1.    #1  
    I searched and searched but can't find the answer to the following question:

How do I make Blazer the default browser? I have 'Web' selected in Preferences for my browser, but certain apps like my RSS reader don't see it. They only see Eudora web and then when I delete Eudora it sees nothing.

Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? Thanks for your help.
  2.    #2  
    The RSS reader I am using is http://standalone.com/palmos/hand_rss/. I highly recommend product. You can actually go to the web site on your 600 and download and install the app directly. Very cool. The only problem seems to be the default browser, it just doesn't see Blazer. In contrast, even though Handspring is calling Blazer 'Web' in preferences, SnapperMail clearly sees 'Blazer' in it's browser preference.
  3.    #3  
    The RSS reader I am using is http://standalone.com/palmos/hand_rss/. I highly recommend product. You can actually go to the web site on your 600 and download and install the app directly. Very cool. The only problem seems to be the default browser, it just doesn't see Blazer. In contrast, even though Handspring is calling Blazer 'Web' in preferences, SnapperMail clearly sees 'Blazer' in it's browser preference.
    Originally posted by authentication
    Same problem here. Please submit this to them as a bug at their site (I just did).
    are there other RSS viewers that may not have the same problem?
    how can i download these feeds to my SD card? (hand rss)
    Handspring has published guidelines on how to do this in the dev support section of their website for developers. Other applications can make use of the linkage mecahnism in the prefs so that they know what the default web browser is - it is kind of like MIME types in Windows.
    Wow, very cool. Well, almost -- the way this program doesn't recognize Blazer is a bit of a bummer. Other than it sort of... well, not working, this seems like a very usefull and well made piece of software. -sigh- Perhaps someone should write to them to ask what the deal is and if there is any way to fix the situation. Heck, maybe I'll actually do it and finally contribute something useful to these boards. ...Perish the thought.
    Originally posted by treoZilla
    are there other RSS viewers that may not have the same problem?
    It doesn't seem like it. Apparently the deal with Hand/RSS is that it is a standalone RSS reader. You could get stuff that works with Plucker, it seems, but nothing that will ...what? I'm assuming that when they say "standalone" they mean that the reader displays the article headlines and descriptions rather than the browser. That's just a guess.
    Originally posted by snerdy
    Wow, very cool. Well, almost -- the way this program doesn't recognize Blazer is a bit of a bummer. Other than it sort of... well, not working, this seems like a very usefull and well made piece of software. -sigh- Perhaps someone should write to them to ask what the deal is and if there is any way to fix the situation. Heck, maybe I'll actually do it and finally contribute something useful to these boards. ...Perish the thought.

It doesn't seem like it. Apparently the deal with Hand/RSS is that it is a standalone RSS reader. You could get stuff that works with Plucker, it seems, but nothing that will ...what? I'm assuming that when they say "standalone" they mean that the reader displays the article headlines and descriptions rather than the browser. That's just a guess.
    Good idea (sending them email) ... I did that as well (see thread above). In the meantime, you can just install the free Eudora Web browser to have basic access to the newsreader article content.
  10.    #10  
    I emailed them and they sent me a new prc in about two hours, with the problem solved. Fantastic! This is an awesome product and I'm even more impressed by the service.
    I emailed them and they sent me a new prc in about two hours, with the problem solved. Fantastic! This is an awesome product and I'm even more impressed by the service.
    sweet so you can hit the link from your feed using blazer now??? i installed eudora to do this but that's kind of weak... can you please share the .prc w/ me (since it's free anyways??)
    That's interesting... I emailed them also... no response.. and nothing new on their website
    FYI - A review of Standalone Inc. Hand RSS news feed client software is here.
    yeah still no reply... using eudora in the meantime - which hasn't turned out too bad - it's so simple that it's BLAZING fast.
    yeah still no reply... using eudora in the meantime - which hasn't turned out too bad - it's so simple that it's BLAZING fast.
    Same here. two emails, one to report a bug and the other to the info address; no replies. I'm not impressed with their customer service.
    Originally posted by stuartr

Same here. two emails, one to report a bug and the other to the info address; no replies. I'm not impressed with their customer service.
    They finally emailed me back and included a new version (1.06) that recognized Blazer.
    Can someone post the 1.06 version?
    Originally posted by stuartr
    They finally emailed me back
    Yeah, me too. It took a little while, but I guess that's reasonable.

This does seem like a very cool little piece of software.
    how can i download these feeds to my SD card? (hand rss)
    Well, I know that if you use an offline viewer like Plucker, there are apps you can use like Jpluck that convert web sites and RSS feeds to Plucker documents for offline reading. Cool thing is both Plucker and Jpluck are FREEWARE!

P.S. Has only tried Ticker as an RSS reader?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  20. jah
    One thing to note about Hand/RSS from Standalone -

If you're looking on PalmGear today, you'll only see version 1.03 as the latest. But if you go to http://www.standalone.com/ you'll find they have v1.10 posted:
    v.1.10 - Current release version - released on December 9th, 2003. Additional support for 5-way navigator on Treo 600s, added a menu option to delete a subscription and issue, added cut/copy/paste support when editing a subscription.
    So it looks like they're committed to making their product work well on the Treo 600. Which is good news! Especially considering that this software costs $15.

(btw - http://mobile.links.net/ has an RSS feed @ http://mobile.links.net/index.xml )