Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by johnski1969
    wish a fix was that easy.. not so with sprint fw 1.12 .. upgrade was no help
    Same here. Any other GSM users having mroe success with the new firmware? Maybe dscomazzon just got lucky?

--TechDude
    mine worked beautifully after I got the 3.04 upgrade. When I went to 3.05 though, all of the PDANet problems I was experiencing returned.

I've tried desperately to go back, but the only way I've read to go back is using something called "backtotheroots.prc" or "backtoroots.prc" and I can't find it anywhere. If anyone can help me go back, I'd be glad to post whether going back to 3.04 will cure the issues for the GSM phones.
    Just thought I'd add another voice to the crowd. I too am having the periodic disconnect problems with my Sprint Treo 600 fw 1.2, PdaNet 2.52. The problems began while using fw 1.12, so I upgraded to fw 1.2 as sugggested on the troubleshooting page for PdaNet. No luck. If anything, the problem has intensified.

I've been trying to determine any rhyme or reason to these disconnects. As mentioned previously by another user, it seems that PdaNet is most likely to disconnect during heavy traffic. For instance, I regularly have several browser windows open, with each loading a web page simultaneously. Disconnects seem most likely under these conditions. Also, I was recently uploading a 1.5 MB file to a web server and experienced two disconnects during the process. However, if memory serves me, the disconnects occassionally happen at other times, even when the connection is mostly idle.

Just a thought: is it possible that Sprint monitors the number of simultaneous connections, or else volume of throughput, from a single ip address and terminates the connection if a certain limit is reached?
    Last edited by Undertowe; 07/13/2004 at 11:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Undertowe
    Just a thought: is it possible that Sprint monitors the number of simultaneous connections, or else volume of throughput, from a single ip address and terminates the connection if a certain limit is reached?
    I don't think so. As I said before, I get disconnected less often on my slowest PC (Pentium III 550). On that PC I have successfully download a 35MB file without being disoconnedted. I've even been brave enough (or stupid enough) to have eMule running for over an hour at a time without getting disconnected.

But then there are days that it seems to disconnect every 5 minutes too. Just happens a LOT less often on the slower system. The faster P4 systems I have ALWAYS disconnect within 5 - 20 minutes and usually mess up my PCs network connection after four or more disconnects.

I think Sprint is more reactive on data usage than proactive. Meaning, if you're nto causing them problems, they won't cause you any. I also think that they don't care as much as they used to now that they have more bandwidth to spare. Just a guess though.

--TechDude
    TechDude, do you have to resboot your whole machine to get PdaNet back up and running after that 3rd or 4th pdanet reconnect?
    "I have to return some videotapes."
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoDaddeo6
    TechDude, do you have to resboot your whole machine to get PdaNet back up and running after that 3rd or 4th pdanet reconnect?
    Yes. Do me a favor and see if you have similar circumstnaces to me.

When it stops working (and you're running XP), you can open up your Task Manager and under the "Networking" tab you'll see that there is still a WAN/SLIP connection left over from the last PDAnet connection. At this point I also can't seem to get any data over my regualr network card connection either.

Most of the time I reboot at this point to get PDANet to conenct again, but the system freezes up at shutdown and I have to manually turn the system off.

The freeze up problem may be because I run a Windows 2000 domain at home with roaming profiles. But anyway, see if you have the WAN/SLIP connection under your network tab. Maybe we can nail down a similarity between our problems we can get that message to the developers and get the problems resolved. (Although I haven't had much luck getting a response out of them)

-TechDude
    I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE THEN. Im running XP as well and the exact same thing happens. Even after I delete pdanet out of the task manager processes tree. I even delete hotsync out of there too just in case and still no result. Your onto something TechDude.
    But anyway, see if you have the WAN/SLIP connection under your network tab.(----

Ill have to get back to you on that when I get back home to my computer and run it tonight
    most deff has to do with software (pdanet) and the carrier-sprint for me. I have amd 3000+ with xp.. freq disc especially with downloads greater than a few hundred K. even when only 1 page open. have tried to do a ping or other background task to not time out...no help.
    I also use snap dialer with wifes sanyo 8100. it times out freq if left idle more than to second or so...but will let u dowload large files without disc...an issue with timing out. again, little help using ping in background. what is needed is code in the software to force the data connection to remain open. pdanet has our money and obviously don't give a sh*t to fix this for their customers..SO I DO NOT RECOMMEND PDANET TO ANY UNTIL THEY FIX THIS PROBLEM FOR THEIR PRODUCT TO WORK SATISFACTORILY AS ADVERTISED...YOU GOT OUR MONEY..GIVE US A PROGRAM THAT WORKS...OR A REFUND!!!
    GET ON THE BALL..CAUSE THE WORD IS OUT. aint good for business... DUH!!!
    For whatever it's worth (probably not much for those with problems), I have had flawless performance with PDANet on both the 300 and 600. There is hope, guys, that there is a solution. I wish I could understand what's different between my 600 and yours to diagnose this but I don't see how to do it practically.
    Try anyway in www.myreo.net, if i remember well, there was a firmware for Sprint 3.06....
    Look at that site,
    I have latest firmware sprint 1.12. this is my 3rd treo.. and had same prob with all 3..with both FW versions..so I don't buy pdanets exuse that it is a hardware or treo prob... Im really sick of having to try and problem solve software I PAID for for so long alone...to try to get it to work..JUNE FAB SHOULD BE DOING IT...ITS THEIR SOFTWARE!j!j
    Quote Originally Posted by dscomazzon
    Try anyway in www.mytreo.net, if i remember well, there was a firmware for Sprint 3.06....
    Look at that site,
    I don't see any firmware listed for sprint being version 3.06. I've also never heard of an update for Sprint that was anything other than 1.xx. All of the 3.xx seem to be for GSM models.

By the way, your link to www.mytreo.net is misspelled.

--TechDude
    Well, junefabrics finally has a new update for PDANet. Althought I suspect that it's just the same old 2.52b version with PDAReach compatibility, they SAY that it has a "More stable connection, attempt to auto reconnect if possible."

Any one who was having disconnect issues with it before care to give it a try? I have lost the patience to test this one. (Pluss I got a high speed connection at home, so I don't need it anymore.)

--TechDude
    FWIW, here are the results of my first test.

I wiped my pc and treo free of PDANet. Deleted modem, network connections and all registry entries after the uninstall. Restarted both my Treo and PC.

After the reinstall and sync, I connected to TZones for 25 minutes using Remote Administrator from my work to home PC. For my Treo, I changed the refresh down to 25 per second and 16 colors. Still that was 23 minutes longer than any other PDANet connection since I upgraded to the latest firmware.

I'll test more later this week, but this version is off to a good start with me!
    From this thread in regards to the new 3.0 version.

Quote Originally Posted by TreoDaddeo6
    ... I'm still having the same problems I was having as before with this software with the error mgs and having to reboot to get it back up and functional at peak speeds.
    I forgot about the peak speed thing... does your connection start peaking at around 8% ever so often? Mine usually did that when I would either sit idle for too long, or after it would go through one of its disconnect problems.

8% of 145kbps is slower than a 14.4 modem. So you can imagine that browsing the web becomes a very frustrating experience.

--TechDude
    This is very interesting. I never had disconnect problems with pdanet, but I do have slow speed problems. When I connect via my old samsung I330, I get about 70kbs.
    When I use pdanet with my treo600 my speeds are around 4 to 6 kbs, never ever exceeding 8, and sometimes going down to 2. Any suggestions? I use my regular USB hot sync cable, and was wondering whether I should be using a usb/serial connection? You would think that would be slower, but it is the only variable that might change my setup. I get these slow speeds on two different pdanet equipped computers, but as I say, my I330 gets about 70. I'd love to use my treo and not borrow my wife's phone, but so far pda net is really next to useless. Suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis
    This is very interesting. I never had disconnect problems with pdanet, but I do have slow speed problems. When I connect via my old samsung I330, I get about 70kbs.
    When I use pdanet with my treo600 my speeds are around 4 to 6 kbs, never ever exceeding 8, and sometimes going down to 2. Any suggestions? I use my regular USB hot sync cable, and was wondering whether I should be using a usb/serial connection? You would think that would be slower, but it is the only variable that might change my setup. I get these slow speeds on two different pdanet equipped computers, but as I say, my I330 gets about 70. I'd love to use my treo and not borrow my wife's phone, but so far pda net is really next to useless. Suggestions?
    Where are you seeing the 70kbps reported? Are you talking about the speed reported by internet explorer when you're downloading a large file?

It's important to understand the difference between kbps and KB/Sec. kbps is 1000 (kilo) bits per second. KB/Sec is 1000 (kilo) bytes pers second. Each byte contains 8 bits, so there is a BIG difference.

This also means that for Sprint's network with a 145kbps speed, the fastest speed you should ever see in internet explorer (when you're downloading a file) is 18KB/Sec. Most users see a maximum of around 12KB/Sec.

That's why I'm confused as to where you are seeing this 70kbps. Windows should be reporting a connection speed of 145kbps. and internet explorer should be reporting less than 18KB/Sec. Neither of these figures are close to your 70.

:EDIT:
    As for the 8% I was talking about earlier, that was found under the Network tab of the task manager in Windows XP. It shows a graph of your network connections and gives a percentage of bandwidth in use at the bottom. This area says that there is 8% bandwidth in use on a regular basis on mine. Sometimes I can disconnect and econnect to get the speed to exceed 8%. But most of the time I have to reboot the PC.

If you're getting 4 - 6kbps then you'd only be using 2 - 4% of a 145kbps connection, so it might be a different issue.

Give me some more information on your problem and I might be able to help. right now I'm just lost.

--TechDude
    Last edited by TechDude; 07/19/2004 at 06:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TechDude
    When it stops working (and you're running XP), you can open up your Task Manager and under the "Networking" tab you'll see that there is still a WAN/SLIP connection left over from the last PDAnet connection.
    I get the stuck connection occasionally: if I put my laptop into Hibernate without first disconnecting (via s/w), disconnecting the cable without first disconnecting (via s/w) and other times just randomly. When this does happen, nothing short of rebooting will reset the network connection.
    Will
    I have 2 notebook, 1 Hp omnibook xe3 PIII 900Mhz and 1 Acer Travrlmate 273 PIV 1700Ghz.
    When using PIII connection with Pdanet is stable: window update with 10Mb of download and navigation moreless of 5 hours.
    Insted with PIV connection resist only for few minute like 4-5.
    It's strange that if i connect the 2 notebook with a cross nethwork cable and i connect Treo with Omnibook using Pdanet, i can navigate browsing internet from Acer with a stable connection pratically infinite. Yes it is because is Omnibook to use Treo and not Acer tah have a bigger CPU....
    With new pdanet somthing go well?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast