Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    xxxxx
    Last edited by brain615; 03/23/2009 at 08:36 PM.
    This has been discussed elsewhere, but here's my experience:

You need to trim away 1/16" or so of the black plastic on the Treo's end to make it fit properly. Once I did that, I was able to use it just fine with both some Sony headphones and the iRock adapter - no problems.

- Joe
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    xxxxx
    Time to get out your X-Acto knife, or whatever sharp instrument you happen to have laying (lying?) around.

Trim back the end of the black plastic to the first concentric ring - should be about a mm or so, and using the ring closest to end as a guide, should just about do ya.

I've done all three of mine this way, and by being careful, and starting vvveeerryyy carefully, lightly applying pressure at the edge of the ring, and working my way around slowly, I end up just taking off the very end of the black plastic, very neatly. It looks like they came that way from the factory. Takes about 10 seconds.

In fact, I'll take a pic of the first one I did, and attach it here. (this one was actually the worst mod job of all three). Here's the actual pic (my past pic attaches have been pretty small, though - maybe this one will be better):
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    xxxxx
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Is the radioshack adapter much cheaper than the handspring's? how come so many seem to have gone this route? it would seem to me much easier to just buy the handspring model and not have to worry about cutting anything away? maybe i'm missin somethin?
    Originally posted by 85mics
    Is the radioshack adapter much cheaper than the handspring's? how come so many seem to have gone this route? it would seem to me much easier to just buy the handspring model and not have to worry about cutting anything away? maybe i'm missin somethin?
    Exactly what I'm thinking. I bought one at Ratshack for 4.49 and it didn't work. Promptly returned and ordered an adapter with my treo order.
    Treo Moblog: http://nudle.textamerica.com
    I got mine to work by using nrosser's method. No problem. Well, actually, I did get perhaps too aggressive with the knife and cut down to some foil just below the rim of the metal plug. To be safe, I put a thin bead of glue around the base (AND LET IT DRY!!!), and the thing works fine. Why go with this? It's a little cheaper (~$4 US), and more important, I could just go down to the corner RS and buy it rather than wait (and pay) for shipping.
    Yep - good question. Here's why - I can get three of them for the same price as one HS, no shipping, and (most important to me), instant gratification. My RS store is about 4 min from me. Run down there, grab one, check it out, make the mod, and I'm off and running. I didn't want to lay out 12-15 bucks initially for something that I wasn't sure I'd end up wanting or needing to keep. After the first one showed me the light, I've picked up two more. Can't beat it for $3.99 or whatever..
    I must have gotten a different item. I bought the adapter, plugged it in, got stereo immediately and never thought about it until this thread. I did not trim anything and don't even know what I would trim if I were so brilliant.
    I suspect that the same item description and item number at Radio Shack can represent a bunch of different items, the main thing being the length and the number of bands are all the same.
    Makes sense when you know how those Tandyassers think
    JON
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    xxxxx
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    xxxxx
    I bought the RS adapter, trimmed it, and it worked fine for a while. Now I get only right ear, but when I first plug it in, I get just left ear for a moment. Can't get stereo.

All I get is either speaker, left ear, or right ear. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Cluemeister
    Forgive the stupid question, but.... Did you trim enough for the plug to seat firmly in the socket? Alternatively, did you do what I almost did and trim too much, possibly severing or shorting something? Try twisting/twirling the adapter while it is plugged in..does this change anything? Try cleaning the plug with a pencil eraser (Can't think of a safe way to clean the socket!)
    I learned my lesson. I bought the RS adaptor to save 2 bucks. Trimmed it. Used it for 3 weeks. Yesterday I was listening to MP3s while raking and apparently had it shoved into the headphone jack pretty tightly. All of a sudden no sound from the right headphone. The speaker won't work, the phone won't ring and there was a rattle inside the T600. I rushed to the nearest Sprint store that had one (30 miles away) and got a replacement. Whew!
    But I learned my lesson. I just ordered the handspring adaptor. The difference being that the handspring adaptor has a right angle and won't subject the jack to the same pressure as the straight line RS adaptor. The experience certainly wasn't worth the 2 bucks or my instant gratification in getting the jack.
    well I have three of them, and have had no problems at all. But then, I avoid work whenever possible, esp raking in the yard, so maybe that's my secret...
    Are your headsets powered? I am using the adapter just fine on my Bose powered headsets but only with noise reduction set to Low. Some powered speakers/headsets don't work at all with the adapter. Not sure why this is the case but it is.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Originally posted by COBoarder
    Are your headsets powered? I am using the adapter just fine on my Bose powered headsets but only with noise reduction set to Low. Some powered speakers/headsets don't work at all with the adapter. Not sure why this is the case but it is.
    Greetings!

Which Bose Noice Cancelling Headsets are you using?

Phase 1: The originals that do not fold?
    -or-
    Phase 2: The newer ones that fold?

The reason for my question is this: I own a pair of Phase 1 and would like to use my Treo 600 as an MP3 player when travelling (I'm out of the office about 1 week p/month) and I wondered if the Bose would work with the adapter.

How's the sound @ low? I ususally listen to music with it on High to drown out the noise on the plane.

Also, what happens when you put it on the high setting?

Thanks for your response.
    Palm IIIx, Palm Vx, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Centro, Pre
    Originally posted by 7zero

Which Bose Noice Cancelling Headsets are you using?

Phase 1: The originals that do not fold?
    -or-
    Phase 2: The newer ones that fold?

How's the sound @ low? I ususally listen to music with it on High to drown out the noise on the plane.

Also, what happens when you put it on the high setting?

I have Phase 1

With music in the background and the setting on Low I can't tell the difference. As you know, these headsets are great on the plane and with music playing all the "white" noise is virtually gone.

Once you put it on High you get about a half a second of sound then it shuts off. This is a function of the 600 not the adapter.

As far as battery life goes, I have listened to 4 hours of MP3s from Denver to Portland OR and back without a recharge.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Brilliant!

Thanks for the update.

I figure I'll set it to low (the Bose) and just pump up the volume (movie reference intended).

Too bad about the High setting. If anyone knows a work around I'm sure there are others besides myself who would love to know how to make it work.

Cheers!
    Palm IIIx, Palm Vx, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Centro, Pre
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast