Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Just picked up my Cingular unit in San Diego. Works fine TMobile.

I've read about this already, but it really does suck that the browser doesnt show the page until everything is loaded.

My first impressions of the form factor are mixed. I'm coming from a Blackberry 7230 which has a much more usable keyboard and feels very solidly built. And of course the oft mentioned ultra slick sides which seems like this thing will end up spending much of its time flying through the air.
    Originally posted by willp2
    Just picked up my Cingular unit in San Diego. Works fine TMobile.
    Where did you get it in San Diego? How much?

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Sprinter

Where did you get it in San Diego? How much?

Thanks.
    $599 at the corporate store in Mission Valley next to In and Out burger.

They only got two in and I got the first one so there was one left when I was there around 2:30. They said only corporate stores were getting them and usually only a couple units each.
  4.    #24  
    Just got off the phone with Handspring thinking that I (a T-Mobile user) would upgrade to the Cingular phone. The Palm-One rep said: "We are telling T-Mobile users that they can upgrade to the Cingular phone, but the phone will be slower than the T-Mobile version of the phone, and he would recommend waiting."
    Any idea why a Cingular phone would be slower? Or is that just marketing talk
    Originally posted by billyb

u know I thought i heard or read somewhere that some1 tested both the CDMA and the GSM versions of the Treo. They found it odd that even though TMo and Cingular operate on identical networks, the Cingular version was slower than TMo. Sprint was on top of course .
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
  6. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Originally posted by farzonalmaneih
    If you purchase your unit from Handspring.. you BET they have to support it. If not, just return it.
    Hah! I wish they'd support you if you have problems.

I've just been through four weeks of Handspring Hell with the Sprint Treo 600. Can't get the Vision service to work (infamous error 3000). Sprint is clueless, Handspring is clueless, and getting a replacement for this $500 device in a reasonable timeframe is impossible (I've been waiting a week, and it hasn't shipped yet). My Treo will go back for a refund tomorrow -- but note that they refuse to refund shipping (they call it |Buyers Remorse"... I call it "Screw Your Customers"). See this
    lengthy thread to get an idea of how nice Sprint and Handspring treat their customers if they have problems...

Good luck!

Oliver
  7. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Jaggrey
    u know I thought i heard or read somewhere that some1 tested both the CDMA and the GSM versions of the Treo. They found it odd that even though TMo and Cingular operate on identical networks, the Cingular version was slower than TMo. Sprint was on top of course .
    There's more to speed than just the underlying network technology (CDMA 1xRTT vs GSM/GPRS). Network latencies play a big role in many applications, and those are influenced by things like the number of firewalls and routers between you and the wide open internet. Plus, testing performance at different times will always give you slightly different results (because network usage and congestion varies), so testing TMo at one point in time and Cingular at another isn't really a reliable test unless you do *a lot* of those tests and average them out.

(I'm currently doing this for work, and I've been pumping a few hundred megabytes through Vision and other networks over the course of the last few weeks).

Oliver
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Originally posted by billyb

I did talk to a couple of people in senior management at HS and TMO sometime ago about the delays in shipping the product. The word I got was that TMobile was not happy with performance and they were tweaking the way it worked on the network.

At the time I more or less ignored the comment as just another excuse for the delay. Perhaps there is something to that?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12