1.    #1  
    Hi folks,

I've heard bad things about SanDisk, PNY & Smart SD cards - all relating to them being cheap cards and you get what you pay for basically.

Two cards that appear to be getting good word of mouth, are a little more expensive but seem to be worth the additional investment are Lexar and Kingston, however, before I started researching this I had never heard of either of them!!

Can anyone offer some feedback/advice/guidance/first hand experience of either brand of card?

Thanks!

M.
    I have a Sandisk, but have yet to actually use it because I don't have the Treo yet.

You can get a Kingston cheap at eCost, it seems: http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=295990
    $149 - $15 rebate. I paid $149 at eCost for my Sandisk.

Edit to add: 512MB card.

I should be getting the SD->CF adapter today, so I'll be trying out my card in my camera. I'll let you know.
    Last edited by metsfan; 11/11/2003 at 05:44 PM.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    I'll letcha know how my Lexar card wurks soon as I get some data schlepped onto it.

mobileuser
    I have been using the Lexar 256mb SD card purchased at a local CompUSA and have been pleased.

When I first got it - I formatted it in the T600 (as suggested in other threads). I have a Lexar JumpDrive Trio reader which accepts SD, MMC and Memory Stick.

I have copied and deleted over a gig of data in the past week and it still functions properly. It smells a little funny, but that might just be the Mrs. Paul's fishsticks on my fingers that I had for dinner.

GK
    Last edited by gkitchen; 11/19/2003 at 06:13 AM.
    I bought the lexar from compusa. they were having a promotion that brought the price down to 59.99. it is a great card and I often move around mp3s and pictures and just listened to ptunes for about 8hrs in albuquerque airport yesterday. no problems whatsoever.
    See my separate post about Kingston sd card in this topic.
    Originally posted by mobileuser
    I'll letcha know how my Lexar card wurks soon as I get some data schlepped onto it.
    Ok, so before I left on my last trip I loaded a buncha .ogg -encoded files onto the thing (Lexar x32 256MB SD card) and it works fine.

I got one of these..

PNY Technologies
    4-in-1 Adapter [Flash media]
    http://www.pny.com/products/flash/4in1.asp

..for writing to the card on my laptop -- writing to it is reasonably fast. I can schlep a full 255MB onto it in ~5 min or mebbe less. The combo of the 4-in-1 adapter and the SD card looks like a removable disk drive to the laptop OS (win2k in my present case). I got the adapter at Frys for $40 as I recall. (schlepping big chunks of data to a SD-card-inserted-in-T600 via Hotsync over USB is glacially slow -- but it does work. bottleneck is the USB comm path)

Oh, and I got one of these...

Lowepro D-Res 4 Memory Wallet
    http://www.lowepro.com/pages/series/dres/dres4.html

..to carry my SD card(s) and the 4-in-1 adapter pcmcia card. It works great and was only $6 @ Frys.
    mobileuser
    [PalmCentro-Sprint / (K)Ubuntu GNU/Linux]