1.    #1  
    Just got an UK Orange Treo 600. It has been unlocked using Orange provided code. Using Hong Kong netwroks is no problem.

When I took it to China, put in a China Mobile sim, turned the phone on, it searched networks..... and then display Welcome to China Mobile.... Then it just HARD RESET itself - Palm logo displayed.. then screen off.. then Palm logo..screen off...Plam logo - it just went into a loop and one has no choice but to do a hard reset. (soft reset switch did not respond)

I have tried 6-7 other people's sim with the same result. Admittedly some were a couple years old but 2-3 of them were issued within the last few months.

It is not the networks that is causing the problem, as I put in a Hong Kong sim and roamed with China Mobile OK. So it must be incompatibility between Treo 600 and the China SIMS.

I could not get any specifictions fo the China sim, nor the requirement of Treo 600 in regard to the sim specification.

I know old China sims may be a problem, but ALL I tried produced the same result !! Thinking that any one phone cannot be used in any single country is unthinkable (network compatibility considered) but it seems that way.

Anyone can throw in some light?
    Or is it hardware fault?
    http://pc-mobile.net
    Have you contacted Handspring/Orange on this?

This is important to me since I'd need to travel to China. Appreciate if you could keep this updated!
    To Pc-Mobile,

How to unlock UK-Orange's Treo 600?
    I'm in Hong Kong, and my friend will help to buy a
    Orange Treo-600 to me in UK.

So, I urgently needed to clarify... how to unlock Orange
    Treo 600.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards
    Gary
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by misnomer

This is important to me since I'd need to travel to China. Appreciate if you could keep this updated!
    To be honest, I do not think either of them would give any solution.
    It cannot be Orange's problem. If anything, it is either Handspring's hardware or the China sims problem. It is probably asking to much to get any answer (if any) from either in reasonable time.

The only other reliable way at least to find an intrerin answer is to try another phone.
    But getting one in Hong Kong now is almost a miracle. I do not think there is even another one around, let alone getting it.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by garykwok
    To Pc-Mobile,

How to unlock UK-Orange's Treo 600?
    I'm in Hong Kong, and my friend will help to buy a
    Orange Treo-600 to me in UK.

So, I urgently needed to clarify... how to unlock Orange
    Treo 600.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards
    Gary
    You pay Orange 12 months subscription all in one go, and another 20.00.
    You get the code in a few days. There is no other way.
    Originally posted by Pc-Mobile

You pay Orange 12 months subscription all in one go, and another 20.00.
    You get the code in a few days. There is no other way.
    Here in US, you can ask your carrier to give you the unlock code after one month with them. Tell them you need to travel abroad.

After all, they still have the contract, so they don't lose anything.

Also, look around on the web. I won't be surprised if somebody got the unlock code system cracked. You may have to pay a small sum for it.

To be honest, I do not think either of them would give any solution.
    It cannot be Orange's problem. If anything, it is either Handspring's hardware or the China sims problem. It is probably asking to much to get any answer (if any) from either in reasonable time.
    I don't agree.

Every time I buy something and then have trouble with it, be it a car, a computer, a cell phone or whatever, I always contact the place that sold it to me. THEY sell the stuff, so THEY must take responsibility for any problems afterwards.
    So if I was you, I would first contact Orange (via email for instance) as I assume you have the receipt for the Treo. Give them a thourough description of the problem and all the different things you have tried to narrow down the problem. Give them a few days, hopefully they will get back to you.
    Now, they might say that this is a problem with the hardware, and Handspring is responsible for the hardware, but IMO you should demand that Orange take the matter further with Handspring - you should only have to deal with the company that sold you the Treo.

/Christopher
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by grenness

I don't agree.

Every time I buy something and then have trouble with it, be it a car, a computer, a cell phone or whatever, I always contact the place that sold it to me. THEY sell the stuff, so THEY must take responsibility for any problems afterwards.
    So if I was you, I would first contact Orange (via email for instance) as I assume you have the receipt for the Treo. Give them a thourough description of the problem and all the different things you have tried to narrow down the problem. Give them a few days, hopefully they will get back to you.
    Now, they might say that this is a problem with the hardware, and Handspring is responsible for the hardware, but IMO you should demand that Orange take the matter further with Handspring - you should only have to deal with the company that sold you the Treo.

/Christopher
    As you probably gathered, I was hoping for an immediate(temporary it might be) solution. The phone is in Hong Kong. If it is hardware fault, it will go back eventually, but not now.

Handspring (USA) would not even allow the inquiry as the serial number is not recognised. I emailed Handspring UK but I do not expect any satisfactory reply in reasonable time.
  9.    #9  

There should be no problem if you roam with your sim.

There should be no problem if you roam with your sim.
    Roaming with a US sim? I don't think so -- even if possible, it'd probably be cheaper to just get a phone there.

I'd suggest you call up Orange -- I agree with the other poster that they should be the first support here. And you may try Chinese telecomm support -- why not? "This phone works anywhere else in the world, but not here so what's the deal?"

Wait, could it be a language issue? HK sims obviously must support Roman languages but Chinese ones may not.
  11.    #11  

Roaming with a US sim? I don't think so -- even if possible, it'd probably be cheaper to just get a phone there.

I'd suggest you call up Orange -- I agree with the other poster that they should be the first support here. And you may try Chinese telecomm support -- why not? "This phone works anywhere else in the world, but not here so what's the deal?"

Wait, could it be a language issue? HK sims obviously must support Roman languages but Chinese ones may not.
    I do not think Orange can do/help. I do not think it is their problem. I do not think it is Handspring's either, unless it is hardware fault.
    The most probable cause is the sim which is not compatible. The chance is there though small.
    It cannot be the language. Sim in any country should work in English Phone. And the China sims do work in other English only phones.
    I will try China Telecom (if I know where/who) but I do not think any solution is forth coming.
    pc-mobile,
    Any progress? I am a Treo300 user now on Sprint but I have to travel to China alot now fo r business. I ordered a Cingular GSM Treo600 with the Handspring $399 deal assuming that a quad band phone would certainly work in China.

Now I hear that the SIM may be incompatible? I hope this is not the case. Where did you get your GSM phone from? Sounds like HK. Was it unbraded or was it branded to some local carrier?

Thanks
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by JediLite
    pc-mobile,
    Any progress? I am a Treo300 user now on Sprint but I have to travel to China alot now fo r business. I ordered a Cingular GSM Treo600 with the Handspring $399 deal assuming that a quad band phone would certainly work in China.

Now I hear that the SIM may be incompatible? I hope this is not the case. Where did you get your GSM phone from? Sounds like HK. Was it unbraded or was it branded to some local carrier?

Thanks
    No progress. As expected ther was no answer from Handspring/Orange.
    I think it is the sim problem. They are not my sims so I cannot do anything or ask the network provider. So Handspring/Orange probably will not/cannot do anything. As stated above you should have no problem roaming with your own sim.

If you have read the first post you would not have asked the other questions.
    New data on the China Mobile SIM issue.

I just got my Cingular GSM T600 here in California. I have a very recent China Mobile SIM (2 months ago). I put it in the T600 and turned on wireless. It tried to locate the network but couldn't find it (expected). So when I go to the phone app, it says "No service - SOS only"

So all this is expected behavior. However, it did not reboot/restart itself like PCMobile's experience. So what I don't know is if I did this in China, and found the China Mobile network, would it reboot itself. This may mean it's not the SIM card, but it's the actual China Mobile network. I will be in China in early December and will try it then...
    @Pc-Mobile
    Can you contact me on icq 87272920
    Do these China Mobile SIMs have international roaming activated? If no, than this is normal that they can't register in the foreign network.
    Would like to hear the root cause of this problem since I am planning to do the same (getting a Chinese SIM on Orange phone).
    Well, I just arrived here in Shanghai. Popped in my China Mobile SIM card and everything works fine! The Treo says "CMCC" in the upper left corner of the display and I have been able to call out and recive calls.

Going to activate GPRS this weekend so I'll report how that works.

The one thing to note here is that my Treo is a Cingular branded treo. I got it direct from Handspring in the US but when you boot the phone, it has the Cingular splash screen.

Given the data presented so far in this thread, it would appear this might be a problem unique to the Orange branded Treo.
    Update on China SIM situation, I just tried another SIM (all the companies eventually end up being China Mobile anyway). works fine. This one says "CT-GSM" in the top left display instead of "CMCC". I also activated GPRS on this and it works fine! Little slower to US websites, but I can get my email and IM just fine.

So again, either it's a problem with the Orange UK unlocked Treo or those SIM's that PC-Mobile tried were really old.

FYI, the SIM's I used were purchased 2 months and 6 months ago...

So if you've got a Cingular Treo from the US, then it'll work fine here in China!
    I'm just taking an uneducated guess.
    I saw this post a couple of weeks ago and then was reading my Treo manual that was talking about compatibility with SIM cards.
    It said that the Treo is compatible with 3 volt cards but not older 5 volt cards (it is possible I have reversed them since I don't have my manual in front of me).
    So, I thought that maybe this could be the problem.
    Just a shot in the dark.