replacement are cingular branded units, and i'm using tmobile/cingular in northern california.

the replacement unit is charging on the cradle right now, so far it seems to have none of the audio issues, but i guess we'll see.

anyways, i have another bluetooth phone i can still use with my headset, the lack of voicedialing on the treo really blows, and really makes the thing unsafe to use in the car...

screen- kinda crappy...

thumboard, not so easy to use as i thought, still getting used to it.

there are some other advantages, i wasnt mad about sony's synch conduit, but it did the job...

like other people have stated, i think the p800/900 is a vastly superior phone and web browsing tool, Opera just rules on that screen, no comparison to the treo browser...

the treo is a better email device...tough call, still dont know what i'm going to do myself...also the build and quality issues plaguing treo's are real, ifyou get one,

Because HS is near bankrupt and can't afford to flood the channel with product. They have to sell, collect, and re-order. That is why they make compromises on the equipment, yet sell at the same price and hope that the form factor makes up the difference.

But don't kid yourselves guys.

Truth is, the single largest smartphone OS WORLDWIDE is....Symbian. Truth.

The 800, in it's brief timespan, sold 800,000 units. I am willing to bet that HS hasn't sold that number of units in all of its models COMBINED. And that includes that stupid visorphone.
    i agree with these comments- i'm currently comparing my gsm treo 600 with my p800, considering going with a p900

another poster expressed quality concerns, and let me tell you, BE CONCERNED.

the first gsm treo 600 i had had the worst distortion and sound quality i've heard on a phone, it was harware rev b, firmware 2.02 i believe.

i just received a replacement- NOT THROUGH HANDSPRING- WHICH WOULD HAVE TAKEN 3-4 WEEKS, but through the guy i purchased it from, who got me another unit...exact same harware and firmware.

btw the way, both the original and replacement are cingular branded units, and i'm using tmobile/cingular in northern california.

the replacement unit is charging on the cradle right now, so far it seems to have none of the audio issues, but i guess we'll see.

anyways, i have another bluetooth phone i can still use with my headset, the lack of voicedialing on the treo really blows, and really makes the thing unsafe to use in the car...

screen- kinda crappy...

thumboard, not so easy to use as i thought, still getting used to it.

there are some other advantages, i wasnt mad about sony's synch conduit, but it did the job...

like other people have stated, i think the p800/900 is a vastly superior phone and web browsing tool, Opera just rules on that screen, no comparison to the treo browser...

the treo is a better email device...tough call, still dont know what i'm going to do myself...also the build and quality issues plaguing treo's are real, ifyou get one, TEST IT IN THE STORE BEFORE YOU LEAVE...
    Originally posted by The Zen of Palm

What worries me is how many people have posted here with problems with Handspring's quality control. Rattling buttons, messed-up speakers, display problems, SD card slot tolerances, and phones breaking with minor impacts doesn't bode well. I never buy extended warranties or insurance on my electronics, but this time, if I take the plunge I'll definitely get insurance.

If your Treo is as solid as you say, you might want to hang onto it. A solid Treo might be worth quite a bit these days.

By the way, your avatar is second only to the guy that's got the one of Madonna sticking her tongue down Britney Spears' throat.
    The SD card slot seems to not be 'on the money'. I don't know if it's b/c of the card or the slot. I have a Lexar 256MB card and a PNY 256MB card. The PNY seems to fit a little better. It's only popped out on me once and that was my fault. I haven't experienced the pop out problem that has been reported on the discussion groups.

Being able to return it within a certain amount of time without a problem is a nice thing. But nothing takes the wind out of your sails like a brand new phone that is broken as soon as you get it. Who knows what problems could creep up after say six months of use. I would imagine it doesn't help the relationship between the carrier and the manufacturer or the consumer.

I think I will give the Treo600 to my wife, then sit back and grin while she tries to use it. Or, I'll sell it. Yeah, Madonna and Britney...they are so....giving aren't they? Bless their hearts.
    Originally posted by unixmonkey
    Yeah, Madonna and Britney...they are so....giving aren't they? Bless their hearts.

Funny how Madonna still manages to manipulate the media and generate a controversy. I think bestiality and snuff are the only things she has left to do now.

Now that Madonna has shown Britney the way of Sappho, we'll probably be seeing a lot more of "Bad Britney" from now on...

Good Britney vs. Bad Britney - which one will survive?
    Originally posted by theevaluator
    also the build and quality issues plaguing treo's are real, if you get one, TEST IT IN THE STORE BEFORE YOU LEAVE...
    Kinda hard to do in most Sprint stores. You're lucky to get someone to even show you the phone. To realistically evaluate the phone you have to take it home, use it for a while and then return it if there's a problem.

Handspring may get screwed if they end up having to deal with a high return rate, since they have limited inventory and are low on cash to begin with. The delays in the roll-out are starting to make a lot of sense now.
    I think the answer to P900 vs. Treo600 is entirely dictated by your priorities.

Palm Apps... if you need/want particular Palm Apps and you don't want to carry an extra device around, then the Treo600 is for you. If not...

Bluetooth... if you just want a bluetooth headset, you can get Bluetrek or Jabra with adapter for the Treo; but if you really want multi-device bluetooth, then the P900 is for you. If you're okay with a wired hookup...

Movies... if you have significant need to take or play videos on your phone, then the P900 is for you. However, both are horrid in comparison with real cameras... so, if you have need for quality movies (taking or playing), you'll want a different device anyway, so this criteria would be moot.

If you get to here, then what's more important... PDA functionality or Web browsing? Do you get all the functionality you need from websites, or are you a power-user of non-web apps? If web is your focus, get P900; if you want the best PDA tools, then get the Treo600.

For me, there are key Palm apps that I need, so its a no-brainer. Although my laptop has bluetooth, I really don't mind plugging my phone in. The only thing I want bluetooth for is the headset... and that I can get with a bit of extra bulk on the Treo600. Movies is a cute feature... but if I am doing anything much, I'll do it with my laptop... no phone can touch a PowerBook for video playback or movie editing or anything else related to movies. And Treo's Blazer is plenty good for my web needs... but I want great calendar, todo, etc., functionality.
    Does the P800/P900 suffer from the same horrid, SonyEricsson RF performance as the T68 and the T610?
    Originally posted by mikegold
    Does the P800/P900 suffer from the same horrid, SonyEricsson RF performance as the T68 and the T610?
    No. By the way, the T616 (i.e. the T610 on AT&T's network) has pretty good reception. Much better than the T68i. The T616 pairs up quite nicely with Sony's CLIE UX-40 - if you're willing to carry two separate devices.
  9.    #49  
    Originally posted by Brian Stradale
    These two are no doubt the best in pdaphones.

PocketPC ones are just too big and ugly, except to PDA maniacs. Hitachi G1000 actually looks good -- if only it were slimmer... Plus, I just don't trust my phone on M$, not yet.

Samsung has some very compelling pdaphones. Unfortunately, they're mostly for Sprint, which I'm the prison term. SGH-I500 looked VERY intriguing. But they've scraped it.

Nokia has been dead in the converged movement. Surprising. It'd be insteresting to see what they come up.

If T600 had
    1. Larger TFT screen
    2. Bluetooth
    3. More consistent build quality

it'd have been so much bigger a story.
    I currently have a SonyEricsson P800, and I am considering getting a Treo 600. I have the following questions:

1. How is the battery life on the Treo compared to the P800? I know the battery capacity on the Treo is smaller, but with the smaller screen does the Treo get better life? This is my main gripe with the P800, as I barely get one full day of use between charges (30-60 minutes talking & heavy surfing).

2. Can individual ringtones be assigned to individual contacts? The manual says that there is one ringtone for "known" numbers & another ringtone for "unknown" numbers. Does that mean no individual ringtones?

3. How bad is the SD card popping-out problem? My second main gripe with the P800 is the proprietary MemoryStick Duo format. I can get a 512MB SD card for about the price of a 128MB Duo.

4. How loud are the ringtones? If I am in a noisy room, sometimes I can barely hear my p800 ringing (and the vibrate on the p800 is kinda weak).

5. What percentage of Palm applications won't run because of the low-resolution screen? I have never owned a Palm OS machine, and I don't know if this is a big deal or not.

Thanks in advance for your help in answering these questions! (I'm sure that I will have more questions soon)...
    1. How is the battery life on the Treo compared to the P800? I know the battery capacity on the Treo is smaller, but with the smaller screen does the Treo get better life? This is my main gripe with the P800, as I barely get one full day of use between charges (30-60 minutes talking & heavy surfing).
    Well, I never had a P800 so I can't give you a comparison. But from my experience, the Treo600 batterylongevity is quite good. I can easily use the phone a full day w/o worrying about the battery, and that with good 3-4 hours fo talking and email/web surfing. Stretching it day and half and you're stretching the battery though...

2. Can individual ringtones be assigned to individual contacts? The manual says that there is one ringtone for "known" numbers & another ringtone for "unknown" numbers. Does that mean no individual ringtones?
    Unfortunately, the default ring tone manager doesn't let you do this. However, there is an app called TC Ringer which is in development and should be released soon that will allow you to manage individual ringers to contacts. It was an exemplary app for the Treo300 and I imagine it will be the same for the Treo600 as well.

3. How bad is the SD card popping-out problem? My second main gripe with the P800 is the proprietary MemoryStick Duo format. I can get a 512MB SD card for about the price of a 128MB Duo.
    I have a 512 SD card myself and really haven't had too much of a problem with the SD card popping out. There are a few workarounds using tape etc that make it less likely to pop out and a freeware app called palmpuke that makes a loud noise to alert you went it comes out. Basically, get a nice case for the Treo that covers the SD slot and forget about IMO...

4. How loud are the ringtones? If I am in a noisy room, sometimes I can barely hear my p800 ringing (and the vibrate on the p800 is kinda weak).
    This depends on the ringtone. Some of the midis I've downloaded are very loud and ohters are not. Try search for loud midis. However, the vibrate on the Treo600 is too weak for my liking. Its alright if have a blet clip, but not powerful enough if its in you pocket imo...

This isn't an issue IMO. 160x160 is the traditional resolution for PalmOS and virtually every app supports this as standard. There might be some high end games that don't but nothing I can think off the top of my head. A more relavent issue are compatibilty problems regarding OS 5 and older apps like hacks, web clippings etc that might concern some users. But there are some solutions like the recent DA upgrade, YAHM etc...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  12.    #52  
    Oh I'd love to get my filthy hands on this beauty...

http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp?Id=326

Motorola is coming out with A925 soon, which makes the A920 a de facto beta test version.

So, when can we, the ones living in the sole superpower country in the world, have 3G damnit?

GPRS speed is a joke. Yes, I started with 300 baud voice coupled modems.

Well, while I'm at it, here's a piece about 4G -- which is not terribly exciting technologically, but commercially quite intriguing.

http://www.ebusinessforum.com/index....ry&doc_id=6509

I really hope they'll stick to 3G. Forget about multimedia. The real market potential is broadband -- no cable, no additional phoneline, anywhere you go, laptop, pda, cellphonewatch, all the same thing!
    Last edited by misnomer; 11/16/2003 at 11:49 PM.
    Humm...p800/p900

Crappy Memory Standard
    Smallish Internal Memory
    VERY limited software selection
    Can't edit Office Documents
    Doesn't offer Money, Pocket Quicken, UltraSoft Money type software
    No SDIO Support
    With flip removed...you better have nice fingernails to dial
    Pathetic stylus (p800)
    AWFUL transfer speeds with file copying or installations via cradle.

blah blah blah

Now don't get me wrong...both the P800/P900 are gorgeous devices! I would go as far to say they look better than the T600! The thing is it's a show off device. It's a "I have a small ***** but look at my $1000 phone that nobody else has". I had a P800 but also lugged around my ipaq 2210..why? Because of the lack of software and the limited productivity I could do with the P800. I guess when you look at a device such as the P900, you want to be blown away, not only in looks but in performance. If there's any device that would tempt me from the T600, it would be the XDA II. Now what I do miss with the P800:

Streaming video
    Wireless integration. Send via SMS, MMS, BlueTooth, IR, Email, etc
    Jog Dial
    Better camera
    Able to play wav files as ringtones (I MISS THIS ALOT!)

After being able to do so much more with the T600 I don't regret it at all, plus I got $500 for the p800 on ebay. Not bad for a used phone with chips on the edges, non-english manual, etc. I'am torn between the Sprint PCS and GSM T600. Kinda wish I had the GSM version as it was fun sending MMS pics to my friends on the fly.

P800->Treo 600->P900->XDA II->P900->MPx->Treo 600->iPaq 6315->MDA III->i-Mate PDA2k->o2 XDA IIs & o2 XDA II Mini
    Originally posted by jskier
    I currently have a SonyEricsson P800, and I am considering getting a Treo 600. I have the following questions:

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $Treo$ $battery$ $is$ $much$ $bigger$. $1800mAh$ $versus$ $only$ $1280mAh$ $for$ $P900$ $and$ $1000mAh$ $for$ $P800$. $So$ $if$ $you$ $go$ $for$ $a$ $GSM$ $Treo$ $600$ $you$ $should$ $get$ $somewhat$ $better$ $battery$ $life$.

[/B]
    You can assign up to 50 individual ringtones and pictures. I've written an app so that you can switch between banks of 50 quickly using an SD card.

[/B]
    Nothing a case or a bit of tape and definitely get PalmPuke -it's free and hilarious!

[/B]
    You may have to re-edit the midi ringtones to make them a bit louder.
    They are quite loud, and the speaker on the Treo 600 is much louder than the P800.

5. What percentage of Palm applications won't run because of the low-resolution screen? I have never owned a Palm OS machine, and I don't know if this is a big deal or not.

Thanks in advance for your help in answering these questions! (I'm sure that I will have more questions soon)...
    [/B]
    There are a fair number that won't run yet. A lot will be updated soon.
    As there are 17,000 apps or more available, this is usually not much of a problem, as you should be able to find an alternative.
    Last edited by Cyril; 11/17/2003 at 03:27 AM.
    Originally posted by Cyril

You may have to re-edit the midi ringtones to make them a bit louder.
    They are quite loud, and the speaker on the Treo 600 is much louder than the P800.
    Hey Cyril, which app do you use to edit midis? I'ld like to re-edit some midi ringtones myself to make them louder! TIA...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by Brian Stradale

Palm Apps... if you need/want particular Palm Apps and you don't want to carry an extra device around, then the Treo600 is for you. If not...

Bluetooth... if you just want a bluetooth headset, you can get Bluetrek or Jabra with adapter for the Treo; but if you really want multi-device bluetooth, then the P900 is for you. If you're okay with a wired hookup...

Movies... if you have significant need to take or play videos on your phone, then the P900 is for you. However, both are horrid in comparison with real cameras... so, if you have need for quality movies (taking or playing), you'll want a different device anyway, so this criteria would be moot.

If you get to here, then what's more important... PDA functionality or Web browsing? Do you get all the functionality you need from websites, or are you a power-user of non-web apps? If web is your focus, get P900; if you want the best PDA tools, then get the Treo600.

For me, there are key Palm apps that I need, so its a no-brainer. Although my laptop has bluetooth, I really don't mind plugging my phone in. The only thing I want bluetooth for is the headset... and that I can get with a bit of extra bulk on the Treo600. Movies is a cute feature... but if I am doing anything much, I'll do it with my laptop... no phone can touch a PowerBook for video playback or movie editing or anything else related to movies. And Treo's Blazer is plenty good for my web needs... but I want great calendar, todo, etc., functionality.
    There are a couple of other issues to consider.

Quality tops my list. I have a P900 AND a T600. Hands DOWN, the P900 is better made. It is the difference between the THUNK that you hear when you close a Benz as compared to what you hear when you close the door of a Chevy. NO COMPARISON.

There are NO compromises regarding the P900's design. Sure you can say it has no thumb board. That may be a compromise to a user, but it was NOT a design compromise by Sony.

They put in a great flip that has embedded T9 in it and having used it now for a while, I have to tell you that for almost all of my text entry (the shorter burst type) there is almost NO difference in the time or experience in data entry.

But they didn't put in a crappy screen. They didn't put in a crappy camera. They didn't leave out voice recording or recognition. They didn't put in a crappy browser. The thing is solid in your hand - no rattles. The speaker is WONDERFUL.

You can't lose sight of a very important fact - HS was on the balls of its **** when it designed and built the Treo 600. It left all these things OUT and is still charging you the same price for it. Yes, some will say that the P900 is now more expensive in the US, but they are WRONG to make that comparison since the P900 is still not technically released in the US. You want a comparison? Look at Orange. They sell both, at basically the same price.

So HS was busted and they put out a product that has GLARING weaknesses and omissions. That is what you are buying into.

As to Palm apps, how many people are really wedded to Palm apps? Games? you can view excel and word docs on the P900. There is a multitude of comparable Symbian products out there - keep this in mind - Symbian is the DOMINANT Euro PDA OS and the P800 sold more units (800,000 and counting) than all of the other Treos COMBINED.

And to compound things, the people at HS are no good liars. They have consistently lied about launch dates, they have consistently mislead people with their communications. They whetted your appetites and made you drool for months with a shameful series of emails to entice you and then, what? Nothing! They have treated their most important customers - the domestic US GSM market - like trailer trash as you sit there watching all your CDMA friends with their phones.

To me, it's a no brainer.

The Treo 600 is barely in the same league as the P900. And the people who make it are not very nice people.
    There are a couple of other issues to consider.

Quality tops my list. I have a P900 AND a T600. Hands DOWN, the P900 is better made. It is the difference between the THUNK that you hear when you close a Benz as compared to what you hear when you close the door of a Chevy. NO COMPARISON.
    I wouldn't know about the Chevy v Benz, never having owned either (What's a Chevy?) but my Treo 600 is far better put together than the P900, and in a different league from the P800.
    There are NO compromises regarding the P900's design. Sure you can say it has no thumb board. That may be a compromise to a user, but it was NOT a design compromise by Sony.
    So you're saying there are no compromises and then that actually there are? Interesting.
    They put in a great flip that has embedded T9 in it and having used it now for a while, I have to tell you that for almost all of my text entry (the shorter burst type) there is almost NO difference in the time or experience in data entry.

But they didn't put in a crappy screen. They didn't put in a crappy camera. They didn't leave out voice recording or recognition. They didn't put in a crappy browser. The thing is solid in your hand - no rattles. The speaker is WONDERFUL.
    I find the Treo screen excellent - bright and clear, just what I need. The P900 camera is a joke, make yourself a pin-hole camera and you'll find its better quality. The Treo 600 camera is equally bad. The Treo 600 keyboard is excellent. I find the Blazer browser equal to the Opera on the P900, although browsing on any mobile/pda is a poor substitute for a computer with broadband anyway.
    You can't lose sight of a very important fact - HS was on the balls of its **** when it designed and built the Treo 600. It left all these things OUT and is still charging you the same price for it. Yes, some will say that the P900 is now more expensive in the US, but they are WRONG to make that comparison since the P900 is still not technically released in the US. You want a comparison? Look at Orange. They sell both, at basically the same price.
    The Treo 600 is significantly cheaper than the P900 on Orange.
    So HS was busted and they put out a product that has GLARING weaknesses and omissions. That is what you are buying into.

As to Palm apps, how many people are really wedded to Palm apps? Games? you can view excel and word docs on the P900. There is a multitude of comparable Symbian products out there - keep this in mind - Symbian is the DOMINANT Euro PDA OS and the P800 sold more units (800,000 and counting) than all of the other Treos COMBINED.
    The P900/P800 applications are still very limited, both in number and in functionality. The Treo has so many applications available I don't know where to start. I'm a long time Psion user, but I'm afraid Epoc 7/Symbian OS is terrible.
    And to compound things, the people at HS are no good liars. They have consistently lied about launch dates, they have consistently mislead people with their communications. They whetted your appetites and made you drool for months with a shameful series of emails to entice you and then, what? Nothing! They have treated their most important customers - the domestic US GSM market - like trailer trash as you sit there watching all your CDMA friends with their phones.
    The P800 was almost a year late. Don't understand the rest of what you're trying to say?
    To me, it's a no brainer.

The Treo 600 is barely in the same league as the P900. And the people who make it are not very nice people.
    Again, disagree strongly. I've now sold the P800 after 9 months of fustration. The P900 was a no go due to all the same problems as the P800. They've fixed and added nothing that's important to me. More eye candy. Little functionality, either as a phone or as a PDA.

A very happy Treo 600 user.

(please excuse any spelling mistakes, I'm typing this using a Windows box and it doesn't have the system-wide spellchecker of my Mac)
    Zipmitz,
    In examining the bulk of the two units, it appears they are about identical in size and weight. But I looked on the Sony website and the P900 just "looks" bigger. The 4 and a half or so inches of height. I think the Sony looks bigger because it doesn't have an antenna and HS measures the T600 to the tip of the antenna. Is this true?
    Can you post side by side pictures? Or point me to pics if they're already here somewhere?
    I have a UX50 that I'm trying out and it's really nice to have a quality screen, and I know what you mean about the "quality" of the case.
    I am toying with the idea of keeping the UX50 and getting a tiny BT phone for mobile access. The WiFi connecitivity in the UX50 is great!
    Thanks.
    LOL, Page3! Nice rebuttal.

Maybe there was some bad quality Treo 600's early in production... otherwise, I don't understand the quality statements made here...

The Treo600 I bought last week is rock solid. Definitely Benz quality. Nothing rattling; nothing even remotely loose. Every button has a solid feel. Every seam is tight and straight. And, so far, it has been very scratch-resistant.
    Originally posted by page3

I wouldn't know about the Chevy v Benz, never having owned either (What's a Chevy?) but my Treo 600 is far better put together than the P900, and in a different league from the P800.

So you're saying there are no compromises and then that actually there are? Interesting.

I find the Treo screen excellent - bright and clear, just what I need. The P900 camera is a joke, make yourself a pin-hole camera and you'll find its better quality. The Treo 600 camera is equally bad. The Treo 600 keyboard is excellent. I find the Blazer browser equal to the Opera on the P900, although browsing on any mobile/pda is a poor substitute for a computer with broadband anyway.

The Treo 600 is significantly cheaper than the P900 on Orange.

The P900/P800 applications are still very limited, both in number and in functionality. The Treo has so many applications available I don't know where to start. I'm a long time Psion user, but I'm afraid Epoc 7/Symbian OS is terrible.

The P800 was almost a year late. Don't understand the rest of what you're trying to say?

Again, disagree strongly. I've now sold the P800 after 9 months of fustration. The P900 was a no go due to all the same problems as the P800. They've fixed and added nothing that's important to me. More eye candy. Little functionality, either as a phone or as a PDA.

A very happy Treo 600 user.

(please excuse any spelling mistakes, I'm typing this using a Windows box and it doesn't have the system-wide spellchecker of my Mac)

I don't know if you own both units as I do. The P800 is NOT the same instrument as the P900. If that's the case, then one should feel free to compare either P800 or P900 to the Treo 270/300.

I own both the P900 and the Treo 600. The hand feel of the P900 is a far different . The P900 finish is far superior. The screen BLOWS the doors off the Treo.

You are obviously being a wise guy when you say that I said there are no compromises, but then state one, regarding the keyboard.

It was obvious to all but one who is emotionally connected to the Treo, that my point was that S/E didn't feel they were compromising, in its design, although some users may feel that giving up the keyboard is a compromise.

The point I was trying to make was that HS actually DID make compromises with their LOUSY screen, the crappy camera and the lack of voice recording or recognition (to name but a few). HS did that because they are so busted that they couldn't afford to give you all the features a smartphone of that class should have. Everyone here - including devotees - acknowledge these compromises.

S/E, on the other hand left off the keyboard, not due to cost, but because it was part of their basic design to leave it out. Not because they wanted to fit it in, but couldn't afford to do it.

If you feel that the screen of the Treo 600 is better, than it's CLEAR that you haven't seen the P900 side by side with the Treo, if at all. We are talking HUGE differences. And that doesn't even take into account the tighter software, the better graphical support and the very basic issue of size. It may be fine for YOU. But you can't in all honesty say that the Treo 600 screen compares favorably to the P900 - or just about any other smartphone.

Similarly, you can't keep a straight face and say that the Treo camera and the P900 cameras are "equally bad". They are simply not and you are the first and only person I ever ran into who ever said that. OTOH, many people have said the opposite, including in published review. Ditto Blazer versus Opera. Most people give the nod to Opera and consider Blazer near primitive. No one says they are equally bad.

There is a 100 pound difference in the price on Orange between the two phones. I agree it's higher. But it's not the same thing as comparing the $800 and up people are paying in the US for P900s with the $399 trade-in. That's not the basic comparison. To me, $150 on a big ticket item like these phones puts them in the same relative ballpark.

As to software, I have used Palm since the very first PalmPilot came out years ago. I am as well versed in the Palm OS as anyone, I would suppose in the world of users. And I can say the following - the overwhelming utility is in the PIM for most people and the differences between the PIMS in the Palm and the P900 are not worth farting over. Beyond that, both units can view the most common documents that people would like to view on a PDA. Other applications are not such a big deal to the overwheliming population of users and many of those tailored for Palm have Symbian equivalents.

As to the P800 being late, you may be right. The P900 was not. Every Treo phone product that HS has put out has been late. EVERY SINGLE ONE has been late, and plagued by unavailability as well as workmanship issues.

HS gave firm dates - from the mouth of the CEO as to product availability and then her people denied it. They said that the GSM was available through Cingular when all they did was take pre-orders. And even then, they missed the boat on processing and shipping. You'd call them and for a month, they'd say 2 to 3 weeks and while the calendar moved, the 2 to 3 weeks didn't.

The long and short of it is, HS was near busted and that's why they made CLEAR compromises. Only the most rabid Treo fans deny that.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast