1.    #1  
    Okay. I didn't believe this when I first witnessed it. So I had to try it a half dozen times more.

When using a third party headset, when I close my car door (with me inside) the phone hangs up! Not just around the time I close the door, but at the instant I hear the "thud" the Treo 600 hangs up the call.

My bet is that the compression somehow emulates the hangup button found on most headsets (but not mine).

Does anyone have any idea what this is?
    Could it be the pulse of air pressure that you feel when you close your car door is actually causing the touchscreen to respond? Try closing your car door with the window rolled down to see if it is the sound or the pressure that is causing the phone to hang up. The hang-up button shorts the mic wire with the ground, so I would be surprised if a sound could emulate this effect. Or maybe the pressure pulse is actually depressing the microswitch inside the hang-up button?

Or is this like when you ate that huge marshmallow and then found your pillow missing the next morning?
  3.    #3  
    Most likely it isn't the touch screen because I close the door while on the phone all the time, but this is the first time with the headset, and the first time I have seen this behavior. There is no hangup button on this headset, so the pressure can't be doing that. I'm pretty sure it isn't the sound but the pressure (I can close the door while outside, and nothing happens). Could the pressure cause the mic to send such a current that it is interpreted as a shorting of mic to ground?
    If there is no mic on the headset, then there is no mic lead (outside of the phone jack itself) that can become grounded. You're right...this is weird!

I wonder if you can answer a phone call by shutting (or opening!) your door?
    Originally posted by scrinch
    I wonder if you can answer a phone call by shutting (or opening!) your door?

HHHAAA, ha, ha hahahaha.
    Yes, perhaps your making the mic "clip" (for lack of a better work) and that is what is happening....Strange, but I have heard of stanger......

SO how long did it take you to find it was the door closing that casued the hangup? That must have been fusterating!
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by Burkhardi
    Yes, perhaps your making the mic "clip" (for lack of a better work) and that is what is happening....Strange, but I have heard of stanger......

SO how long did it take you to find it was the door closing that casued the hangup? That must have been fusterating!
    First time I thought it was a coincidence. The second time, I got curious. Third time, I was looking at the phone as I closed the door. So three times to be 99% sure it wasn't just chance. Just to be safe (okay, so this isn't safe) I did it again while I was driving to be sure it wasn't just some weird locational issue.
  8.    #8  
    Okay, I'm going to try it again when I leave work tonight. I'll leave the window open a tad which should isolate the sound from the compression. Better yet I can open another window.