Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys, anyone download Palm Gphone and try it out on their Treo600's yet? I just tried it and it can't seem to get it to log on? The "locating server" box pops up and it says, "login failed, try again." Does anyone have any clue how to get this thing to work on the Treo? I realize it's meant for wifi via the Tungsten C, but don't ou only need an internet connection to make this work? It would be awesome if this could work via Sprint's 1xrtt (vision) data connectivity as well!

Anyway, I'ld appreciate some help from any VoIP aficianados out there! TIA!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  2.    #2  
    Just a thought...Does Sprint put up some sort of firewall to prevent vision for the use of such features? Gphonw cannot be used behing a firewall, and I ws wondering if this could be a reason? Hmm... well anyway I just emailed VLI about compatibility with the Treo600. I'll report back any responses I get...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    neat idea. but the specs say the app requires a 206 Mhz processor or higher T600 has 144...
  4.    #4  
    Actually, the PalmOS app seems to install and work fine. I just can't get it to log on to my gphone account? Under options>network>advanced: there three servers:

Lookup Server
    Stun Server
    Go2CallServer

Apparently, Gphone is not correctly logging on to the lookup server during the sign up proceess? But if I enter the lookup IP in blazer, it loads fine? I was wondering if there was some way of manipulating the port settings to make this work? Anyone have any ideas?

Another thought is perhaps you need a static IP to make VoIP calls? But this wouldn't make sense b/c I don't even have a static IP for my adsl and VoIP works fine. Also, I have in the past made VoIP calls on a laptop via 1xrtt using a Sprint mobile as a modem....

Any one else wanna fiddle with this thing?

Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    No luck for me. I'm getting "login failed" too. I get the failure notice almost instantaneously, which makes me think that therels never any server access...
    What carrier are you using Gfunk? My understanding was that you got a real internet IP when using Vision, which would make this theoretically possible. T-Mo doesn't do it this way, hiding GPRS clients behind a NAT device (think big Linksys firewall / router)

However, any carrier may well block unsolicited traffic directed at wireless devices. Particularly if you're paying by the kb, the ability of someone to remotely run up your bill would be an unpleasant suprise. (If you're unlimited, the carriers still wouldn't want to be passing traffic you don't want in the first place)
    I was under the impression that you needed a faster (a la Wi-Fi) connection for VoIP, but I'd love to hear different.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    VoIP would be terrible over the Vision network except during very light usage times. I have always noticed that the Vision network data transfers vary greatly and the delay seems pretty bad at times.

VoIP needs two things to work good: A guaranteed amount of bandwidth (typically 80 kbps, 40 kbps, 20 kbps, 10 kbps depending on the compression) and minimal delay (typically less than 100 ms). I don't think that vision would provide either reliably. When I was testing VoIP equipment you had to engineer the network perfectly to provide toll quality service.

With WiFi, it should work much better since the pipe is wider, delay should be less, but you would still have the same issues if the access point you are using at that time is being heavily utilized.

I am pretty sure that Sprint is using either a firewall or access list on the Vision Internet gateways. This would allow them to block any port that they want. It is very possible that they are blocking the ports used by the various VoIP protocols (SIP, MGCP, H.323). If you have the emulator, see if you can install the software on the emulator and see if you can connect to the servers. If so, then the ports are likely blocked by Vision.
  9.    #9  
    Well just to update, I got this response from VLI customer service regarding using Gphone on the Sprint Treo600:

Thank you for your interest in Gphone. We have not tested the Gphone on a Treo 600. Hypothetically it should work, but the main problems that you may encounter are: low bandwidth or unreliable bandwidth, incompatible sound drivers, and insufficient network drivers. I encourage you to try Gphone for the Palm Tungsten C for free for 60 days at www.gphoneonline.com

Thanks,
    GphoneOnline
    I think they may be right about the insufficient network drivers! But anyway, I find it encouraging that they said it was hypothetically possible! Does anyone with deeper knowledge about Sprint's network chime in about the possibilty of using this app? I truely believe that 1xrtt should have enough bandwidth to get this to work! As I mentioned prior, while using my old Treo300 via PDANet, I was able to make VoIP calls on my PC, thus I'm pretty sure the bandwidth is sufficient. Any thoughts?

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Personally, I don't think bandwidth is the issue. I use to have an iPaq with a CDPD Sierra Wireless card that was only 19.2kbps (actual about 8 to 12kbps) and used a Microsoft Research program that worked. I think it used an 8k GSM codec. My business partner and I could talk just fine between our handhelds until they did away with codec in PocketPC 2002
  11.    #11  
    <bump>

Anyone else try Gphone with more success? There's got to be some geniuses here that can figure out how to make this work!

I'd give it a shot, but I don't see anywhere to download it from their site.
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by JoeTampa
    I'd give it a shot, but I don't see anywhere to download it from their site.
    Goto Vliusa and click download trial under palm gphone...

Originally posted by icedivr
    T-Mo doesn't do it this way, hiding GPRS clients behind a NAT device (think big Linksys firewall / router)
    Thats realative to what APN you are on. If you have unlimited GPRS in the standard form you are on internet2.voicestream.com, and thus issued a private NAT guarded IP. If you have unlimited GPRS in the VPN form, you are on internet3.voicestream.com. Internt3 APN issues a real IP address, and is free of any barriers. So, if you want a real IP call up and ask to be switched to Unlimited Internet VPN. Its the same price as regular Unlimited Internet ($19.99)... just with a real IP.

FS: GSM Treo 600 with Accesories.... here.
    Folks,

I tested T-Mobile in February and this is true. I was not able to use my company's VPN and I called T-Mobile CS, and they switched me over to the true IP system, and it worked (same price).

I wish all the GSM prividers had the speed that Verizon and Sprint have with CDMA. A SIM card and data access would be awesome when travelling overseas.

For now, it looks like Sprint is the best because the voice plans and data speeds are great.

Glenn
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Is Jeff confused, or does this actually work on the treo600?

http://192.246.69.231/jeff/personal/...es/000792.html
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by bhyde
    Is Jeff confused, or does this actually work on the treo600?

http://192.246.69.231/jeff/personal/...es/000792.html

I think he might be confused, however, i haven't tried gphone since the update. I'll report back as soon as I get a chance...

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I have written a bunch of little network apps for my Treo and I have noticed that while there IS a NAT, there is no blocking on any port that I have found.
    Of course, if Gphone is really using SIP/RTP, then it won't be possible to get communication through the NAT. Only Skype uses the "Fasttrack" type p2p which can do bidirections UDP through a NAT.
    --jaslo
    which brings us to another problem, Skype doesn't have a Palm OS version. they have a section on their website to request it though, so try to go there and encourage them to make it so we can use VoIP on our Treos!
    We tested a Vonage VoIP ATA conected to a laptop that had a Novatel Vision card running, and the performace was terrible. About 1 in 10 words could be heard. IT was such a disaster that we decided to just ditch any more testing.
    Carl
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast