Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi everybody, new poster here.

I called about 5 Cingular stores yesterday and eventually found one with Treo in stock. Picked it up for $599 no contract and am using it right now with Tmobile. Works fine.. works great! so it IS unlocked. came in a Handspring box with a little Cingular sticker. I could have got $499 with a two year contract or $549 with one year. but after a $36 activation, I figured outright was easier. I can always go back in two weeks and return it and then resignup AND port my number, but I can see how a NON unlimited data plan could be dangerous with this thing. Its just so easy. so I think Ill stick with Tmo.. and may have to upgrade to the $20 plan.

I still have one on order with HS and my upgrade discount, but I got 2 weeks to return this if I need. I may cancel my HS Cing and preorder a Tmobile(someday) with the discount, and sell the Cingular when (if?) the Tmobile comes out.. who knows?!?

Initial impressions, it's great.. yeah, I REALLY wish it had a better screen, everybody does, but thats not a deal breaker for me. The size and ease of use are impressive. All palm apps need to utilized the 5 way, because no stylus is where its at. really, I hate having to pull that thing out.
    The keyboard takes some getting used to, Im coming from a Clie UX-50, so my fat fingers were spoiled, but it really works well, there are times when I thought I hit the wrong keys, but I actually got the right ones, so it takes some getting used to. It nice to surf the web on the go and not fret about battery life (like on my Clie UX50)
    Upon inserting a Tmobile SIM, everything hooked up with no problem, I even had the Tmobile GPRS defaults (VPN/Internet and T-zones) after a sync.
    Im surfing the web on Tzones, emailing and having loads of fun.
    The phone is pretty good too, voice quality is about as good as my T610 and signal reception seems to be a bit stronger.

As far as "Cingularized", the only thing I noticed was a big Cingular logo when you go in and out of Wirelss mode.. thats it!
    I can live with that.

Just thought Id post to calm the Tmobile-Cingulars orders, any question?
    Originally posted by billyb
    I still have one on order with HS and my upgrade discount, but I got 2 weeks to return this if I need. I may cancel my HS Cing and preorder a Tmobile(someday) with the discount, and sell the Cingular when (if?) the Tmobile comes out.. who knows?!?
    I'm thining of doing the same thing: pre-ordering the Cingular version then cancelling it and ordering T-Mobile if it becomes available before the Cingular one ships.

But... I hope Handspring will not mark my Treo 300's S/N as already used for the upgrade even after I cancel the Cingular order.
    Thanks. Can you post the settings for the Tmobile default connections? I'm not sure my SIM card will have them stored.
    this should be automatic from your sim.. If not will be downloaded from the network after time.
    Which store sold you the Treo 600? I tried a Cingular store in NY and they denied me...painful.
  6.    #6  
    I got it in Jersey... They told me it was special order only because they are going out faster than they come in. Call around.

I think the settings come from the software. I had to do a hard reset yesterday (Note to self - dont sync a Treo with backup data from a Clie UX-50) and after the hard reset the phone could not be used (even with the SIM card in) and once I synched the Network search appears and the Network settings were there.

BTW, my SIM is a 2 year old Voicestream SIM from before the days of GPRS, so I dont think its a SIM issue.

Bill
    This is great. But my worry about doing this is getting warranty repairs in case of a problem if you don't have service with Cingular. Same goes for buying it from HS, since HS refers you the carrier for service. Any thoughts?
    Originally posted by silverado
    This is great. But my worry about doing this is getting warranty repairs in case of a problem if you don't have service with Cingular. Same goes for buying it from HS, since HS refers you the carrier for service. Any thoughts?
    I have a 180 purchased through HS and my last 2 repairs (under warranty) were arranged/performed through Tmo. I expect that to be the same for the Cingular T600 that I ordered through HS.
    Originally posted by dspires

I have a 180 purchased through HS and my last 2 repairs (under warranty) were arranged/performed through Tmo. I expect that to be the same for the Cingular T600 that I ordered through HS.
    Which means if your phone has to be replaced PalmOne sends you to Cingular, who doesn't know who you are if you are using the phone with a T-Mo account. And if you call T-Mo, they say "sorry, but we don't carry that phone".

As much as I hate it, I am waiting for the official T-Mo release. BTW, I was in a T-Mo store today and got the line about "technical problems" causing the delay. When I told the guy that Cingular and ATT were already selling and delivering the units the guy was shocked and said he couldn't understand how, since he was being told there was a problem with the US GSM frequency band. Always another story!
  10.    #10  
    it looks like Cingular will only repair Cingular Treos and Tmobile will only repair Tmobile Treos.. makes sense.

So a Cingular Treo on the Tmobile network is SOL, cause Tmobile will not repair a Cingular Treo...guess I better be carefull or buy the $399 one from HS and limit my loss.

Would Tmobile repair an unlocked phone if you used it on their ntwork with a contract? Could you get Assurion to insure it if it's not direct from Tmo?

Who repairs the forthcoming Unlocked GSM phone? Handspring?

I think Ill cancel my Cingular HS order, wait for Tmobile to go out from Handspring, use my upgrade ($399 I hope) and sell my Cingular Treo on Ebay... I dont think I can bear returning my Cingular in two weeks and have nothing to replace it with...

Or I can hope this thing is built well and breaking it will not be an issue (... knocks on wood)

Bill
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Originally posted by boardoe

Which means if your phone has to be replaced PalmOne sends you to Cingular, who doesn't know who you are if you are using the phone with a T-Mo account. And if you call T-Mo, they say "sorry, but we don't carry that phone".

I doubt it (unless you phone them before the T-Mobile offer comes available). The last time I had to have my 270 replaced, I phoned Handspring, they did some troubleshooting, verified I needed a new phone and ASKED me who my carrier was an transferred me to Tmo.

Danita
    Yes, I was able to get a cingular one this morning from www.gsmphonesource.com. Charged it, put in T-Mobile sim, and I'm posting from it right now.
    If you purchase your unit from Handspring.. you BET they have to support it. If not, just return it.
    Originally posted by Danitaz

I doubt it (unless you phone them before the T-Mobile offer comes available). The last time I had to have my 270 replaced, I phoned Handspring, they did some troubleshooting, verified I needed a new phone and ASKED me who my carrier was an transferred me to Tmo.

Danita
    I agree with you, I have had the same experience, but I think the point of these questions concerns ordering a "Cingularized" unit before the T-Mo release. If the T-Mo release is only a week or so later, there should not be a problem. But if it is significantly delayed, I think this is something to consider.
    Just got off the phone with Handspring thinking that I (a T-Mobile user) would upgrade to the Cingular phone. The Palm-One rep said: "We are telling T-Mobile users that they can upgrade to the Cingular phone, but the phone will be slower than the T-Mobile version of the phone, and he would recommend waiting." He also told me that the T-Mobile phone will be available in "two to three weeks." Seems it is always two to three weeks away. Finally he assured me that when it is available, they will have the $399 upgrade for T-Mobile. I don't know if there is anything to the Cingular phone being slower when using the T-Mobile sim card, but it concerned me enough to continue to wait.
    I have 3 treo 270's. What I did is used one of the serial numbers for a Cingular unit (my phones are tmo). The other 2 I will purchase when the TMO offer is available. If the cingular one is a problem I will ship it back for a refund and buy another tmo.
    Originally posted by Sprinter
    But... I hope Handspring will not mark my Treo 300's S/N as already used for the upgrade even after I cancel the Cingular order.
    They do. My friend placed an upgrade order when the Sprint ones 1st came out and the card was denied for whatever reason. When he got everything straightned out he tried to place the order again (Handspring cancelled it) and it said that the serial number was no longer valid or something....
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    I'm trying a Cingular Treo 600 with T-Mobile right now too. Have you gotten the T-Zones (wap.myvoicestream.com) site to work in Blazer? I've tried with both the T-Zones and T-Mobile Internet network settings and I can't get this page to appear. Everything else seems to work OK though.

Originally posted by billyb
    Just thought Id post to calm the Tmobile-Cingulars orders, any question?
    wap.myvoicestream.com never worked on my Treo 270 either.
    Really? It used to work on my Treo 270, but I haven't tried it in awhile.

Originally posted by farzonalmaneih
    wap.myvoicestream.com never worked on my Treo 270 either.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast