1.    #1  
    Greetings Treo users!

I thought you folks who have been wishing for Directory Assistant to work on OS5 would like to know that it's coming soon!

I have redone the query parts to use generic NetLib and have an option to use "Treo Web" for maps and directions.

I have several folks testing and it looks like the major wrinkles are ironed out, so it should not be too long before I can release it. I'll post another message here just as soon as it's ready.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Thanks! Can't wait!!!
    RL,

That's great news! Please keep us informed.

Do you have any plans to do any other like apps for OS5/T600?

Thanks again for a great application!
    Ken
    WAHOOOOOOOOOOO!

This is the best news I've heard in a while! I was going absolutely nuts being able to use DA on my T600! Thanks for the update rlwhitt! I will be eagerly awaiting the release!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    It's worth $20 and you deserve money for your efforts.
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
    In my mind, Directory Assistant was hands-down, without-a-doubt the best, most valuable, and most used piece of software on my Treo 300, and probably one of the best pieces of *software* that I've used, period. I'll be blown away if it's still free, and absolutely happy to pay if it isn't. If you're interested in any more beta testers, I'd be honored, and can be reached at:

greenbrown at mac.com (replace at with @).

Can't Wait!!!
    Don't drop your phone in the toilet. Seriously.
    By all means - DA was one of the most-used apps on my 3000, and having to use the PDA-optimized version of 555-1212.com just doesn't cut it now (although having the phone numbers hot-linked in Blazer 3.0 IS nice).
    RL - please add me to the testing list!!!! I'll send a separate message, begging on my hands and knees....
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for all the interest folks!

As far as charging $$$ for this, I'd be afraid to since if 555-1212.com decides to pull the plug on the free site (which they certainly could, since PQAs are going away pretty much), I'd be left out in the cold with paid customers who couldn't use the app. And there really isn't another site I know of like this. VZ Superpages is biz only, etc.

As for other apps, I've done a minutes usage tracker that's just been released that does support the Treo line to some extent. Some of the fnacier features like SMS tracking and alerts are not supported. If you're interested in taking a look, try the Files section at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Minutes_PLUS_Support/ (my regular web site is all hosed up right now due to RoadRunner issues). I'm taking donations for Minutes PLUS, but be warned of the things that aren't supported with Treo - you may not deem it worth the bux (just trying to be honest here )
    VERY GOOD NEWS! I really miss not having this app! If 5551212.com goes away what about 411.com? Is that the same thing?
  10.    #10  
    It looks very close, except can't apparently search on Zip. But it's FAST! It's not stripped down for Palm use so there would be a lot of HTML to wade through, which might negate the fast response advantage. But it's an option, at least.

Originally posted by Cory J
    VERY GOOD NEWS! I really miss not having this app! If 5551212.com goes away what about 411.com? Is that the same thing?
    I'm new to Treos so can someone briefly explain what Directory Assistant is? Is it a PQA type app?

Based on the name I assume it's a phone directory app but how is it different than something like the whitepages.com web page?

Thanks for the help.
  12.    #12  
    It's not a PQA. The existing released version makes use of some of the HTML access services in the Web Clipping library, which does not exist on OS5 devices.

It is a phone dir app, based on the 555-1212.com palm PQA database (uses their server).

It extends the functions provided by that basic service by:

- allowing results to be saved in a database for later use, even multiple query results.
    - Dial any number from the results list
    - Copy a result to Address Book or clipboard
    - Map the location via link to MapQuest
    - Driving Directions via MapQuest from results, manually entered locations, or Address book entries
    - Database of commonly entered search strings for lookup.

Originally posted by webslappy
    I'm new to Treos so can someone briefly explain what Directory Assistant is? Is it a PQA type app?

Based on the name I assume it's a phone directory app but how is it different than something like the whitepages.com web page?

Thanks for the help.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    This news just made my day!!!!! DA was my favorite and most used app on my treo 300 as well. It saved my so much money because Sprints 411 service was so expensive, and the fact that I could then save the results in my address book was iceing on the cake.

Thank you so much for all your hard work, I can't express how happy and gratefull I am for the service you provide.
    here's the bottom line, webslappy:

What is Directory Assistant? one app you HAVE to have if you have a converged device. You might have been able to tell from the other posters above (yes, including me) who are VERY happy to now have this app working on the 600 -we had it on the prior devices, and all really missed it.
    That is an indicator that an app is truly valuable. Get it once it's out, and you'll know what we are all talking about.
  15. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I want to be on the list!!!!
    me 2 and thanks so much for all of your hard work! The dedication is truly appreciated, take care, Jay
  17.    #17  
    DA 2.0 is posted, see this new thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=41933