Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello All,
    How do I install Midi Ringtones WITHOUT using email or the web? Im on the 1c a Kb plan and so dont want to use the web or email them to my phone as this soon adds up. I tried using the install tool and dragged the midi file into it. It automtically wants to send it to the SD card but I dont see the new midi in the ring tones from the phone when I go to change the ringer. Any help much appreciated, thanks.
    Click for Free iPod Nano or better. - really works!
    there is a site linked thru treocentral that allows you to easily create pdb files. don't have the link on me tho - ill post it later. you just sync the pdb and use tc to copy the tones from the pdb to midiringtones.
  3.    #3  
    use tc to copy the tones from the pdb to midiringtones.
    I believe therein lies the problem. What you described is how I used to do this on my 300. As far as I know TC Ringer does not work on the 600.....Thanks
    TC ringer does not work the way it needs to as far as superceding the T600's own ringtone manager, however, it does still work for copying ringtones between PDB's

if you open the source PDB on one side and the midiRingtones pdb on the other, you can copy the ringtones into the list available to the default T600 ringtone manager

currently that is the extent to which TC can be used for ringtones until the next release...
  6.    #6  
    Thanks much for explaining that to me. Much appreciated...

Edit: Just used this process, worked beautifully. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Magohn; 11/11/2003 at 06:01 PM.
    Hey I need help guys! I have 2 (.mid files) that I want to install as ringers. What are the steps in installing these ringers. I tried the link via TC website but it want work for some reason.
  8.    #8  
    The link above that kayden supplied worked fine for me. From the link just browse to the midi you want to convert. Easy as 1,2,3....
    Originally posted by Magohn
    Hello All,
    How do I install Midi Ringtones WITHOUT using email or the web? Im on the 1c a Kb plan and so dont want to use the web or email them to my phone as this soon adds up. I tried using the install tool and dragged the midi file into it. It automtically wants to send it to the SD card but I dont see the new midi in the ring tones from the phone when I go to change the ringer. Any help much appreciated, thanks.
    If you have an IR port, you can send the midi file to your Treo using IR.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    A quick search of google using search terms
    "treo midi pdb"
    returns

Palm MIDI Desktop
    http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showthread/t-4696.html
    Download Palm MIDI Desktop zip, extract..
    Create the .bat file with the jview line it lists on that page.. run that to start PalmMidiDesktop, then File - Open, and go find the Treo backup directory.. (e.g. for me.. C:\program files\handspring\<palm username>\backup) and open the MIDI pdb file.
    Now you'll see a list of all the midi's in your backup pdb..
    You can select and delete, or export them.
    You can also import new ones directly.
    What I'd recommend is deleting everything in the file, then importing your new midi's and saving it as a brand new .pdb, which you can then drop directly into the Installer.
    I've tested, it works.

The second link from that google search is:
    Ringtone Tools
    http://ringtonetools.mikekohn.net/treo.php
    Download the windows binaries.
    It's a command line tool, and does nothing but convert a single .midi file into a .pdb file which you can run through the hotsync installer.
    It also appears to be able to convert files from rtttl (a text representations of some ringtones) to midi

This needs to be in the FAQ.

ian

P.S. The link kayden supplied has no option to browse for a filename.
    It shows only
    http://www.houseofthud.com/images/midiconvert.gif
    and Next generates an error no matter what is supplied. It behaves as though it's coming *from* some other page, and we need the URL to that one instead.
    Last edited by Daemon; 11/11/2003 at 08:47 PM.
    Originally posted by Magohn
    The link above that kayden supplied worked fine for me. From the link just browse to the midi you want to convert. Easy as 1,2,3....
    ...and why would we use that process instead of just emailing a midi to our phone? What am I missing?
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Originally posted by csherman

...and why would we use that process instead of just emailing a midi to our phone? What am I missing?
    I suppose you missed the part where the original poster indicated that they actually pay per KB for their data connection thus don't want to waste money on things they should be able to hotsync instead.
    There's always a reason for everything.

ian
    You "suppose" correct. Sorry I missed it, and thanks for the life lesson....
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."
    Attached are two great regular ringers, however I have been try to convert the files for almost 3 hours. Will some one be kind enough to convert them as .pdbs
    The default ringers sucks http://www.em2xchange.com/treo(2)/

morrism@mail.com thanks!
    The link really works, just copy the link and you will see the index of both ringers, thanks!
  16.    #16  
    Here you go:

Normal
    JustRing

Dont forget you need TC Ringer to install the way we have been discussing. If thats a problem, let me know.

Hope this helps...
    Thanks guys, worked out just great!
    QUOTE]
    Originally posted by Daemon

P.S. The link kayden supplied has no option to browse for a filename.
    It shows only
    http://www.houseofthud.com/images/midiconvert.gif
    and Next generates an error no matter what is supplied. It behaves as though it's coming *from* some other page, and we need the URL to that one instead.
    enter a name for your PDB and select the # of ring tones you wish to convert

then when you hit the NEXT button it takes you to a page where you browse for the files
    *If* you have a Windows (XP or 2000) laptop with an IR port, by far the easiest way is:

1. Enable the IR connection on your laptop and the Treo
    2. Put them within range of each other
    3. Once they've linked, use the IR icon in your Windows systray to select the MIDI file and press Send
    4. The Treo will ask if you want to accept the file
    5. Say, "OK" and the file automatically goes into your ringer collection (with the filename as the ringer name.

I tried the PDB approach etc. If you have a newer Windows laptop with IR ready to go, I really believe that this is the most direct way to do it.

Good Luck!
    John
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast