1.    #1  
    Question - certain programs (like Snapper Mail) give you the option to disconnect from Vision once the mail pull is complete. My question is this - why would you do this? The only reason I can come up with is that it saves some battery power. IF this is the case, I'll set mine to disco as well. Part two of this is if I DO disconnect, will programs like SMS and Verichat still receive messages?

Thx!
    Originally posted by ksmith80209
    Question - certain programs (like Snapper Mail) give you the option to disconnect from Vision once the mail pull is complete. My question is this - why would you do this? The only reason I can come up with is that it saves some battery power. IF this is the case, I'll set mine to disco as well. Part two of this is if I DO disconnect, will programs like SMS and Verichat still receive messages?

Thx!
    Some applications can cause an idle connection to go hot for what seems like no reason. So it can use battery life, cause you to miss calls, and if you don't have unlimited Vision, cost you more money than you need. Depending on your use, it could make sense to disconnect when you're not actively using Vision. When disconnected, SMS and Verichat will work. For Verichat, you'll get the initial message. If you want to respond, it'll connect you with Vision. Same with SMS, when a notification comes in, it'll connect to Vision to retrieve the message.
    Snappermail was not only written fro the Treo600 with unlimited data. It works on limited data plans and other devices like the Treo 300, for example.

When I was using a Treo 300, the battery power drained quickly due to a network-power-drain bug which kept the network busy while, as far as I knew, the network was supposed to be idle. Because of this, it was convenient to have the network disconnected after I was finished with it.

The Treo600 has a great battery, which you and I take for granted now, but for many users out there, this is an appreciated feature of SnapperMail.
    I don't ever disconnect, unless the network hops me off for some reason. With the 600 (as compared to my 300), I've found the connection much more solid, and I've also found that I'm missing far fewer calls - on the 300, I'd find my data connection 'hot' more often than I have on the 600, and calls that might have missed me on the 300 are coming through on the 600.

So - unless you don't have Unlimited Data, I'd say leave the data connection active all the time.
    The simple answer is, "Yes, data (Vision) uses up batteries." But this entirely misses the point, IMO.

The absolute beauty of the Treo 600 is in being always connected. Yes, the battery will last fewer hours, but that's what the charger is for. Daily charging is good for the soul, like a good night's sleep.

To say that a battery drain makes it undesirable to use Vision would be like saying that mortgage payments make it undesirable to own a house. If having near-instant access to friends and associates (IM and email) and the internet is important to you, the battery considerations are really moot.

Rage against the Disconnect!

Marc