1.    #1  
    After you get the adapter plug du jour from Handspring or Radio Shack, you might want to play it a bit louder.
    There is a neat little product from Radio Shack that will do this nicely and let you plug in two others as well.

This rare product is Radio Shack 33-1109 "3-Channel Headphone Volume Booster". I think it was $22 or so.

This will satisfy anybody. Warning put p-tunes on its LOWEST VOLUME Setting.
    It is about 4 inches long and 1/2 wide and 1/2 thick and runs on 2 AAs. You can see it at

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=33%2D1109

I also used it with full sisized AIWA headphones and it played wonderfully, again at the lowest setting.

Toss you Ipods to the Ebay wolves,,,,,,,,,,,
    JON
    The Radio Shack adapter doesn't work in the first place!
  3.    #3  
    Beggin' yo pahdon unpopulah but-----
    The radio shack adapter works perfectly well. I am using it. I have used it for a month. Many people trim this slightly to make it get close enough to the case to be in good contact.

but you are definitely mistaken,,,,,,,
    JON
    Originally posted by jhaglund
    Beggin' yo pahdon unpopulah but-----
    The radio shack adapter works perfectly well. I am using it. I have used it for a month. Many people trim this slightly to make it get close enough to the case to be in good contact.

but you are definitely mistaken,,,,,,,
    What is the model number of the adapter you bought?
  5.    #5  
    I don't have the product number anymore. I think it was Cat # 274-397 as the picture matches exactly.

BUt here are only two candidates at Radio Shack because it is a subminiature plug. It has two bands, three sections and the pin is 12MM long. My Radio Shack guru put his hand on it in about two seconds.
    It is best to trim back 2MM of the plastic insulation as others have reported. It will then go in far enough to guarantee a good connection. If you don't trim it, it may jiggle and make a poor connect.
    Adapters are at:
    http://www.radioshack.com/category.a...1%5F001&Page=2
    JON
    Originally posted by jhaglund
    I don't have the product number anymore. I think it was Cat # 274-397 as the picture matches exactly.

BUt here are only two candidates at Radio Shack because it is a subminiature plug. It has two bands, three sections and the pin is 12MM long. My Radio Shack guru put his hand on it in about two seconds.
    It is best to trim back 2MM of the plastic insulation as others have reported. It will then go in far enough to guarantee a good connection. If you don't trim it, it may jiggle and make a poor connect.
    Adapters are at:
    http://www.radioshack.com/category.a...1%5F001&Page=2
    OK, I just went to Radio Shack and returned the one I got today that didn't work, for a new one which does work. At first it required me to press in on it pretty hard in order to get sound, but I just cut away a layer of the plastic on the adapter, now it fits in nice and snug.

The model number of the one I got is 274-373. The one I returned is 274-381. It was all-metal which explains why it wouldn't budge.
    Last edited by Im So Unpopular; 11/13/2003 at 07:44 PM.
  7.    #7  
    Great. This is what is so cool about forums for early adopters.
    Thanks for providing the correct RS cat #

Did you happen to ask about the amplifier? I think this thread was about that.......It keeps all that messy power away from the itty bitty Treo.

Also for any e-power gurus out there-------does this external amplifier reduce the treo power consumption much by allowing the Treo to run at minimal amplification itself?????
    JON