1.    #1  
    Hey all..

Does anyone know how to disable the screen backlight while on a call? I find it very annoying pressed up to my face, and also while using the treo in the car during the night. Not to mention the power savings by turning it off.

I've searched the manual as well as searching all the menus, etc., and can't seem to find it.

-Andrew
    Originally posted by andrewket
    Hey all..

Does anyone know how to disable the screen backlight while on a call? I find it very annoying pressed up to my face, and also while using the treo in the car during the night. Not to mention the power savings by turning it off.

I've searched the manual as well as searching all the menus, etc., and can't seem to find it.

-Andrew
    1) Get Sandman or Off-it. Those programs will do it. Google for them.
    2) You MUST have system sounds enabled in order for it to work.
    Try searching here. Lots of info on this.
    Sandman is by the same place as chatter:
    www.imchatter.com

and it's freeware...
    I use Sandman.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I have installed Sandman, but seem I have to manually run the Application while I am on the call. It won't activate by itself whenever I am on a call.

Is that how it works?
    Palm III -> Revo -> Palm V -> Clie 760 -> Clie T650C -> SE P800 -> Treo 600 -> Clie UX50 -> The Dark Side -> Treo 650 -> Nokia E61 -> Treo 680
    Originally posted by nomadmy
    I have installed Sandman, but seem I have to manually run the Application while I am on the call. It won't activate by itself whenever I am on a call.

Is that how it works?
    Yes, that is how it works. It will not activate automatically.
    Guys

Add Off-it or Sandman to your Favourites page as an application, and assign a speed dial key. When you answer your call, just hold down whichever key you assigned and the screen will be turned off.

--
    Sideshowbob
  9.    #9  
    Thanks to all.

This is much better!

-A
    I just wanted to let everyone know that TealLaunch turns off the screen while on a call perfectly. I had problems with Sandman & Offit.
    I tried Sandman but when I activate it, it stops the call and I can't hear anything. If I hit the phone button to get back to call screen, I can hear again. Anyone else have that problem?
    Originally posted by trauta
    I just wanted to let everyone know that TealLaunch turns off the screen while on a call perfectly. I had problems with Sandman & Offit.
    Automatically? Or with manual key presses?
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Im So Unpopular

1) Get Sandman or Off-it. Those programs will do it. Google for them.
    2) You MUST have system sounds enabled in order for it to work.
    1. Installed.. assigned to hotkey, ran during phone call..
    No sound..

2. Did that. Tried Medium.. tried High.. tried Off..
    No sound as soon as Sandman runs.

What's the fix? As far as I can tell, all this thing does is turn the Treo *off* without disconnecting the call.

ian
    Originally posted by Daemon

1. Installed.. assigned to hotkey, ran during phone call..
    No sound..

2. Did that. Tried Medium.. tried High.. tried Off..
    No sound as soon as Sandman runs.

What's the fix? As far as I can tell, all this thing does is turn the Treo *off* without disconnecting the call.

ian
    Same here with both Off-it and Sandman. It turns off the sound too.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Found 4 pages worth of people going through all the same debugging in this thread.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...90225f2c5.html

Here's my summary..
    1. Sandman is a bit more reliable than Off-it
    2. Can *NOT* be launched from favorites. Boo hiss..
    3. System sounds must be on for sandman to work.
    4. Must launch from some location other than the phone app..
    So if you're in a call, you have to leave phone app and go to something like Calendar (call continues), and either assign it to launch from one of the hard buttons (like option-Phone), or go to Home, and type S to get to Sandman and launch it from there.
    5. One final caveate.. if you launch it from the main app list, you must use the center key in the 5 way. Not enter or click.

Or.. you can install some other launcher to launch it. Still need to switch out of the phone app before you launch Sandman or Off-it though.

Whew.. what a PAIN..
    All of my buttons and option buttons are already assigned so this whole process is fairly inconvenient.

ian
    Originally posted by Daemon
    Found 4 pages worth of people going through all the same debugging in this thread.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...90225f2c5.html

Here's my summary..
    1. Sandman is a bit more reliable than Off-it
    2. Can *NOT* be launched from favorites. Boo hiss..
    3. System sounds must be on for sandman to work.
    4. Must launch from some location other than the phone app..
    So if you're in a call, you have to leave phone app and go to something like Calendar (call continues), and either assign it to launch from one of the hard buttons (like option-Phone), or go to Home, and type S to get to Sandman and launch it from there.
    5. One final caveate.. if you launch it from the main app list, you must use the center key in the 5 way. Not enter or click.

Or.. you can install some other launcher to launch it. Still need to switch out of the phone app before you launch Sandman or Off-it though.

Whew.. what a PAIN..
    All of my buttons and option buttons are already assigned so this whole process is fairly inconvenient.

ian
    It was the system sounds being off that was keeping it from working for me. However, I was able to launch it from the phone call itself. I programmed one of the hard keys with option key and it shut the screen off while keeping sound on. A press of the phone key turned the screen back on. It's not terribly inconvenient. I just wish it didn't take one of the hard keys to use it. I miss TreoButton which let you use the shift+hard button to get 4 more apps in there. I haven't been able to get that to work with the 600. Anyone have an alternative?
    I use Sandman and I love it. I had none of the problems nor debugging that daemon listed.

System Sound, under Prefs/General does have to be on.

I assigned Sandman to the Opt+Calendar button. I start a call (and wait until it rings - the screen changes from "dialing" to "active") hit Opt+Calendar and I'm in business.

The only changes I would suggest would be to leave the number pad, 5-way and 3 other application buttons active, (with the screen off).

just my .02.
    Originally posted by finn
    I assigned Sandman to the Opt+Calendar button. I start a call (and wait until it rings - the screen changes from "dialing" to "active") hit Opt+Calendar and I'm in business.
    That's exactly how I set it up and it works great! Besides, who needs city time anyway when you have clockpop!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Am I missing something obvious? Why not just assign Sandman to the screen button?

All the screen button does for me when normally mapped to "power" is turn off the device from any app EXCEPT phone.

With Sandman mapped to the power button it is turning off the screen just fine during calls. In PocketTunes, the songs keep playing. In Blazer, it seems to actually do a power off because when I press the actual power button the screen comes on and Blazer starts downloading the page or redrawing it from scratch.