Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 73
  1.    #21  
    Originally posted by mgauss
    The Sony P900 is a freak with no future.

    Symbian? Is that one of those smelly girls from Deep Space 9?

    Who sells it in the US anyway? Some fluckrussian arabian import company at $ 1200?

    I bet you you won't see a P900 in 2 years on the street.
    Nobody has ever sold a round-plug electric power cord in the US either. Somehow it's managed quite a bit of market share for over a century. Hard to imagine, ain't it?

    Grow up, kiddo. It's a phone. You're not married to it. It doesn't reflect your worth as a person in any way.

    But, I digress. Obsession can make one feel important and meaningful through association I suppose.
  2. #22  
    For me it really comes down to OS preference. When I had a chance to play with a P800 earlier, I found the UIQ interface very clean and elagent. The problem is that there are simply no apps that I require on that platform! Also overall, the P800/900 blows away the Treo600 in terms of screen rez and BT like everyone has already stated. But these are very well established shortcomings of the Treo600, so it shouldn't be any suprise. The other advantage is the video recording capabilities of the P900. This seems interesting but the overall pic quality doesn't seem that much better according the Mobile Burn Review. (FYI, here is the Treo 600 review by Burn for a nice comparison). On the other hand, I really don't understand the arguement people are making advocating T9 over the QWERTY keyboard? I absolutely hate T9 and I seriously tried to adjust to it. In terms of data entry, the Treo600 simply blows the P900 away regardless of the small keys. Also, it should be noted that there are several predictive text solutions for PalmOS that can match T9 anyway. Finally, I don't understand why the P900 has better phone capability than the Treo600? AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $I$ $get$ $absolutely$ $fabulous$ $reception$ $on$ $my$ $T600$. $I$ $suppose$ $battery$ $talk$ $time$ $and$ $stand$ $by$ $time$ $favor$ $the$ $P900$ $though$...$Overall$, $there$'$s$ $just$ $more$ $diversity$ $in$ $the$ $things$ $you$ $can$ $do$ $with$ $the$ $Treo600$ $and$ $PalmOS$ $imo$. $Finally$ $with$ $a$ $decent$ $J2ME$ $on$ $the$ $Treo600$, $there$ $should$ $be$ $no$ $lack$ $of$ $comparable$ $apps$ $on$ $the$ $Treo600$...
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3. #23  
    Originally posted by mgauss
    The Sony P900 is a freak with no future.

    Symbian? Is that one of those smelly girls from Deep Space 9?

    Who sells it in the US anyway? Some fluckrussian arabian import company at $ 1200?

    I bet you you won't see a P900 in 2 years on the street.
    I'm surprised the 900 isn't/won't be widely available in the USA. In the UK the P800 was widely available and promoted in virtually every phone shop (as was the XDA).

    If only the Treo was so widely visible here it would fly off the shelves...
  4. #24  
    Originally posted by JonStern


    I'm surprised the 900 isn't/won't be widely available in the USA. In the UK the P800 was widely available and promoted in virtually every phone shop (as was the XDA).

    If only the Treo was so widely visible here it would fly off the shelves...
    You are wrong....

    The P900 was only recently released in Europe. It will migrate here, just as the 800 did.

    Don't forget, the Treo released first in Europe - it's not even really available in the US to this day. Apart from the inital BURST for Sprint, it's tough to get here. Heck, all you have to do is open your eyes and look at this board. There are two or three posts from people talking about status of pending orders, where to find one, what to get when you finally get it for every post from people who actually have it.

    The Treo is NOT widely available here and won't be for a while.

    And why is that?

    Because HS is near bankrupt and can't afford to flood the channel with product. They have to sell, collect, and re-order. That is why they make compromises on the equipment, yet sell at the same price and hope that the form factor makes up the difference.

    But don't kid yourselves guys.

    Truth is, the single largest smartphone OS WORLDWIDE is....Symbian. Truth.

    The 800, in it's brief timespan, sold 800,000 units. I am willing to bet that HS hasn't sold that number of units in all of its models COMBINED. And that includes that stupid visorphone.
  5. #25  
    Originally posted by WirelessJ


    How do the browsers compare between the T600, P900 and whichever Bberry you have tried in terms of speed and page rendering, and which do you recommend browser wise? Thanks-
    The browser in the 900 is the best of the bunch. It could be that it's a product of speedier response of the p900 - I use Tzones for all three devices.

    Speed in declining order - 900, Treo, BBerry.

    If internet connectivity is important to you, the 900 is the way to go. Screen is bigger, meaning it's much easier on the eyes - and that's without taking into account the 65K colors.

    Keyboard is far less important in surfing. And as I've said, it's really not such a big edge.

    Keep this in mind. Road warriors who do heavy emailing will QUICKLY pick up T9 and master it so that the difference in input times and "feel" will not be material. I can tell you that in 10 days with the 900 and 2 days with the Treo, the differences continue to fade.

    Having said that, the push email facility of BBerry and it's more substantial server support blows the doors off of every other device out there.

