I've been a Handspring fan and customer from their beginning. I bought the Visor because it was better than my Palm Pilot with its Springboard expansion slot. Later I upgraded again to the Visor Prism because I wanted color and was very pleased with the Visor Prism.

I take issues with Handspring starting with my next upgrade to the Treo 300. There is so much I love about the T300, best of all the built-in keyboard and eliminating the need to carry a separate cell phone. However, the T300 fell short of being a four-star Palm PDA for me because the screen colors were not as good as that of the Prism (not as many colors) and the product looked and felt like a happy meal toy compared to other PDA's and especially cell phones.

Now I'm looking at a Treo 600 that I'm evaluating for my company. Once again there is so much to like about this new Handspring product, but once again it falls below a four star rating.

My biggest beef about the T600 is the 160x160 resolution. Just when every entry from Palm and Sony is now hi-res, the T600 with its low-res screen is a teaser that comes up just short.

It is frustrating that Handspring seems to always raise the bar with introductions of its new devices that always have one or two major flaws to keep them from being top-notch products.

So now we come to the end of the line for Handspring with the Palm merger. Will the next new product be flawless? That, obviously, will remain to be seen. In the meantime, the Handspring legacy will be innovative products that are just short!
    Did you say evaluating for your company? What do you want hi-res for then? So your people can waste time watching movies or playing games? Forget hi-res and look at the trade off...FOUR HOURS of talk time! I've had my T600 for about a month now and that is a pretty damn accurate assesment of how long I can talk (or surf). I guess it's all relative to what you need ,but no one on this board has come up with a productivity issue caused by the lack of hi-res. At least not on any of the threads I've read. If you have a legitimate NEED for it then tell me what it is and I will humbly apologize.
    Originally posted by DrDoom
    I guess it's all relative to what you need, but no one on this board has come up with a productivity issue caused by the lack of hi-res.
    I want the hi-res so I can fit more of a document on the small screen in a smaller font. It's a productivity issue for me, although better games would be nice too.

I understand decision Handspring made with the tradeoffs between hi-res vs. battery life. Too bad we weren't given the choice between two T600's: hi battery or hi res.
    If you are evaluating smartphones for your company you for SURE will want to verify that a built-in camera passes your company's security regulations.

-- http://www.brighthand.com/article/Sm...ite=SmartPhone
    Originally posted by risk
    I've been a Handspring fan and customer from their beginning. I bought the Visor because it was better than my Palm Pilot with its Springboard expansion slot. Later I upgraded again to the Visor Prism because I wanted color and was very pleased with the Visor Prism.

I take issues with Handspring starting with my next upgrade to the Treo 300. There is so much I love about the T300, best of all the built-in keyboard and eliminating the need to carry a separate cell phone. However, the T300 fell short of being a four-star Palm PDA for me because the screen colors were not as good as that of the Prism (not as many colors) and the product looked and felt like a happy meal toy compared to other PDA's and especially cell phones.

Now I'm looking at a Treo 600 that I'm evaluating for my company. Once again there is so much to like about this new Handspring product, but once again it falls below a four star rating.

My biggest beef about the T600 is the 160x160 resolution. Just when every entry from Palm and Sony is now hi-res, the T600 with its low-res screen is a teaser that comes up just short.

It is frustrating that Handspring seems to always raise the bar with introductions of its new devices that always have one or two major flaws to keep them from being top-notch products.

So now we come to the end of the line for Handspring with the Palm merger. Will the next new product be flawless? That, obviously, will remain to be seen. In the meantime, the Handspring legacy will be innovative products that are just short!
    Personally, I look forward to the day that Palm and it's Handspring adoptee drops dead, corporately speaking.

Truth be told, after the creation of the basic Palm operating system, they've not done much else to write home about. Yeah, they did a nice job with the second generation Palm V (at the time). But everything since then has been HUGELY ho-hum.

While the HS guys who ran off the Palm reservation were more creative, you have to ask yourself how business savvy they were.

The springboard module was touted as amazing. To me, I always thought it was weak. Anyone with half a brain had to see that memory expansion was the real play - once you did that, you could put ANYTHING on a card. HS combined shortlived hardware with hardcoded software. Not smart.

Yes, you have to say that they were creative with the Treo line. But once again, they have severe limitations. These people thing large, but not big. Maybe too large for their pocketbook?

The 180/270/300, for all there allure had severe weaknesses. The units were not well manufactured - I had two covers break on me. Constant freezes. Low res screen. No voice recognition, or recording. Lousy media playback. Stale Palm OS. Heck, the first 270 didn't even do GPRS when it was launched.

The new Treo - which I picked up yesterday from a Cingular store - looks like more of the same. I will let you know how it compares to my new P900 (picked up when I got tired of waiting for the 600 and which I love).

But again, the screen is lousy. There is no voice. The keyboard is small and my first instinct is that it is too cramped, but I'll be running it through it's paces all day.

The unit seems more solid than the 270, although I wonder how much of that comes from the fact that the basic design no longer has a cover. I will tell you this. While the specs of the p900 and the 600 camera may be similar, the pictures are clearly not. I've taken the same picture at the same time with both cameras and ported them to the same desktop. No comparison - 600 loses BIG TIME.

Yes, I know that you all will point to the absence of a thumboard on the p900. It was, in fact, something that made me pause in my purchase of the p900 (I got it for $650 with a new contract). Yet, I will tell you this - within a couple of days, I learned that the T9 input can be extremely fast - I typed a 30 word SMS on both my blackberry and the p900. The p900 was done within 15 seconds of the bberry input.

Bottom line - I look forward to the day these idiots disappear forever.

They are inept and they cut corners. And they treat end users like scrap.
    I'm torn on this topic. I absolutely love my T600, but I find myself wishing it had the Hi-Res and I'm not sure whether to believe that the talk time compared to screen resolution is totally legitimate or not...I've read so many arguments about that. If it were true, than I'd be in favor of the trade-off in order to keep the longer battery time...for now.

Do I "NEED" Hi-Res for my normal day to day use? Not really. But, just like color is nicer than B&W (and one could argue not necessary for day to day use either), Hi-Res is nicer than Lo-Res.

The thing is, I would so much more enjoy my T600 with a Hi-Res Screen. For one, I would certainly be spending more money on software. I was going to buy Splash Photo, but didn't since the pictures displayed on the T600 are not high quality enough that I generally feel like showing them to anyone. (I'm referring to any pictures, not necessarily those taken with the T600). I'd also like to buy some game titles, but since they don't look so great on T600, I don't buy them either. Although these are not productivity issues, they do restrict what I do with the phone and what I might potentially "spend" on it.

As far as productivity goes though, I think my lack of usage Documents to Go falls into that category. I was also going to upgrade my Documents to Go, but since I still can't read Powerpoint slide text without zooming in and having to use the stylus to move the slide around, I haven't bothered. It would be so much more useful to see a whole slide without zooming it and be able to read it. I have several Powerpoints that I would have liked to view on my T600, but due to the restrictions I already mentioned, I don't bother to use this program. It's fine with Excel and Word, but in my case, something I would really find beneficial, is not.

Also, I would like Hi-Res so that I could actually read all the print when I go to a web page.

Bottom line for me though is that I still love this phone and I accept it for what it is. For now, I will do my best to keep my T600 in good condition so I can unload it when the next generation becomes available....since I'm sure that with Palm in the picture, the next one will be Hi-Res.
    So Zipmitz,

Are you with T-Mobile? If so, have you seen any issues with the T-600 on it?

Also, you said you picked up the T-600 from Cingular (I'm guessing for $599) and the P900 for $650 (plus contract). Why spend so much money on two phones?

Also, remember to compare the price difference of the two phones when you are comparing the devices. I'm getting the T600 for $399 with no contract. The P900 is over 60% more expensive that my price on the T600, plus you need to sign a contract.

PS: with all the issues you have with Handspring/Palm, I can't believe you actually gave them your money.
    While it would be great to have the high-res screen, a better camera, voice recording, etc., it's still a remarkable device that beats all others in the balance of features, including the size, the keyboard, the screen brightness (more important than high rez, imo), and the sd expansion slot. Add to that the thoughtful integration of the phone and pda, much improved build quality, and toy camera, and you have something special. I use all the functions often, but mostly the pda, email, and the phone-- there's no serious competition yet with this form factor that I've seen. ( I am embarassed to say how many hours a day I use the thing.)
    Originally posted by MobileGuy
    While it would be great to have the high-res screen, a better camera, voice recording, etc., it's still a remarkable device that beats all others in the balance of features, including the size, the keyboard, the screen brightness (more important than high rez, imo), and the sd expansion slot. Add to that the thoughtful integration of the phone and pda, much improved build quality, and toy camera, and you have something special. I use all the functions often, but mostly the pda, email, and the phone-- there's no serious competition yet with this form factor that I've seen. ( I am embarassed to say how many hours a day I use the thing.)
    I totally agree. I did have a separate PDA before my T300 and I didn't use it nearly as much as I do now. I hate carrying multiple devices and love the T600 mostly for that reason. I really don't have any complaints at all about the T600...it is what it is. Yes, there are things I would like to see eventually improved, but that's about it. And at least for now, I don't see anything else that can come close the features and functionality of the T600.
    I'm torn as well. Just received a cdma t6 and set it up for my girlfriend and that thing is ill.

I'm a gsm user and this waiting is vexing. I have an order placed with HS, but I have no idea when it will ship. I saw a video about this Sierra Wireless smartphone on Zdnet. I did a little research on it and its an interesting option. Bigger screen, removable battery, faster processor, its M$, but I've seen good integration of audio/video on their platforms. No bluetooth, but it has SDIO/MMC, voice recording, no camera which is almost a plus for me, great outlook e-mail synch, the hinge of the keyboard looks suspect (I'm still salty about the T180's JV not ready for prime-time build quality)

You do lose Palm's 3rd party versatility but if I could get the functionality of pdanet/wirelessmodem and maybe a few other robust palm appz I'd be happy. If I had to live without upirc or Nesem I suppose I could.

Does anyone here know anything about Windows Mobile (more specifically - bluetooth sdio drivers, connecting internet to laptop?

another link to the Sierra phone:

voq
    Note that the Senior VP for Handheld Devices (Wirt) at palmOne for SURE is a fan of SEPARATE devices linked together with, for example, BlueTooth or Wi-Fi. His stance was unambiguous in the Analyst Day presentation recently given by palmOne in NYC. the audio/video (slides) presetnation is still available from palmOne's web site.
    sprinttreouser makes a good point. If Handspring was so worried about battery time v. high resolution, or just battery time at all, they could have made a gray scale screen instead of color. Why didn't they? Because no one would have bought one! We (the user community) simply aren't at the point yet where low-res is completely unacceptable. It is acceptible, and we're buying it. I love my Treo, and I'm willing to deal with low-res in order to get the form-factor, portability, and other "pluses" that come with the 600. That's why I didn't purchase one of the other high-res solutions (i700, etc.) like those with the Symbian or Windoze OS's. Frankly, I think those look completely superior to even the high-res Palm OS, but I simply couldn't deal with that huge-*** Hitachi or other large convergence device.

Jonathan
    Yah, I finally saw that Hitachi at CompUsa a few days ago. I can't believe how big it was! You could use that thing as a dinner tray!
    W.r.t. Windows, Symbian, Linux, and PalmOS - remember that palmOne no longer is "restricted" to palmOS since they spun-off their palmOS division as a separate company and, since they need to make money any way they can, are quite likely to introduce Windows devices minimally, IMHO.
    Originally posted by heberman
    So Zipmitz,

Are you with T-Mobile? If so, have you seen any issues with the T-600 on it?

Also, you said you picked up the T-600 from Cingular (I'm guessing for $599) and the P900 for $650 (plus contract). Why spend so much money on two phones?

Also, remember to compare the price difference of the two phones when you are comparing the devices. I'm getting the T600 for $399 with no contract. The P900 is over 60% more expensive that my price on the T600, plus you need to sign a contract.

PS: with all the issues you have with Handspring/Palm, I can't believe you actually gave them your money.
    Yes, I gave them my money. Like I said elsewhere, I hate my mother in law, but I love her daughter and she makes a mean roast chicken....

You guess right on the Cingular deal. $600. I figure that I will keep one of the two phones and put the other up on EBay. FYI, unlocked P900s are selling for north of $800 on EBay. And with the short supply coming out of an inept HS, I figure I can get most of my money back for the T600. I actually could have waited for the $399 deal to come, but truth be told, I needed a new phone with PDA features and have already waited far too long due to HS lies and deceit. I expected to be up and running a MONTH ago. Since I will get most if not all of my money back anyways, the $399 or $599 is not such a big deal.

I also have an expired contract for one of my other phones. So signing up a new one with LNP coming around is not such a cost to me either.

I used my T-Mo sim in t he Cingular unit. NO PROBLEMS.

While I haven't made up my mind, my inclination is to lean towards the P900.

I have to tell you - the fit and finish is way better. We are talking like the difference between a Buick and a Benz.

The features on the Treo be-speak a company that is on the balls of its *** and that is why they cut corners. It is why you have a lousy screen and a lousy camera.

I tell you this - the difference between the two screens is like the difference between kinescopes and videotape. The Sony is WAY better, it has 65K colors, it is bigger and much more robust in the software support.

I am not put off by the lack of a thumb board. Truth be told, the T9 data entry compares wonderfully to the Treo for one handed quick messages - the overwhelming proportion of what users do.

Further, I find that I make MORE mistakes with Treo given the shrunken keyboard, even with domed keys.

So there you go - I've worked with T9 for a week, qwerty for a life time and the comparison of the iterations of both in these devices comes out in favor of the Sony T9.

There is only one thing that would make me consider the Treo as the primary go to device as between the two. An investment in Palm OS software. Which I have NOT made.