1.    #1  
    Am I missing something here. Does the ringer off switch do anything other than cut sound to the main speaker??

Cheers
    Gabriel
    NO, that is all it does. AInt that a great way to do it!!
    You see the others that do all this "high tech" stuff and you have to sit in the meeting with your peers, go thru all the menu options (all the while making beeping noises) to finialy turn off the speaker, only to find that it only works for certian apps.

Not the Treo....easy off, easy on and it's off when it's off. What a great idea...put a switch in line with the speaker!!!!!

I have always loved that way of thining on the treo...somethings don't need to be high tech or improved ....LOL..

just my 2-cents worth, matt
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by Burkhardi
    NO, that is all it does. AInt that a great way to do it!!
    You see the others that do all this "high tech" stuff and you have to sit in the meeting with your peers, go thru all the menu options (all the while making beeping noises) to finialy turn off the speaker, only to find that it only works for certian apps.

Not the Treo....easy off, easy on and it's off when it's off. What a great idea...put a switch in line with the speaker!!!!!

I have always loved that way of thining on the treo...somethings don't need to be high tech or improved ....LOL..

just my 2-cents worth, matt
    I don't mind having a hardware switch, but it would be nice if the software was aware of its orientation e.g. turning off the ringer activates vibrate (if you wish).

last night I spent a few nervous minutes wondering what happened to Pocket Tunes, and even did a reset before realising that the speaker was switched off, I couldn't image that it could be something as basic as that.

Gabriel
    Originally posted by Jumbawamba
    I don't mind having a hardware switch, but it would be nice if the software was aware of its orientation e.g. turning off the ringer activates vibrate (if you wish).

last night I spent a few nervous minutes wondering what happened to Pocket Tunes, and even did a reset before realising that the speaker was switched off, I couldn't image that it could be something as basic as that.
    Gabriel
    When you flip the switch to no sound, then it does activate the vibrate function for phone calls, e-mail, SMS, and Calendar alarms if you have it set under Sound Prefs. For each of these items in sound prefs their is an option to have the vibrate On/Off when the "Sound Mode Off" (switch) is enabled. So the software is well aware what the switch is set too and activates the vibrate feature accordingly. If a software vendor wanted to, I am sure that they could have their software use the vibrate to if the switch is off, but this would be a Treo specific feature.
    I think the software may be aware (per se) in some areas. Is there not a Vibrate when Silent option in the "prefs" app?In the "sound" setup, under "phone" where is says "sound Mode Off" and there is a choice for Vibrate "on" or "off" . I'll have to look..

So it guess this low tech systme does more then jus turn off th espeaker, it also may send a signal or line null or change of state, to a pin of the CPU too?

Just for the record, I had the same issue w/ pocket tunes and the hard button for the speaker too. It bit me in the **** once, and now I have learned my lesson. I felt pretty silly when I clicked too it...

THanks for your candor. Most people would not admit such a silly thing as you and I did LOL....
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for clearing that up guys.. I thought it was simply an inline switch for the main speaker.

Gabriel