    The color BBerry I have has a horrible color screen compared to other devices. But it is great for a bberry and until someone ports bberry capability to a smartphone format, I am convinced that I will always need two devices.
  6. #26  
    Originally posted by JonStern
    Hi

    I can't speak about the 900, but the most striking thing to me about the Treo, rather than this or that particular feature is how usable, ergonomic, enjoyable and allround *FUN* it is to use.

    Its that indefinable, unquantifiable something that "just works" (IMHO)
    Fun? That is a conclusion. You are having fun because you already decided you like the phone. Or the idea of the phone.

    It's not really an accurate description. Kinda like people who, when faced with all of the statistics on other shortstops fall back on Derek Jeter being better because he has "presence".
  7.    #27  
    Originally posted by zipmitz

    The browser in the 900 is the best of the bunch. It could be that it's a product of speedier response of the p900 - I use Tzones for all three devices.

    Speed in declining order - 900, Treo, BBerry.
    Hi Zipmitz,
    I've held and beholden a sprint t600, but haven't had the pleasure with p900. I envy you yer lucky dog. So how do you feel about the "feel" of the two? Finish, reception, "solidity", "coolness"?

    One really has to hold and behold it in person to judge on these aspects. Often times this "feel" is the most important factor in decision making -- thus the huge market for high-heels and silicone bags.

    And I don't intend to deny it or fight it.
  8. #28  
    Originally posted by zipmitz

    Because HS is near bankrupt and can't afford to flood the channel with product. They have to sell, collect, and re-order. That is why they make compromises on the equipment, yet sell at the same price and hope that the form factor makes up the difference.
    Palm1 too is near bankrupt??!
  9. #29  
    Originally posted by vkchengm
    Palm1 too is near bankrupt??!
    Yes. Check their financials.

    But Palm didn't do the first treos or this one either. HS did.
  10. #30  
    Originally posted by misnomer
    One really has to hold and behold it in person to judge on these aspects. Often times this "feel" is the most important factor in decision making -- thus the huge market for high-heels and silicone bags.


    And silicone implants!

  11. #31  
    Originally posted by billyb
    If the p900 had a snap on keyboard like the dialpad... hmmmm...

    I'll bet next year we'll see a Treo 600-style snap-on keyboard for the P900 (or P1000 if Sony Ericsson releases a PalmOS smartphone).
  12. #32  
    Originally posted by misnomer
    Bluetooth? Of course it's not NECESSARY -- nothing is except bread and sex.
    I don't need bread.






    Originally posted by misnomer
    Not to mention the fun of bluejacking...
    Since you're Bluejacking, you probably don't need sex either.


  13. #33  
    Originally posted by misnomer
    I have a choice between the two, both GSM....
    P900:
    1. Bigger screen.
    2. Built-in bluetooth. Yes, it IS very convenient and cool. Yes, I know I can get an SD adapter for T600 but it's extra $ and takes up the slot.
    Can you tell us where to get that bluetooth SD card for the T600?
    (with drivers that work with the OS) -
    I for one would sure like to know.
    For me it's a dealbreaker between
    the P900 and the T600.
    Thanks.
  14. #34  
    Originally posted by berwick


    Can you tell us where to get that bluetooth SD card for the T600?
    (with drivers that work with the OS) -
    I for one would sure like to know.
    For me it's a dealbreaker between
    the P900 and the T600.
    Thanks.
    There are NO drivers for Bluetooth cards available for the Treo 600. And don't expect this to change any time soon. If you really need Bluetooth now, pick another phone.

    Handspring has probably lost a lot of sales over this.
  15. #35  
    Originally posted by The Zen of Palm


    There are NO drivers for Bluetooth cards available for the Treo 600. And don't expect this to change any time soon. If you really need Bluetooth now, pick another phone.

    Handspring has probably lost a lot of sales over this.
    Thanks. That's what I was afraid of.
    Even though random Sprint and Handspring folks will tell you otherwise (I've gotten various answers - ranging
    from "Panasonic' to very odd-ball sd
    makers. Sigh.
    Donna D. missed the boat again.
    For want of a tooth....
    The people who wrote about Psion
    and the Newton were on the mark,
    in my view: if only Donna D. & co.
    had stayed at Apple...who knows.
    Guess I'll have to wait.
    IMHO, they *have* lost a lot of
    sales because of this.
  16. #36  
    Originally posted by berwick


    Thanks. That's what I was afraid of.
    Even though random Sprint and Handspring folks will tell you otherwise (I've gotten various answers - ranging
    from "Panasonic' to very odd-ball sd
    makers. Sigh.
    Donna D. missed the boat again.
    For want of a tooth....
    The people who wrote about Psion
    and the Newton were on the mark,
    in my view: if only Donna D. & co.
    had stayed at Apple...who knows.
    Guess I'll have to wait.
    IMHO, they *have* lost a lot of
    sales because of this.
    Bluetooth is a deal breaker for me as well. I purchased a Treo600 and I love it. I hate to give up the phone but I went ahead and purchased a P900 today b/c of the bluetooth functionality. I compared the two phones for almost a week and concluded that, for my needs, the P900 can do anything the Treo600 can do. When I factored in the bluetooth, the P900 ended up being the winner. It's still quite possible that there will be a Bluetooth card for PalmOS 5 before the end of the year. But, that still won't work in my case b/c the Treo600 doesn't support the Hands-Free Profile so I can't use the handsfreelink in the car. At least not without hooking wires everywhre and making the inside of the car look like a science experiment gone wrong.

    Now, I'm just waiting for phone number portability to go in effect at the end of this month before switching carriers.
    Just because you're paranoid it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
  17. #37  
    Originally posted by unixmonkey


    Bluetooth is a deal breaker for me as well. I purchased a Treo600 and I love it. I hate to give up the phone but I went ahead and purchased a P900 today b/c of the bluetooth functionality. I compared the two phones for almost a week and concluded that, for my needs, the P900 can do anything the Treo600 can do. When I factored in the bluetooth, the P900 ended up being the winner. It's still quite possible that there will be a Bluetooth card for PalmOS 5 before the end of the year. But, that still won't work in my case b/c the Treo600 doesn't support the Hands-Free Profile so I can't use the handsfreelink in the car. At least not without hooking wires everywhre and making the inside of the car look like a science experiment gone wrong.

    Now, I'm just waiting for phone number portability to go in effect at the end of this month before switching carriers.

    What did you think of the P900 build quality? The two I've seen so far seemed to have a much more "solid" feel to them than the Treo 600s I've tried out. (If I'm dropping $600 on a phone, I don't want to be hearing any rattles a week later.) Do you know where the P900 is built?

    As much as I liked the P900, I think my investment in Palm apps means it would be a poor choice as a primary phone. I just know Palms too well and have collected too many cool Palm apps over the years that I know will NEVER be available for Symbian.
  18. #38  
    Originally posted by The Zen of Palm



    What did you think of the P900 build quality? The two I've seen so far seemed to have a much more "solid" feel to them than the Treo 600s I've tried out. (If I'm dropping $600 on a phone, I don't want to be hearing any rattles a week later.) Do you know where the P900 is built?

    As much as I liked the P900, I think my investment in Palm apps means it would be a poor choice as a primary phone. I just know Palms too well and have collected too many cool Palm apps over the years that I know will NEVER be available for Symbian.
    I haven't layed my hands on the P900 yet (only a P800) but as far as MY Treo600 goes it is a quality built phone. It's very solid and has a polished look. It feels natural in your hand when you're on a call. Voice quality is very good. The keyboard (or thumb board) is cumbersome at first but you get used to it. The screen resolution was a little disappointing to me. I still haven't figured out why they didn't go with a hi-res screen. The only reason I can think of is battery life. The camera is poor quality but the camera on this phone is just sizzle if you ask me. I wouldn't buy a phone just for the camera and I think many people feel the same way. There are plenty of great digital cameras out there at a really good price, and none of them have phones on them.

    It's funny though, because a guy I work with ordered a Sprint Treo600 about a week after me. One of the buttons on the side broke right after he got it. He didn't have the 'chromed' buttons like mine, they were a medium gray, like they were powder-coated or something. Mine is rock solid, though. Absolutely no manufacturing defaults at all.

    The Palm apps do seem to be the lynchpin for a lot of people. Many people on these forums are longtime Palm/Handspring users and they are hooked on a few Palm apps that they can't live without. I can completely understand that. I just don't use any Palm apps that would keep me from switching from a Palm based phone.
  19. #39  
    personally, I wouldn't call myself a road-warrior for thinking t600's keyboard blows the doors off T9 chicken-pecking. This would definitely be the deal breaker for me. Why visit sites like this on you phone uf you have T9? Most won't.

    The one thing P900 has that I wish T600 had is 3gp file support. This is basically mp4 in a .3gp file format. It can be used for all audio & video needs. It can stream from your pc to your phone, etc. Not a breaker for me, but this would be my biggest deficit on the T600 (3gp for ringers would be nice. I'm SO bored of midis on my T600).

    I guess that's it. I'll never go back to a T9 phone again.
  20. #40  
    Originally posted by unixmonkey
    It's funny though, because a guy I work with ordered a Sprint Treo600 about a week after me. One of the buttons on the side broke right after he got it. He didn't have the 'chromed' buttons like mine, they were a medium gray, like they were powder-coated or something. Mine is rock solid, though. Absolutely no manufacturing defaults at all.
    What worries me is how many people have posted here with problems with Handspring's quality control. Rattling buttons, messed-up speakers, display problems, SD card slot tolerances, and phones breaking with minor impacts doesn't bode well. I never buy extended warranties or insurance on my electronics, but this time, if I take the plunge I'll definitely get insurance.

    If your Treo is as solid as you say, you might want to hang onto it. A solid Treo might be worth quite a bit these days.

    By the way, your avatar is second only to the guy that's got the one of Madonna sticking her tongue down Britney Spears' throat.
    Last edited by The Zen of Palm; 11/15/2003 at 10:43 PM.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions