Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    -- http://www.forbes.com/2003/11/10/cx_...ahoo&referrer=

Guess that "Ewwww" factor carries over to those who go to the trouble to get used to it.
    Hi,

that was a very positive review, and I noticed you picked out the only negative part of it
    Hi, that is because seldom visitor like purpelx are looking for any reason to knock Palm and the Treo600. I do not want to be rude seldom visitor, but perhaps you should live up to your screen name and become a very seldom visitior if you continue to be so negitive! Life is so short, why not look on the positive side of life and the things in it!!!
    Take care, Jay
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor

Guess that "Ewwww" factor carries over to those who go to the trouble to get used to it.
    In the interest of fairness (the subject, if technically correct, is a very tunnelled view) here are some other quotes from the review (emphasis added):

It is everything one would want from a thoroughly modern mobile phone, and everything one would want from a PDA running Palmsource's Palm OS 5.2 operating system.

Overall, there is much more about the Treo 600 to like than to criticize.

One-handed operation is a breeze.

Making a call is easy too.

Writing e-mail and sending short messages is also easy, though the crucial tool in the process, the keyboard, still needs a little work...this was our only serious complaint.

It's one thing for a reviewer to say it when they use it for a week or two, and something else for someone that uses it alot and has for several weeks.

It took me maybe a half a day to get used to the new thumboard. However, I came from a Treo 300 and was used to a board this size. The most difficult thing for me to learn was how they placed some of the option symbols in more logical places, IMO.

I still use 2 hands and I have big fingers and I experience very few mistakes. Most of the ones are edits -- like add a comment or erase a something you really didn't want to say. Stuff like that.

Seldom, I actually enjoy your posts as you usually have something that needs USER input to fully understand. Reviewers are ok, but the actual users will tell you what works and doesn't work for them. Unfortunately, outside of this and one or two other boards, we don't have access like Forbes or other magazines.

OOT, could you drop the "Ewww" thing ... it's getting pretty old right about now. TIA
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
  6.    #6  
    The "Ewwww" is a historical jab at some of those who are more interested in knocking posters rather than posts and was explicitly used to point out - a-GAIN - that the keyboard that many consider a SELLING point is, in fact, something that new potential customers AND reviewers are doing the functional equivalent of saying "Ewwww"...

Even Walt Mossberg in his way-too-subtle manner said "Some don't like it" (in particular, women with long nails).

An accurate though-perhaps-strong reflection of reality - I think I'll keep it.
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 11/10/2003 at 12:29 PM.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    It needs 320 x 320 high resolution screen

If you want BT or Wifi, there will be cards and combo cards soon

The camera would be better at 1.3 or 2 Megs

You see a 320 x 320 would give it:

ability to really read books, see pictures, business presentations

A 2 meg camera would be fine for most "decent" picture needs
    Yet another negative posting from the vitriolic brain of Seldom Visitor. This is Bush-style politicking - keep saying the negative message so that the less aware will eventually believe it.
    Originally posted by mwomwom
    Yet another negative posting from the vitriolic brain of Seldom Visitor. This is Bush-style politicking - keep saying the negative message so that the less aware will eventually believe it.
    What does Bush have to do with this?
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    ...As opposed to Democrat-style "politicking" like just making crap up and feeding it to the "working class" as gospel truth. Come on, you didn't really expect no response when bringing politics into a pda forum, did you?
    If you want to dive into political debate ... take it to the Off Topic Forum.

I, and many others (I hope), thank you.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Hi, TJD414 you r right!

I love a good political conversation and I certainly am not one to hide my opionions. However the issue here is what Forbes said and the fact seldomvisitor just as a few other mebers are ruining the BB by constantly bashing both the PALM software, HS and the TREO. Perhaps they should either post elsewhere or be more positiive. I do not enjoy my time here spoiled by negitive constant negitive attacks on on PALM, TREO AND HS.

While everyone is entitled to their own opinion one or two persons are constantlyu beating a dead horse with their rather negitive views.

Frankly it SELDOMVIEWER AND PURPLEX do not like TREO, PALM & HS, then perhaos they should buy units that support other software OS and leave the board as the are ruining the viewing pleasure of the rest of us.

The other thing is that with such negitivity, I wish both seldomvisitor and Purlex would both become selddom visitors!

This is especailly trheu for Seldomvisitor as you must have read and reread the artcile honing in on a slight negitive comment and blowing it up into Forbes did not like. Actually Forbes like the 600 very much and made a comment in passing on the keyboard. The keyboard is something that everyone has a preference of. Just as on regular keyboards, so brands have switches that need too much pressure or are too easy to depress. Same thing like the Treo. That is a very personal decision. Other then that I flet it was a very positive piece. Perhaps Seldomvisitior and a few others need to self examine or have help examining why they both hate the T600 and why they want to ruin the BB for the rest of us! (I consider that a very polite version of go play in traffic and/or see a shrink to help you play in traffic), LOL)!

take care, Jay
  13.    #13  
    > ...made a comment in passing on the keyboard. The keyboard
    > is something that everyone has a preference of. Just as on
    > regular keyboards, so brands have switches that need too
    > much pressure or are too easy to depress. Same thing like the
    > Treo. That is a very personal decision...

So, to put it another way, in a few words what you're saying is:

> ...that the keyboard that many consider a SELLING point is, in
    > fact, something that new potential customers AND reviewers
    > are doing the functional equivalent of saying "Ewwww"...
    I thin the issue was that the comment that started this thread was a misrepresentation of the actual review... just to throw my $.02 in, my last phone was a Sidekick; it took about 2 days to get used to the keyboard, but I find it very functional.
  15.    #15  
    > I think the issue was that the comment that started this thread
    > was a misrepresentation of the actual review...

No.

The comment that "started" this thread was some personal knock that said I was incorrect when I said new potential customers would take a look at the keyboard, maybe even try it out, and then say "Ewwww" and look at the next phone in the store.

Certain individuals who didn't like reading that then said I was wrong and a Bozo-equivalent (I'm being REAL charitable in that wording!)

> ...it took about 2 days to get used to the keyboard...

There have been probably a dozen separate instances of TREO fanatics right here ALL saying the geek-equivalent of "Ewwww", namely "it took about N time units to get used to the keyboard" proving without a shadow of a doubt that I was entirely and totally 100% correct with that initial thread starter many moons ago.

THIS thread was simply an In-Your-Face giggle at those poster-bashers showing them that the mainstream media says "Ewwww" to that keyboard, too.

Like it or not.

=====

This is all to say - when yer trying to sell a $400+ cell phone with a few extra features to some poor slob or slobess who just walked into a phone store sight unseen, you do NOT get them to say "Ewwww" and expect them to buy a $400+ cell phone with a few extra features - they will laugh in yer face - especially when THE major extra feature that yer trying to get them to buy is what made them say "Ewwww" in the first place.

BTW - this is VERY MUCH related to the expensiveness of the entire TREO line that was admitted to by Dubinsky and Hawkins and most recenly by Bradley in that Analyst Day presentation - they've GOT to get the price down for these things to be a success.

And they've GOT to get rid of the "Ewwww" factor as well.

Like it or not.
    There is really no need to resort to "banning" Seldom's somewhat myopic view on the Treo, especially in light of all the other favorable reviews of the unit - including the one posted by Seldom himself.
    This is all to say - when yer trying to sell a $400+ cell phone with a few extra features to some poor slob or slobess who just walked into a phone store sight unseen, you do NOT get them to say "Ewwww" and expect them to buy a $400+ cell phone with a few extra features - they will laugh in yer face - especially when THE major extra feature that yer trying to get them to buy is what made them say "Ewwww" in the first place.
    I'm not interested in a back-and-forth; however, even though some may not like the keyboard (and I grant that some will not like it), for many others - myself included - the keyboard was a huge plus. The reason I didn't get a PPC-based PDA was that the only one with a keyboard was enormous. Despite the small keys, it is much more efficient than using Graffiti.
    There have been probably a dozen separate instances of TREO fanatics right here ALL saying the geek-equivalent of "Ewwww", namely "it took about N time units to get used to the keyboard" proving without a shadow of a doubt that I was entirely and totally 100% correct with that initial thread starter many moons ago.
    I think this logic is faulty. The Treo users are NOT saying "Ewwww" to the thumboard when they say it took "N time units" to get used to it. What they're saying is, it took "N time units" to learn how to use it smoothly. If you drive an automatic transmission, and you get a car with a stickshift, you need to learn how to use it. It doesn't mean you hate your new car.

People said the same thing when they saw a mouse on a Macintosh the first time. It was intuitive, but took some practice. And we know how that turned out. Mice everywhere.

That's they way I felt about it when I got the 600. I had to train myself to use the 5-way and the thumboard, but I wasn't unhappy with it. I bought the Treo specifically because it has the thumboard. And I'm not a "Treo fanatic" either. I didn't have a Treo before the 600. I didn't like the older models, I didn't think they were "there" yet, and not enough of a phone, so I gave them a miss.

I've shown the 600 to a number of people now (20, maybe?), and none of them went "Ewwww" at the keyboard. They all thought it was pretty impressive. Though that's a purely anecdotal data point, I admit.
    HI, the problem is that seldomvisitor must go to the novelty store they used to sell sugar pills to give to kids labels happiness or happy pills, take care, jay
    Originally posted by ilovedessert
    HI, the problem is that seldomvisitor must go to the novelty store they used to sell sugar pills to give to kids labels happiness or happy pills, take care, jay
    just in case your unaware of it, seldomright and purplex are one in the same.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast