1.    #1  
    Ok this is my attempt to answer the most common questions on this board. It is not complete and I am still working on it. Please feel free to add Q/A to this thread. When its complete, maybe a MOD can make it a sticky or somthing.

Treo 600 FAQ 1.0

Q: Where can I buy the TREO 600?

A: In the USA Treo 600 is available on the Sprint and Cingular systems. Support from Tmobile and ATT is in the works. There is no confirmed date when this will become available.

Q: Does Treo 600 support Bluetooth?

A: At this time NO. There are manufactures that are making bluetooth cards that should have drivers available soon.

Q: Does Treo 600 support WiFi?

A: At this time NO. There are manufactures that are making WiFi cards that should have drivers available soon.

Q: My Treo 600 rattles. Is this normal?

A: Many people report that there Treo 600's make a rattling sound. Many have found that it is due to the sound on/off switch at the top of the unit. Try holding the switch and see if the unit still rattles. This is a common problem, and handspring doesn't have an official stance on this at this time. Besides the sound it makes, there is no known problems that this creates.

Q: My Treo 600 resets itself all the time. What is wrong?

A: Many applications that work fine on other Palmas devices have problems on the Treo 600. To isolate the problem, try adding one application at a time to determine which application is causing the problem. Contact the maker of the offending software to see if there is a patch available or a workaround.

Q: My Treo 600 Screen is not centered! Is this normal?

A: Yes. Handspring designed the Treo 600 this way. It is as intended.

Q: My Treo 600 comes on by itself! What is wrong?

A: Many applications that work fine on other PalmOS devices have problems on the Treo 600. To isolate the problem, try adding one application at a time to determine which application is causing the problem. Contact the maker of the offending software to see if there is a patch available or a workaround.

Q: My Treo 600's vibrate stopped working! What do I do?

A: There are a few things to try.

1st:

Go to:
    Calendar App
    > Sound Preferences Menu
    > Application: Calendar/Phone/SMS

Make sure that on each one:
    Sound Mode On > Vibrate > On
    Sound Mode Off > Vibrate > On

2nd(if 1st didnít work):

Make a calendar entry that causes the alert to activate every minute.

- Set sound prefs so that it vibrates along with sound (and set switch at top to enable sound).
    - Place phone in palm of right hand, screen side up, antenna towards you (I tried this with the antenna pointing away and couldn't get it to work).
    - (Sounds weird, but...) Every time you hear the alert, move your arm/hand/phone like you're knocking pretty hard on someone's front door, but instead of actually hitting anything, stop the movement suddenly in mid-air. Quit the movement when alert stops, resume when it starts again (or until vibrate motor starts moving again).

Q: My SD card falls out of my Treo! What can I do to stop this?

A: This is because the sd cards sit just a little outside of the Treo's slot. When you accidentally hit the sd card it pops out. You need to avoid hitting the card to keep this from happening. Many people report that there is cases for the Treo solve this problem.

Q: My Treo 600 doesnít take very good pictures. Is my Treo broken?

A: The Treo 600 comes with a very low quality camera. It is intended for simple uses. In addition it does not come with a flash and has trouble taking pictures in low light conditions. This is normal.
    Shukran jazilan!

One questions though, AFA the rattling switch goes, on my 600 it's the wireless switch that rattles, (next to the mute switch), not the mute switch.

Jonathan
    This is great!

I would love to host this at Treo 600 Essentials!

What do you think?
    Originally posted by derek985
    This is great!

What do you think?
    I'm in for this ... tried to send you an email last nite about this, but Vision tanked.

Would like to see a cooperative effort between T|C and Treo Essentials on this ... best of both worlds.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    -
    Last edited by mgauss; 11/13/2003 at 02:01 AM.
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by derek985
    This is great!

What do you think?

I think it would be a great idea. I am really hoping that everyone will add to the cause. I was thinking of completing it before posting it, but then I got to thinking that a collaborative effort would complete this QA in less than a day.

Well, I hope we can get some contributions.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Answers seem a bit sanitized..

Originally posted by farzonalmaneih

Q: My Treo 600 resets itself all the time. What is wrong?

A: Many applications that work fine on other Palmas devices have problems on the Treo 600. To isolate the problem, try adding one application at a time to determine which application is causing the problem. Contact the maker of the offending software to see if there is a patch available or a workaround.
    [/b]
    Note also, the older Treo 300 car chargers are known to cause problems with the Treo 600 and will cause a hard reset.
    (need to find a link to the page that shows the pictures of the chargers that will work).

Q: My Treo 600 Screen is not centered! Is this normal?

A: Yes. Handspring designed the Treo 600 this way. It is as intended.
    It's to give it room for the backlight on the right side of the
    device.

Q: My SD card falls out of my Treo! What can I do to stop this?

A: This is because the sd cards sit just a little outside of the Treo's slot. When you accidentally hit the sd card it pops out. You need to avoid hitting the card to keep this from happening. Many people report that there is cases for the Treo solve this problem.
    What a crazy reply. "don't do that"??? It's a *real* problem.

There are two current methods to work around the problem.
    1. wrap a length of scotch tape around the card such that it adds about 1-2 layers per side with the end somewhere in the middle.
    When you stick the card in, it will bind in the slot and the card will stay in against the spring leaving the end of the card flush with the top of the phone's case. Can extract card with your fingernail between the edge of the card and the back edge of the slot (most SD cards have a little lip you can hook onto, and the treo's case flexes just enough to get fingernail in there fairly easily).

2. Some folks are filing down the top of the card a little to make it flush. This *will* void the warranty on your card so you do this at your own risk. I was skeptical of the tape fix, but it works fine and is less inconvenient than I thought it'd be.

Q: My Treo 600 doesnít take very good pictures. Is my Treo broken?

A: The Treo 600 comes with a very low quality camera. It is intended for simple uses. In addition it does not come with a flash and has trouble taking pictures in low light conditions. This is normal.
    It should be said however, that the photos that it takes, look a lot worse *on* the treo than they do on a computer. If you take a photo outside in good light, it'll generally be acceptible when posted to the web, or emailed to someone. It also helps to frame shots between areas of greatest contrast to avoid blowing out the light areas or blackening the dark areas, unless you *want* to capture detail in either then center it where you want the most detail.

Here's some other FAQ Qs.

Q. Can I view straight .txt or .jpg URLs in Blazer 3.0 (Web)?
    No. Blazer will redirect a .jpg url to the photo manager that controls the camera, where it'll look awful. It'll dump .txt URLs to memopad, which is pretty inconvenient. No known workarounds except to use a different browser.

Q. How do I install ringtones?
    Treo ringtones are straight MIDI files. Find a URL for the MIDI file on the net. Type the URL into Blazer, it'll fetch it, and install straight into ringtone manager. Can't install them through hotsync installer at this time.

Q. Is there any way to track phone usage internally to the phone?
    No. At least not for SprintPCS version of the phone, and all indications are Sprint wanted it that way on purpose. Go to your sprintpcs home page and you can check current usage from there.

Q. Is there any way to track data usage?
    Yes, but it's total data usage, rather than monthly.
    Dial ##786
    It'll show Life Timer (minutes), Life Data (kilobytes), Warranty Date, ESN Dec/Hex, MDN, MSID, Software Rev, Hardware Rev, PRL Version, RPI Checksum, Refurb Status, Referb Provider, Activation date [empty on mine], and Mobil Protcol Rev.

Q. Can I use the Treo 600 as a laptop modem?
    Yes. With PDANet, and perhaps WirelessModem.
    For very light usage, your provider is unlikely to notice, but some have reported that with heavier usage they've gotten nasty-grams, and have had their "Unlimited" data parts of their service plans shut off permanently.
    Use at your own discretion.

Q. Can I install apps directly from the web?
    Yes. If it's a .prc file, just type in the full URL to the PRC and it'll download and Blazer will ask if you want to install it.
    If it's a .zip file you'll need something like PalmHandZipper which will register itself as being able to handle zip files, such that Blazer will download the .zip, then hands it off to PalmHandZipper which which has an option to automatically unzip/install any embedded .prc and .pdb files.

ian
    Here's another one:

Q: How do I get my [POP3, IMAP, Exchange] e-mail on my Treo 600?

A: On the GSM versions of the Treo 600, Handspring includes a built in mail application that you can use to check your POP3 e-mail and send mail via SMTP. It supports attachments and reading them with the built-in Docs to Go viewers.

On the Sprint Treo 600s, the Handspring mail client is not included. Instead, Sprint includes a link to Business Connect(BC) which you can use to sync with your Exchange e-mail via a desktop client. It can also sync a total of 2 POP3 or IMAP accounts in addition to the Exchange sync. This service costs $5 per month or is included if you get the Professional Vision pack. You can read more about Sprint's Business Connect service at:

http://www.sprint.com/pcsbusiness/pr...data/bcpe.html

There are also several 3rd party clients that are available for use. The most popular is SnapperMail which allows you to do POP3 e-mail and send mail via SMTP. It has numerous features and is a very nice e-mail client. It costs $39.95 unless you want SSL support which costs $49.95. You can see more about SnapperMail's features at:

http://www.snappermail.com/palm/email/specs.cfm

If you're looking for free, there's the Eudora Internet Suite. It includes a text only web browser and a POP3/SMTP mail client. The mail client has quite a few features including SSL support and Eudora Internet Suite even includes a mail conduit for syncing with your desktop mailbox which no other client does. If you're interested in all of the features that are included then take a look at:

http://www.eudora.com/internetsuite/eudora4palm.html

Another 3rd party company is Visto. Visto made the TreoMail client that was on the Treo 300. They have since updated the client and it is now called MessageXpress. MessageXpress comes in two flavors, Internet E-mail which is $49.95 a year which supports POP3 only and Corporate E-mail which is $99.95 a year supports Microsoft Exchange. Both of those solutions sync to a server which turn talks directly with the POP3 server or the client that runs on the desktop in the case of the Corporate edition. You can read more about Visto's MessageXpress at:

http://www.visto.com/products/mexp.html

Finally, there's Good's Goodlink software. Good is pretty much for enterprise customers as it is a Microsoft Exchange solution only. Good's software runs on its' own server and syncs the a Microsoft Exchange 5.5 or Microsoft Exchange 2000 server. Good's client replaces the calendar and contacts of the Treo 600 with its' own built software. All these functions are then synced with the user's Exchange accounts. Good's server is roughly $2000 for the server and then costs some amount of dollars per number of clients. Good exclusively targets businesses and not consumers at this time. You can read more about Good's Goodlink at:

http://www.good.com/index.php/products_goodlink.html
    Last edited by Spiffyis5150; 11/11/2003 at 08:53 PM.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    I've been quite happy with Eudora.
    It syncs with as many pop accounts as I need and apparently will also provide a conduit to Outlook, if so desired.
    It includes SSL support for both POP and SMTP and is FREE.

ian
    I knew I forgot one. I'll update that FAQ to include it.
    Don't forget about Basejet . It will sync with Outlook/Outlook Express wirelessly (without a hotsync) and also does POP3/IMAP. It will also sync SUBFOLDERS, which I believe there is no other app that will do that. It also supports attachments, and links within the emails will open up Blazer and go to the link.
    Treo 600 Essentials has just rolled out our FAQ system and Farzon has volunteered to manage it! While the format is basic right now we will further optimize it for readability, speed, and ease of use over the coming days.

As always we will continue to scour this board and post the best information at our site but if you would like to submit potential FAQ entries directly, you can do so by sending mail to faq@treo600essentials.com - this mail alias goes directly to Farzon and myself.

Thank you to everyone who has supported us as we've grown. We appreciate all of your help and input!

Best,
    Derek.
    Treo 600 Essentials
  13.    #13  
    bump
    I'd like to add a few questions. Some that I think I know the answer to, and a couple that I do not, in the hopes that someone out there will enlighten me...and that it help others of course!

Q. What are the capabilities of Documents To Go (with Sheet To Go & Word To Go) that are included with the Treo 600?

A. The included bundle is a limited feature set which only allows you to view MS Word and Excel files which are downloaded from the web with other apps, such as Blazer or as an email attachment in a client such as Snappermail. In order to move documents or spreadsheets directly from your desktop to your Treo and/or to modify the documents or spreadsheets, you must upgrade to a full version.

Q. Does anyone know if the included bundle allows us to purchase an "upgrade" version from DataViz at a reduced price, or do we have to just buy the full version at regular price as though we don't have Docs To Go at all? (When trying to "upgrade" on the DataViz site, it asks for a license key for your current version, but I haven't been able to find that key in the bundled version.)

A. ???

Q. Which Treo 300 accessories are compatible with the 600? Which are not?

(These are the answers to the best of my knowledge. Please chime in if you disagree. Also, please add to the list if you can.)
    A. Compatible: I believe the AC adapter + USB hotsync cable included with the T300 is compatible--however, I have not yet used it. I'm basing this answer on the fact that I have not seen any indication that it cannot be used.; T300 headset

Not Compatible: The car charger included with the T300. However, I have read that if you purchased an additional car charger directly from Handspring, it is compatible; T300 cradle

Q. What VPN clients and protocols (IPSec, PPTP, SSH) are compatible with the 600?

A. ???

Q. Can I stream audio or video to my Treo 600?

A. Currently the only streaming format supported is via Shoutcast (using a beta version of pTunes). It works well, although the number of websites supporting Shoutcast is limited. For some insane reason, Real One or Real Audio is not supporting the 600 at this time. Hopefully this will change soon! Check the Multimedia discussion category for more info.

-MikeP
    Originally posted by mgauss
    Hello out there? Nerd? Yes you the MIT guy. Can you take out the 160 x 160 and make it 320 x 320?

Some electrical engineer, you know, a real hot shot that is not afraid to rub his diode into my Treo so I can be happy!

What would people pay for the upgrade?

And what would you pay for a 1. 3 Meg camera upgrade? Isn't just taking out the .3 and putting in a 1.3?

Come on guys this girl wants to see your muscles!
    Sure.

a) grab me the design specs from Handspring. By this, I mean, I need to know every connection on every pin on the board.
    b) Buy me a Treo600 to test on.
    c) pay for all parts and labor.

I'd give it a go if you can do that for me.
    Gratuitous bump.
    Originally posted by farzonalmaneih

Q: Where can I buy the TREO 600?

A: In the USA Treo 600 is available on the Sprint and Cingular systems. Support from Tmobile and ATT is in the works. There is no confirmed date when this will become available.
    A: Elsewhere in the world, the Treo 600 GSM unlocked version is currently available from www.treostore.com primarily for the European market, and from www.mobilefly.com in Singapore who ship worldwide.
    Treo 300 headsets aren't compatible with the T600. The T600 has (finally!) moved to a standard three-barreled connector, instead of the Nokia-style four-barreled.
    Originally posted by Daemon

Q. How do I install ringtones?
    Treo ringtones are straight MIDI files. Find a URL for the MIDI file on the net. Type the URL into Blazer, it'll fetch it, and install straight into ringtone manager. Can't install them through hotsync installer at this time.

ian [/B]
    Actually, there is a convoluted way to hotsync MIDI files to the Treo using a PDB converter and TCRINGER (Could work with other ringtone managers - that's the one I use). Using a pdb converter (there are plenty at palmgear), or, if you can find it, the converter page that Marcus put up here, create a PDB of the ringtones that you want on your Treo. Then, using TCRinger, open up the PDB in one window and the Midi Ring Tones in the other (not the Radio - the 600 does not work like the 300) and copy in the tones. Then you can select them in phone options or prefs. Worked fine here.
    Peter Campbell * www.krazy.com