Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just curious if anyone has figured out a way to make downloaded ringers loud enough to actually use?

I have tried about 40 different .MID ringers, but can't seem to find one that is actually loud enough (when used on my T600) that I can actually hear it ringing. (compared to the pre-installed ringers, which are MUCH louder)

Anyone having better luck with this?
    bump.
    There's a program called PsmPlayer that I've used to take a MIDI file, and increase the volume. Works in a lot of cases. I suppose there might even be an English version of it that could be easier to use, but I simply go to the volume setting and max it out (say, 300%)--which won't overmodulate or anything--it just maxes out the volume for all instruments.

You can do the same with Anvil Studio, it's a bit tougher, and I typically only use it to alter the start times of MIDI's (some songs just don't start at opportune ringer-type times), and to truncate them to an appropriate size/length.

If you'd like some examples, feel free to listen to any on my site. It's even slightly T600 friendly. Snickering at my eclectic 'tones will be not be tolerated, however deserved it may be.

http://www.YesPinky.com/pcs/MIDI

There's also a sub-directory with 'Normal' (ish I call them) ringtones that I've gotten from various sources that I don't credit. Ha! I didn't change the volume settings on these. In with the main ringtones, as well, are some that I've taken under my wing--without editing a bit.
    Hey hocus! Those midis are awesome!!!!

Snickering at my eclectic 'tones will be not be tolerated, however deserved it may be.
    HA!! Actaully, I kinda like you taste!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    There are two different reasons that MIDI's don't sound as loud as the ringers that come with the phone.

1. Certain MIDI instrument patches are accentuated to be louder than others. The trick is finding out which ones those are, then setting your MIDI ringer to use those ones instead of the ones it's using.

2. Volume settings for each MIDI channel... Each channel in a MIDI file (up to 16) can have its own volume setting, which might not be turned all the way up. Sometimes this is necessary, as you might not want the percussion of a song to be as loud as the melody, possibly keeping it from being heard.

- Mike
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Hey hocus! Those midis are awesome!!!!

HA!! Actaully, I kinda like you taste!
    Me too....
    I've been using Anvil to tweak ringers since I had my 300. It works to a degree but it's the fix we need for the 600. While you can raise the volume on certain or all tracks on the midi, some instruments, mostly deeper ones just aren't as loud even when they're maxed out. If anything can be done, I think it would have to be some utility to just increase the overall volume of the entire midi file. Tweaking the instruments helps some, but it could be better.
    Stinks that my ol' A500 that my wife is SO loud compared to mine. Need to find a good MIDI sequencer for my Powerbook - I always seem to find the best MIDIs when I am OTR, not in front of my Windows PC.
    Where do I get PsmPlayer
    and Anvil from? Do they work right on the 600 or am I going need a PC?
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Originally posted by Bob-C
    Where do I get PsmPlayer
    anvil studio - don't know psm offhand - anvil is a pc app to edit/create midi files - not a palm app...
    See here for some possible LOUD midis preconfigured...but as alarms, not ringers...
    The Anvil Studio site (www.anvilstudio.com) has been shut down.

Your account has been suspended
    This web hosting account has been suspended until action will be taken from the website owner. This website is hosted by Feature Price Web Hosting. ...
    www.anvilstudios.com/ - 1k - Cached - Similar pages
    You can get the program at Download.com:
    http://download.com.com/3000-2170-10114307.html

Some have reported difficulties in increasing the volume:
    http://board.midibuddy.net/t63720.html
    If anyone has composed LOUD midi file ringers, can you post them here for the rest of us to download?
    Originally posted by jjennings
    If anyone has composed LOUD midi file ringers, can you post them here for the rest of us to download?
    Loud is relative. I find that none of the ringtones are really THAT loud when muffled by leather cases, and such.

Here are some ringtones that I am using that are louder than others. Some of these I altered with a midi editor and some were just naturally louder. For those Star Wars fans who already have the Empirial March as a ringtone, I truncated the tone by clipping the beginning and shortening the entire midi to about 30 seconds. The others are Hip Hop and a couple for the Football lovers in the phone geek world.

Enjoy and lemme know what you think

Kimberly
    Last edited by nchargreed; 12/04/2003 at 12:10 PM.
    Sorry guys, but after my attachments didn't show up on the previous post, I realized that midi files were not an allowable attachment on this forum. When I tried to completely delete the post, for whatever technical glitch reason, I was unable to do that either....sorry.

I do have some nice midis but I can't share them here.

Kimberly
    Originally posted by Bob-C
    Where do I get PsmPlayer
    Lucky for you I can read Japanese! PSM player is actually a melody maker for NTT DoCoMo PHS phones in Japan. It works resonably well, and has been translated into English.

Get it here
    ...This ain't a phone or a PDA, It's a way of life!
    for all your multimedia needs, it's gotta be Starrwulfe Ltd!
    Hi, I have tried using the Psmp44+, how come when i transferred it to my treo 600, no sound come out and it hanged? May i know how to set the volume etc and to how many percent so that a sound would come out in the treo and will not hang.

Thanks.
    I've managed to solve my ringer problem with awesome results! I just cut a small circular hole in my case where the speaker is located. It makes a huge difference.
    where did you cut the hole? can you post a picture?
    Okay, I'll give this posting images a shot...

-First I traced a small circle with an ink pen (finding the exact location was the tricky part)

-Then I cut through the leather with an x-acto type knife

-Then I dremeled through the wood/cardboard

-Then I burnt through the inner fabric with a wood burning tool (to keep it from fraying)

-And finally, I sealed the opening with a nice glaze using a hot glue gun

The whole thing took about 15-20 minutes
    Attached Images Attached Images
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast