1.    #1  
    Does anyone know of other shortcut keys on the Treo600 to use for web browsing other than 0-9. I'm developing my Treo website (www.treo.zerobits.com) and I want to keep it stylus free. I've tried other alpha characters, but it didn't work.
    Thanks

www.treobits.com
    Treo 600 friendly website with Ringtones, Shoutcast Feeds and more...
    Do you mean besides the bookmarks?
    I know it's three steps but I do it with out even thinking now. I hit left on the 5-way(web), menu button, Bookmarks view and then hit the bookmark.
    I did a lot of research on this subject both at the handspring dev site and by looking at http 1.1 specs.

The bottom line is this..

The blazer browser is number key aware because the developers knew that every possible device it would run on should at least have a number pad but not necessarily dedicated alpha keys - therefore blazer on Treo only understands the number keys.

If you were using the accesskey tag in code for a pc browser like IE - the standard procedure is to call the ALT modifier key with/before the acesskey selection. This tells the browser that you intend to input an accesskey and almost any keyboard key is a possible candidate for accesskey assignment.

So... this thinking led me to believe it might be possible that maybe the Blazer browser would allow use of the alt key and potentially a wider range of access keys (i.e., te alpha keys) so I did some testing and no such luck. It's the number pad or nothing.

I have resigned myself to the fact that you can only ever have 10 possible menu choices if you intend to use the accesskey feature. To work around this issue, you simply have to use broad categories and sub pages with additional accesskey lists in order to provide a unified look and feel throughout a mobile site.

Good luck!
    Derek.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by speclcajun
    Do you mean besides the bookmarks?
    I know it's three steps but I do it with out even thinking now. I hit left on the 5-way(web), menu button, Bookmarks view and then hit the bookmark.
    Thanks, but no. I'm refering to the html code in the webpage that i.e. allows the user to press "1" on the key pad and the browser redirects to another link.

www.treobits.com
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by derek985
    I did a lot of research on this subject both at the handspring dev site and by looking at http 1.1 specs.

So... this thinking led me to believe it might be possible that maybe the Blazer browser would allow use of the alt key and potentially a wider range of access keys (i.e., te alpha keys) so I did some testing and no such luck. It's the number pad or nothing.
    Derek.
    Thanks Derek, This was the input I was looking for. I too have tried many different approaches to this issue, but havenít had any luck. Iím sure youíve seen my site by now, we should talk offline and work together in developing some script for the Treo600. I also have my own server at www.zerobits.com so space is not a problem. Let me know. webmaster@zerobits.com

www.treobits.com