1.    #1  
    hello,

Please can you confirm to me, in the future when it will
    be the time to replace the battery in treo 600,
    the content of the ram will be lost but after restart
    the unit with new battery, the handset can work
    again

1/ after a new preference setup (like first time deliver)
    2/ new sync from backup with your computer.

i'm rigth ?

Thanks
    Originally posted by tony38
    hello,

Please can you confirm to me, in the future when it will
    be the time to replace the battery in treo 600,
    the content of the ram will be lost but after restart
    the unit with new battery, the handset can work
    again

1/ after a new preference setup (like first time deliver)
    2/ new sync from backup with your computer.

i'm rigth ?

Thanks
    The T600 doesn't have a replacement battery. It's internal.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by its_treo4me

The T600 doesn't have a replacement battery. It's internal.
    yes it's correct ! but you can replace yourself like treo 300 :-)
    I'm always nervous about losing data so here's what I do to be safe.

Download at least 2 different card backup programs (a couple are free, many others have a trial period). Do a full backup to card using both programs (make sure they use separate backup directories).

Then do a hotsync. Hard reset the device. Try restoring from the various programs. When you are confident you have a backup program that works for you, register it. The $10-20 is nothing compared to the frustration of losing your valuable data.

I would say in most cases, card backup programs are superior to hotsync backups. But use both, if one fails at least you can get most of your data back from the other.

David
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by djs_tx
    I'm always nervous about losing data so here's what I do to be safe.

Download at least 2 different card backup programs (a couple are free, many others have a trial period). Do a full backup to card using both programs (make sure they use separate backup directories).

Then do a hotsync. Hard reset the device. Try restoring from the various programs. When you are confident you have a backup program that works for you, register it. The $10-20 is nothing compared to the frustration of losing your valuable data.

I would say in most cases, card backup programs are superior to hotsync backups. But use both, if one fails at least you can get most of your data back from the other.

David
    thank you for comments , but the great question it's to know
    if the handset boot correctly with a blank setup or not after
    losing the ram.

If this is yes then you can configure again the unit or also
    restore from a backup.

i hope if the handset lose completly the ram data
    like a battery replacement you will not do send
    the handset to handspring :-)
    The operating system is in ROM and does not require power.

I am 99% sure that it would boot fine after a battery change. If not then palms would have a "shelf life". The battery naturally drains slowly sitting on a shelf. If the battery got completely dead, this is the same as disconnecting the battery. I cannot imagine a dead battery requiring a return to the factory, that would be nuts.
    David
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by djs_tx
    The operating system is in ROM and does not require power.

I am 99% sure that it would boot fine after a battery change. If not then palms would have a "shelf life". The battery naturally drains slowly sitting on a shelf. If the battery got completely dead, this is the same as disconnecting the battery. I cannot imagine a dead battery requiring a return to the factory, that would be nuts.
    David
    Thank you for reply ,
    i think the same, see my last post, for me after a
    battery disconnect cause only losing ram data,
    after you need only to start and configure again or also
    restore from backup ( thank you for the good
    idea about SD card backup ).

Best regard.
    I agreee with David. Many have reported that a dead battery with subsequent hook-up to the charger resulted in the equivalent of a "hard reset" with the ability to restore data at the next synch after the battery is charged. No reason to believe that battery change, however that might be accomplished, would alter the process.

HTH

Bob Duckworth
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Speaking as someone who has managed to completely drain the battery on a Handspring Visor Prism, I can confirm that the Visor came back to life with OS intact (but no data) once the battery was recharged. Of course, it's possible that even though the battery seemed completely dead to me, perhaps it was only mostly dead. And, as everybody knows, there is a big difference between completely dead and mostly dead.
    Originally posted by CharFeld
    And, as everybody knows, there is a big difference between completely dead and mostly dead.
    Well, yes, Magic Max in the Princess Bride proved that pretty well.

I would suspect that smart engineering would have set a voltage level that would preserve the memory and data in the T600 and in fact that's what the book says. However, we have seen from the experiences of others, that, in fact, it doesn't seem to work that way in reality. The ROM is maintained as its pretty much permanent (though flashable we're told), however, apparently, one can trick the battery into depletion, before the programming catches you and says, "wait a minute here!". Zip, your data is truly dead.

Moral "Charge it before you lose it." Don't rely upon the operating system to shut you down and preserve your data. Back it up as well.

HTH

Bob Duckworth
    Well, after a lot of hard partying and long nights in Vegas for the New Year's weekend, I let the battery drain out when I got back to Austin. When I woke up from from hibernation, all my data and apps were gone. I was thinking about getting backup buddy right after my vacation. I guess I was too late. Everybody backup!
    I never use a backup program. All I use is a backup card. I take it with me when I travel so I don't have to worry about hot sync when I don't have my computer. I don't know why everyone uses these programs. Is there something I am missing? Don't you need the computer to do a sd card backup using backup buddy or other program? I would just get a palm backup card.
    my .02 cents
    Originally posted by magicjoel
    Don't you need the computer to do a sd card backup using backup buddy or other program?
    No computer is needed. The program resides in RAM and on the SD card. Backups and restores are all done to the SD card without a computer.