Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I'm on Sprint and tried the GPhone app successfully. It's not what you think (At least, it wasn't what I thought it would be). It's basically VoIP chat. You can only connect to other GPhone users who are logged in.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by KKenna
    I'm on Sprint and tried the GPhone app successfully. It's not what you think (At least, it wasn't what I thought it would be). It's basically VoIP chat. You can only connect to other GPhone users who are logged in.

KKena, could please clarify...did you successfully test Gphone on a Sprint Treo600?!! If so, how did you get it to work? Any information would be greatly appreciated! TX...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    I was under the impression that you needed a faster (a la Wi-Fi) connection for VoIP, but I'd love to hear different.

Scott
    There are codecs that support 56K/dialup/GPRS type connections with no problem. G.711 comes to mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Well just to update, I got this response from VLI customer service regarding using Gphone on the Sprint Treo600:

I think they may be right about the insufficient network drivers! But anyway, I find it encouraging that they said it was hypothetically possible! Does anyone with deeper knowledge about Sprint's network chime in about the possibilty of using this app? I truely believe that 1xrtt should have enough bandwidth to get this to work! As I mentioned prior, while using my old Treo300 via PDANet, I was able to make VoIP calls on my PC, thus I'm pretty sure the bandwidth is sufficient. Any thoughts?
    But I can't get their Windows version either! Getting the same error.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    KKena, could please clarify...did you successfully test Gphone on a Sprint Treo600?!! If so, how did you get it to work? Any information would be greatly appreciated! TX...
    Ditto.
    Quote Originally Posted by KKenna
    It's basically VoIP chat. You can only connect to other GPhone users who are logged in.
    that blows about Skype too. I like true IP voice conectivity
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    I like true SIP VoIP, which Skype is not...
    what does SIP stand for?

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

Vonage is who I have used for the last year or so. They have an aplet that needs to be run on the computer to access the VOIP in a software sense. Otherwise you have to be connected to their Cisco ATA device. So I am assuming someone would have to write a Java aplet for the Treo specific to the individual carrier (ie: Vonage) whether over wifi or not. I also agree bandwidth will be a huge issue because even a broadband connection is flakey when you use VOIP and also use the internet connection for other things. I have issues accessing e-mail, doing a Webex demo and using Vonage all at the same time and I have a 3mb pipeline so I think 145kb will be difficult.
    Ok, just thought of something...Useing PDAnet on the 600 with my laptop and using Vonage softphone application this should be a breeze to make work. This is interesting to me because right now I can take my Cisco ATA when I am traveling and hook up to any broadband connection. The Treo and PDAnet would allow me to use the softphone and a headset with the laptop and use Vonage anywhere but with 2500 minutes a month and free nights at 7pm and free weekends, why bother???
    hmmm, I also use Vonage, but I have the Moto MTA.

I agree about the applet...it would be cool if an applet could be used to let the cellular provider make a handoff to IP telephony rather than cellular...of course that would require that wireless providers set up IP systems too

I tried to get Gphone to work on T-Mobile. I'm using "T-Mobile VPN" (APN = internet3.voicestream.com) as opposed to "T-Mobile Internet". I thought that the VPN service did not use NAT, but it looks to me like it actually does. The tech support rep from Gphone verified that Gphone will not work with NAT. Anyway, no luck getting it to work.

Anyone know if the "T-Mobile Internet" service uses NAT?
    No way is GPRS fast enough to support VoIP, 1x is barely fast enough and EV-DO will be okay....I bet EDGE will have too much latency to make it really usable also

Quote Originally Posted by daftgem
    Thats realative to what APN you are on. If you have unlimited GPRS in the standard form you are on internet2.voicestream.com, and thus issued a private NAT guarded IP. If you have unlimited GPRS in the VPN form, you are on internet3.voicestream.com. Internt3 APN issues a real IP address, and is free of any barriers. So, if you want a real IP call up and ask to be switched to Unlimited Internet VPN. Its the same price as regular Unlimited Internet ($19.99)... just with a real IP.
    I have the VPN version of GPRS. When I use PDANet to connect using my PC, the modem connection has a different IP address than is reported by WhatIsMyIpAddress.com. Doesn't that mean that internet3 APN is using NAT? Am I missing something? I've seen other sources that also say that internet3 is supposed to NOT use NAT, so I don't understand this.
    Quote Originally Posted by dseese
    I have the VPN version of GPRS. When I use PDANet to connect using my PC, the modem connection has a different IP address than is reported by WhatIsMyIpAddress.com. Doesn't that mean that internet3 APN is using NAT? Am I missing something? I've seen other sources that also say that internet3 is supposed to NOT use NAT, so I don't understand this.
    The ip address reported by whatismyipaddress.com could easily be different than your actual IP address, WITHOUT using NAT. A simple example would be if you are using a web proxy server. All of your port 80 (http) traffic would go through the proxy server, then when you go to whatismyipaddress.com, you are shown the IP address of the host making the http request, which would be the proxy server, not your device. But if you try to connect to something on a different port, the proxy is not used and your "real" address is seen instead. Please note that the proxy does not have to be specified in your web browser (although it certainly can be), it can also be specified on your carrier's network (using a port redirector, for example). I believe that T-Mobile does use a proxy server for web traffic, so that would definitely explain why you are seeing 2 different addresses on a network that is not using NAT.

Hope this helps clarify a little for you...or did I only add to the confusion???
    -Joe
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Joe,

Thanks for the explanation!

I hate to cause this thread to degenerate into Elementary Networking 101, but I'll ask anyway: If the IP address that the outside world sees is different than your local host IP address, doesn't a proxy server effectively act like a NAT server, at least as far as client software running on the local host is concerned? If Gphone will not work via NAT, does that mean that it shouldn't work via a proxy server as well. Or does the proxy server only operate on certain ports or something.

I am using T-Mobile's getmorespeed proxy in Blazer, but I think that only affects the Blazer application.

Something is causing the software not to work, but maybe its something other than T-Mobile's proxy server.
    Quote Originally Posted by dseese
    Joe,

Thanks for the explanation!

I hate to cause this thread to degenerate into Elementary Networking 101, but I'll ask anyway: If the IP address that the outside world sees is different than your local host IP address, doesn't a proxy server effectively act like a NAT server, at least as far as client software running on the local host is concerned? If Gphone will not work via NAT, does that mean that it shouldn't work via a proxy server as well. Or does the proxy server only operate on certain ports or something.

I am using T-Mobile's getmorespeed proxy in Blazer, but I think that only affects the Blazer application.

Something is causing the software not to work, but maybe its something other than T-Mobile's proxy server.

I think you've got it...the proxy server only affects "web" traffic (ie what you see when using a browser), it will not affect other forms of IP traffic, such as mail, ftp, etc. So yes, in terms of web traffic (typically ports 80 and 443) the proxy does change your IP address similar to using NAT. For all other ports/traffic, however, your address remains unchanged. NOTE: I am trying to keep this simple, so am skippng some of the more gory details, so am "technically" not giving a 100% accurate explanation, but close enough to get the point across.

As for gphone, I am not familiar with it, so can't really say whether or not the proxy server is affecting it, but I would tend to doubt it. It probably uses a whole range of other ports, not 80 or 443. The most likely culprit is a port-blocking firewall employed by T-Mobile is stopping your traffic. Probably a general block of all "high ports" (greater than 1024). There are ways to find out, of course. I would start with finding out specifically which ports gphone requires...should be in their faq or support section on their web site.

-Joe
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Joe,

Thanks again! I think I might know enough now to figure out what to ask/tell the guy from Gphone. I think he was expecting me to just ask my network admin about all this stuff, but I can't just pick up the phone and ask T-Mobile support how their network is configured!

I'm probably wasting too much time trying to get this to work, but I'm just curious enough to see if it can be done. I can't resist trying to squeeze every last bit of functionality out of this phone.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    hmmm, I also use Vonage, but I have the Moto MTA.

I agree about the applet...it would be cool if an applet could be used to let the cellular provider make a handoff to IP telephony rather than cellular...of course that would require that wireless providers set up IP systems too
    Hey hey hey, leave it to NTT DoCoMo

from mobile9:

NTT DoCoMo has announced the arrival of it's dual-network N900iL phone. The phone runs on both the FOMA 3G network and VoIP on Wi-Fi.
    Regular customers will be dissapointed as DoCoMo plans to sell it through its business channels only.

The main attraction of the N900iL, however, is its dual-network support. The phone includes a new "Passage Duple" system designed to seamlessly switch between acting as a 3G FOMA handset or a Voice-over-IP (VoIP) phone while connected to an 802.11b Wi-Fi network.
    Users will be able to prioritize the phone for either Wi-Fi or FOMA access, depending on which network they favor if both are available.

Specs include:

-Weight: 120 grams

-Dimensons: 102 x 48 x 27 mm (opened)

-Display: (internal) 320 x 240 pixel 16-bit color TFT, includes smaller external STN display

-Camera: 1 megapixel (still and video capability)

-Memory: Mini SD

» DoCoMo launches FOMA / Wi-Fi N900iL handset

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast