Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Saw this link on PalmAddicts:

Kodiak

At launch, Kodiak will support Symbian and Palm operating systems. The Palm Handspring Treo 600 will be one of the first devices to embed the Kodiak client software, according to Farrill.
    Enjoy!!!
    Since they mention that the T6 will be supported, this may be interpreted in one of two ways:
    1) Sprint has already agreed to support Kodiak.
    2) Verizon has agreed to support the Treo 600 and Kodiak.
    not exactly sure what all that means, but I hate "push to talk". It's so annoying to hear people talk two way in public. Most have the speaker on and everyone in the room can hear. Nextel charges $50 for unlimited PTT? I would much rather have unlimited cell to cell for $10.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Yes, someone explain the attraction of PTT.

I don't know why some pl
    PTT:

The advantage is you can talk to peopel that don't necessarily want you to talk to them and you can do it any time you like.

You don't need to make a phone call, and it's so easy to just talk to people all day long... like they are attatched to you.

Plus with groups you can talk to a bunch of people like a conference call....

It is sort of like you using your speakerphone all the time as well..

Now how come people use PTT in public but don't use their speakerphones... How annoying would it be if people used the speakerphones in public all the time.

VERY!
    hmm - I'll believe it when I see the app operating on my 600.

I just think there are too many hardware requirements with PTT that will keep the 600 from having a really usable solution. Maybe the Kodiak dudes will prove me wrong...

In terms of WHY have PTT - well, for certain vertical industries, it's almost a 'have-to'have' feature. You know the guys - you've seen their big yellow Nextel plasti-phones on their Wranglers. So - there's definitely a market out there. Nextel gets rave reviews from industry analysts for their 'ARPU' - average revenue per user - it's higher and more profitable than almost any other carrier. And THAT is what has Sprint and Verizon slobbering all over themselves to get into the PTT market. All about the ARPU babeeeeee.
    I unleash my dog on any PTT users... He thinks Nextel phones taste great! But I don't want him to eat my 600! (When I get my GSM one, that is... )
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Sprint PTT phones will have an option to turn off speakerphone when using PTT (ReadyLink). This will allow you to use the earpiece on the phone. Finally!
    I'll believe it when I see it...
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Originally posted by jwardneosoft
    Yes, someone explain the attraction of PTT.

I don't know why some pl
    For business use, its a bit like IM vs Email. With PTT as with IM in business you can just barge in, ask your question, get an answer then get on with whatever you are doing. None of the formalities and small talk and getting side tracked of starting a phone conversation.

Business Phone calls as with business email tend to be longer, more formal and more intrusive to both parties. Now I know that sounds odd, in that when someone PTT's you that is definitely interrupting, but generally neither party has to completely disengage with whatever they are working on.

And BTW just about every PTT phone out there will let you use it without the speaker phone, but for some reason most people either have not figured out how to switch between the two or just enjoy bothering people.

My own edicate (right or wrong) is that I simply won’t answer the phone when I am talking to someone in person. The person in front of me always gets priority. But I will often answer a PTT question, because it is often very fast and I can usually keep talking to the person in front of me while I have the PTT conversation.
  10.    #10  
    Actually, I too don't care too much about PTT, but I know several co-workers who wouldn't buy a T6 without it. If the means more sales, particularly to enterprise customers, then that means more popularity for the T6, and an even chance at getting support from more and more developers.
    Does PTT work across all carriers, or will it be a sprint - sprint, verizon - verizon only thing? If that's the case I really don't see it being that big of a hit. They could judge it's potential success based off how many people have the unlimited PCS - PS calling. I have no #'s but if you already have unlimited PCS - PCS why in the world would you pay extra for PPT? That's if it's only Sprint - Sprint?
    This sounds like an app similar to FastChat that will allow PPT-like functionality for CDMA handsets as well. This may be a solution to get PTT on the Treo600 since it will not be compatible with Sprint own PTT AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Currently PTT only works within a carrier - Nextel's PTT only works with other Nextel phones, Verizon's PTT only works with other Verizon phones.
    Is Ready Link 1/2 duplex?
    Can it be used like a partyline?
    TIA, Matt
    Originally posted by DSDxp
    Sprint PTT phones will have an option to turn off speakerphone when using PTT (ReadyLink). This will allow you to use the earpiece on the phone. Finally!
    Nextel phones have always had this, it just so happens that some people who use Nextel are more considerate than others.
    I want a Treo 600!!!
    Originally posted by Burkhardi
    Is Ready Link 1/2 duplex?
    Can it be used like a partyline?
    TIA, Matt
    yeah...cuz if it was full duplex it would be just a regular phone call!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Yea, I guess "Push To Talk" tells it all...OK, I'm a doofus

How about mutipule people listing in (that are in your group)?
    so fastchat will give us PTT now? anyone actually tried it?
    Originally posted by imageone
    not exactly sure what all that means, but I hate "push to talk". It's so annoying to hear people talk two way in public. Most have the speaker on and everyone in the room can hear. Nextel charges $50 for unlimited PTT? I would much rather have unlimited cell to cell for $10.
    I'm with you.

When Sprint gets PTT I'll have to start carrying around my beatdown stick for those individuals who must use that annoying PTT beep combined with speakerphone!

You with me?
    I work with the best team in my company. That said, they sometimes think what they are doing is WAAAAY more important than ANYTHING the old man might have to say. With ReadyLink I can barge in , use my "You WILL respect my authority" voice and tell them what I need to. If they don't catch it they'll beep beep back because they don't want to be out of the loop. As for annoying people with the speakerphone, it's no worse than listening to most of what the morons around me are saying to each other in person.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast