1.    #1  
    After hounding Cingular for over a week before they finally started taking orders, I called at 6am Monday morning (11/10) and placed mine. The salesperson told me that it would ship within a day and that I would have it by Wednesday or Thursday. When I didn't get a tracking number by Wednesday morning, I started calling. I got multiple responses, from "its shipping tonight" to "I can't find your order" to "Oh, its sitting on the dock ready to go out, call tomorrow." Now I'm told that the phone is on backorder, and that they sold out all of their stock...even though I was one of the first orders in and was told they had them! Aaargh. I'm supposed to call back next Tuesday (!) to see if they've gotten any more in to ship. Meanwhile, my credit card has been charged, and I'm leaving town tomorrow Treo-less.

I guess I'll need to learn just a little more patience. I wish they had just told me at the time of my order that a backorder was possible, not promised something they couldn't deliver.
    Any company that charges your card before shipping is shady in my book.
    If you think you're frustrated now, just wait until you see how poor Cingular's coverage is in the bay area!
  4.    #4  
    I've been with Cingular already for about 5 years now. I'm actually okay with their coverage. For every dark zone I hit, I find an area that I get a signal in that none of my colleagues can. I feel like all the Cellular providers tend to bounce back and forth as to who offers the best coverage at any given time. Its like trying to jockey for the best long distance rates...you may save a little money, but it costs you time and a lot of stress.

That said, once number portability becomes a reality (and I don't expect that to become a simple process for at least 6 months)...I may look into switching. Then again, I've just re-upped for another 2 years...
    Well good luck with getting your Treo.

I've always been attracted by the plusses of GSM, namely the ability to use (almost) any world phone by simply switching SIM cards, but I'm not ready to switch just yet. I'm satisfied with Sprint's overall package, but who knows what will happen in the future.
    I am in the bay area and I love GSM. I was with GTE/Verizon for about 3 years. Then I was a ATT/TDMA customer for 8. I switched to Tmobile back in march and I am very glad I did.

GSM phones dont have the analog option to get service in the boonies.. but everywhere else it seems I have better coverage. The batteries last longer on these phones too!

Doesnt hurt that I was paying $400-$700 a month with ATT and now I pay a flat fee of $200 a month for twice the minues.

In addition the tmobile customer service is the best bar none. I am really glad I switched.
    Originally posted by farzonalmaneih
    I am in the bay area and I love GSM. I was with GTE/Verizon for about 3 years. Then I was a ATT/TDMA customer for 8. I switched to Tmobile back in march and I am very glad I did.

GSM phones dont have the analog option to get service in the boonies.. but everywhere else it seems I have better coverage. The batteries last longer on these phones too!

Doesnt hurt that I was paying $400-$700 a month with ATT and now I pay a flat fee of $200 a month for twice the minues.

In addition the tmobile customer service is the best bar none. I am really glad I switched.
    Interesting. I've never heard such praise about T-mobile before.

With Sprint I get great service pretty much everywhere (except places like Point Reyes ). On Cingular my co-workers can't get a signal in our office, so a couple of them have switched to Sprint. I don't know anyone with T-mobile but I haven't heard good things except for you.
    I have had exactly the same experience with Cingular. The only difference is that they do not seem to be able to determine the status of my order. "System problems." The thing that amazes me is that sales cannot call shipping. It must all be done via email with a response time to inquires of about 24 hours. System problems indeed. It's the Three Stooges build an order/fulfillment system. Actually, that is an unfair slam on the Stooges.

I was also first on the reserved list for the phone at my local Cingular store. They've had two come in and sold them to walk-ins.

My only good news is that I have Cingular service without a contract. Once I do receive the phone, I'll be cancelling my service and popping another company's SIM card in. I have a 2000 minute per month plan and use a fair amount of data. The lose of my business won't cripple them, but I will be interested to see how many of their high minute users switch after the 24th.
    Ow. I forgot to mention that I have 2 phones (my wife and I). Each one of them is 5000 minutes nationwide with no longdistance or roaming. My point is, we are HEAVY phone users. 95% of my calling is in the bay area. Because I am a consultant I travel all around the bayarea as well.

I have seen other people get poor service here in the bay area (friends). What I have found is its the phone they have. When I poped their SIM into my phone they had coverage.
  10.    #10  
    Update:

I just got a call from my cingular sales rep, Desiree (on a sunday, no less...at least I'll give her some credit there.) According to her computer, they have -4 Treo 600s (that's NEGATIVE 4) in stock. She tells me that they don't expect any new stock till at least Friday (!) now. Double Hrmph. She confirmed that yes, my credit card had been charged. Aside from pulling my order and starting over, I'm not sure what recourse I have. I guess its the price I have to pay for being on the cutting edge.