1.    #1  
    Folks,

I have used unlimited data with Verizon over the last year and am testing Sprints unlimited plan with a 600 right now. I use this mainly with a laptop.

Verizon's data is expensive, but it does work and usually tests out on internet speed tests at around 70-100K+ each way with some latency and packet loss.

Sprint's data has been more consistent than Verizon's in some areas, and in other's it doesn't seem to always work well. When it works, the speeds are great.

What speeds should I expect with GPRS? I last tested this with T-Mobile and AT&T in January, and the packet loss and latency were excellent, but the speeds were never greater than 40K.

Has anything changed?

Glenn
    Nope!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I tested t-mobile recently and the speed is about 40-50K. I have been using Sprint for a year. Downloading large files with Sprint is superb - 150K almost always. However, web bworing with t-mobile seems more smooth.

I'm still choosing between Treo 600 between Sprint and T-Mobile. So far I tend to go t-mobile even it does not work in my office. The good thing about GSM is the SIM card, so I don't have to stick with only one phone. For now, I use SE T610 (just $99 as I'm a new subscriber) with a super PDA (the Samsung Nexio). Later I'll buy a Convergent CF GPRS modem. Then I simply move the SIM card into the modem card and enjoy everything in one PDA without having to use a phone as a modem. Eventurally when Handspring starts offering $399 Treo 600 upgrading for t-mobile, I'll get it. Then I can do whatever I like: just use Treo 600 alone, or swap the SIM card into the modem, or use 600 as a BT modem when a BT card is finally available.

So, even t-mobile has worse coverage and lower speed, I'll have much more toys to play with to fit all my different needs. With Sprint, I'm married without children (I love kids). I went to Sprint a year ago because it was the only carrier offered unlimited data plan for reasonable price.
    Someone emailed me asking how's T610's reception. People say Nokia 3650 has the best reception; I found T610 is on par with it. Where 3650 can get signal, T610 too; where T610 does not get signal, 3650 neither.

So, I recommend T610, especially if you use the phone as a modem for a PDA. T610 has all the GPRS settings in the phone, while you must use special scripts to dial a Nokia phone, which is usually impossible for PDAs. I still have not made a successful dialup connection with 3650 yet. No need to mention that Nokia phones are bulky and ugly. Also, for all Sony Ericsson phones you can add a very light and nice keyboard. My only complaint to SE phones is: they dont have a good note/memo function (but you can download such an application).

When you still need a super PDA sometimes, a T610 + PDA comb is better than Treo 600. Note I meant "super PDA" like Samsung Nexio S160 with 800x480 screen. If you use a iPaq or alike, Treo 600 is the best and you don't bother carring two things. Hard choice. But GSM and SIM card makes choice simple - you simply get all the phones and CF/PCMCIA cards you like and swap them at anytime. With Sprint CDMA, you must make a one-time choice.

I'm glad I did not went for the $399 Sprint Treo 600 upgrading. And, I can wait as long as Treo 600 is available from t-mobile, because I can have something to use for now and Treo 600 will add to (not trash) my current possessions. Like many of you here, I had a very hard time to decide: Sprint or T-mobile? Treo 600 or 300? T610 + PDA or just Treo? I'm glad now the clouds are cleared up: T-mobile. No more phone/PDA/card choices because I can have them all - Treo 600, T610 + PDA, Treo + PDA, and even more! With t-mobile, my options are seamless. With Sprint, as I said earlier, I'm married without children.
    Last edited by Fixup; 11/12/2003 at 11:38 AM.
    Originally posted by Fixup
    Someone emailed me asking how's T610's reception. People say Nokia 3650 has the best reception; I found T610 is on par with it. Where 3650 can get signal, T610 too; where T610 does not get signal, 3650 neither.
    I actually wonder about the 3600 versus 3650. I didn't know there was a 3600 when I bought my 3650, but it's basically a 3650 with 850/1900 instead of 900/1800/1900. With 850 it should be much better in North America. When I get my GSM 600 I guess I will find out.
  6.    #6  
    Everyone,

Thanks for the responses. From what I have read, GPRS is still 40-50K. Is this correct.

BTW, what is the T610?

Thanks,

Glenn
    Yes, I've done extensive tests. T-Mobile is 40-50K and Sprint is 80-150K in real life.

T610 is Sony Ericsson phone for T-Mobile. This phone has bluetooth and thus is loved by those who prefer to use a phone and PDA comb. Right now I use it with my Nexio S160 (a 800x480 8.8 oz PDA that really fits into my pocket). With such a comb, I can do far more serious work than I can with a Treo. However, neither Nexio nor T610 is close to Treo for organizing work. So, a Treo + BT + Nexio would be a perfect comb. As soon as a BT card is available for Treo, I'll sell the T610 on eBay. For now T610 is the only option (Nokia 3650 does not work with Nexio because it requires too long dialing script).
    Yes, I've done extensive tests. T-Mobile is 40-50K and Sprint is 80-150K in real life.

T610 is Sony Ericsson phone for T-Mobile. This phone has bluetooth and thus is loved by those who prefer to use a phone and PDA comb. Right now I use it with my Nexio S160 (a 800x480 8.8 oz PDA that really fits into my pocket). With such a comb, I can do far more serious work than I can with a Treo. However, neither Nexio nor T610 is close to Treo for organizing work. So, a Treo + BT + Nexio would be a perfect comb. As soon as a BT card is available for Treo, I'll sell the T610 on eBay. For now T610 is the only option (Nokia 3650 does not work with Nexio because it requires too long dialing script).

Funny you mention the Nexio - I just saw came across this last week:

http://www.sibelle.org/nex/nmain.htm

The T610 is a pretty nice phone. Imagine if Sony Ericsson designed a phone like the Treo 600!
    Compared to Treo 600, the only big thing missing in T610 is good notes/memo that synchronize with Outlook. Even if someone comes out something like the PocketMirror for Palm, T610's notes function is still too limited. Without a usable notes function for passwords, keys, door codes etc., I cannot use it as an organizer. Keyboard is not a big issue as you can buy a $12 light and nice keyboard for any SE phones. BTW, T610's T9 implementation is the best so far and I almost don't miss Treo's keyboard.

Treo does about 75% of the daily work, but Nexio + T610 does 100% work because it is pocketable with a screen, keyboard and functionality of a laptop. CE.Net 4.1 (runs on Nexio) is very much a XP in a pocket. If there is still something it cannot do locally, you can always do Remote Desktop (terminal service). That's what I meant "100%" of work. Even you still carry two things, but you don't need any wires and dialing from Nexio to T610 via bluetooth is beautifully convenient.

More on Nexio. It does not have BT built-in but you can add a BT CF card. Only AnyCom, AmbiCom and Socket (Rev. F only) works on Nexio. Socket is the best because it is exactly the size of a CF memory card - it does not extend out the CF slot, not at all. But, again, only Rev. F works.

I put so many words about this Nexio, because it is so far the only pocketable unit that do almost all kinds of work for you. There are still many jobs Treo 600 cannot do at all or cannot do them well. You know what's the difference between browsing WWW or Terminal clienting on 120x120 and 800x480 screens. The Sharp (640x480) showing in above link is damn good too, but it is a Japnese version. Nexio is a true English unit and you can add Chinese support with the included CD.

I wish Jeff Howkins will put a 640x480 screen into a new Treo and don't waste their time for a 320x320 one. Because for what 320x320 can do, 160x160 is just fine.
    I've had Verizon 1xRTT for over a year now, and recently upgraded to EVDO (only available in DC and San Diego, I believe.)

1xRTT on Verizon has worked fairly well in most major cities around the US (I travel a lot.) EVDO in DC is just awesome. It's latency/jitter is down to a point that VoIP works, and downloads of large files scream.

I recently got an account with Sprint for the Treo 600. I had used Sprint several years ago and wasn't impressed with their coverage. I was constantly roaming off and eating it big time $$$. This time around I've had much better luck, and the 1xRTT is faster than Verizons. I also got the $5 roaming deal, so I can roam onto Verizon when Sprint can't hack it with no roaming fees.

I would have liked the GSM version for when I go overseas, but I already have another phone for that anyways.

As a reminder, Sprint has a 14 day no questions asked return policy. Just go and try it.

-A
  11.    #11  
    andrewket,

I do not live in the areas (SD and DC) where this has been rolled out, but it sounds awesome.

In your experience, is it like a cable modem everywhere? Do you use it with a modem card or a phone.

I can't wait for this type of service to be everywhere...!

Glenn
    Regarding the disparaging comments about the Nokia 3650...

1) There are numerous threads over at HowardForums.com where people who have used the 3650 and various Sony-Ericsson phones (including the T610) have stated that the 3650's reception is noticeably better.
    2) Bulky and ugly? Well, that's certainly a matter of opinion and the 3650 has been insanely popular.
    3) The 3650's camera is noticeably better than the T610 (and better than most camera-phones, for that matter).
    4) If you're a true geek, know that the Nokia 3650 runs the Symbian OS and there's a good and growing number of 3rd party applications available for it (like, most recently, potatoho's wireless IR keyboard driver).

I agree that if you want a phone/PDA two-piece combo, the T610 will help lighten the load. But with the added advantages of the Nokia 3650, I personally would prefer to go that route and carry a little more bulk.

Regarding the Nokia 3600...Yes, I've heard good things about the 850MHz band (used by Cingular in my area) being good at building-penetration. Unfortunately, Cingular's data plan sucks. I'm about to create a new thread here about the speed (and other issues) with using Cingular's CSD (dial-up over GSM) instead of GPRS.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Originally posted by andrewket
    I also got the $5 roaming deal, so I can roam onto Verizon when Sprint can't hack it with no roaming fees.
    Is it safe to say that you can't use Verizon's high-speed data plan (under Sprint's unlimited use terms) when roaming on Verizon's network?

Scott
    scott,
    yes, 3650 has many merits. I specially like its mmc/sd card with which you can back up all phone data and store huge numbers of pictures. The main poblem is you cannot use PPC or CE.net's builtin dialer to make a connection to tmobile, because gprs settings is not in the phone and you must use extra scripts to specify those settings. Third party dialers are required, but unfortunately they dont run on ce.net 4.1.

With T610, you can set up many different data accounts in the phone with unique IDs (CID) and simply specify a CID (*99***CID#) to dial. If I could make a successful connection with 3650, I would have kept it even it is larger than Treo 600. Right now T610 is the only option to me as a BT modem to my Nexio and I'm waiting for Treo's BT support.
    The main poblem is you cannot use PPC or CE.net's builtin dialer to make a connection to tmobile, because gprs settings is not in the phone and you must use extra scripts to specify those settings. Third party dialers are required, but unfortunately they dont run on ce.net 4.1.

With T610, you can set up many different data accounts in the phone with unique IDs (CID) and simply specify a CID (*99***CID#) to dial. If I could make a successful connection with 3650, I would have kept it even it is larger than Treo 600. Right now T610 is the only option to me as a BT modem to my Nexio and I'm waiting for Treo's BT support.
    I'm not sure I follow you about what the 3650 was missing that your T610 has. Is this a PPC OS issue or a 3650 issue? I just got an HP iPaq h4155 (w/Bluetooth and WiFi) and should have my Tapwave Zodiac (w/Bluetooth) coming in a few days. I really, really want to hook both of these up to a BT phone.

My dilemma is that I'd like to play with Nokia's Series 60 platform and I also like the sample pictures I've seen from the 3650. Unfortunately, T-Mobile has awful coverage in CT. Cingular supposedly has good coverage but you pay a couple hundred dollars more for the phone (you can get a T-Mobile 3650 from Amazon for free after rebates/contract). Cingular also has lame data pricing, though I'm thinking I might be able to get by with using their CSD (slower data using dial-up over GSM which only uses up your minutes).

Basically, all of the possible options have flaws for me.

Scott