1.    #1  
    What is needed for the Treo 600 to show you where you are on a map (so you can get driving directions as if you were in a car with a navigation system)?

I'm a little confused. From what I understand, all new cell phone devices are required to have a GPS. So, doesn't the Treo 600 already have a GPS in it? Or does a separate GPS hardware device need to be added to it? Thanks for helping me understand,
    --Kyle
    Don't know where you heard that all new phones are required to have onboard GPS. It's definitely not true. In fact, I don't think there currently is a smartphone with built-in GPS.

There are two SD-based GPS receivers in development, one from iGolf, the other one from Pharos. These should fit into the SD slot of the Treo600. However, none of them has onboard memory. This means that you would have to store map data in the Treo600's internal memory, which might be difficult depending on how detailed the maps are and how many apps you already have in your Treo.

Hope this helps a bit.

PS: If you are interested in the iGolf and Pharos GPS units, search this forum or Google.
    Originally posted by Acctis
    Don't know where you heard that all new phones are required to have onboard GPS. It's definitely not true. In fact, I don't think there currently is a smartphone with built-in GPS.

There are two SD-based GPS receivers in development, one from iGolf, the other one from Pharos. These should fit into the SD slot of the Treo600. However, none of them has onboard memory. This means that you would have to store map data in the Treo600's internal memory, which might be difficult depending on how detailed the maps are and how many apps you already have in your Treo.

Hope this helps a bit.

PS: If you are interested in the iGolf and Pharos GPS units, search this forum or Google.
    Actually the Treo 600 has some GPS functionallity, but is not true GPS. Almost every phone, and maybe every phone, sold by Sprint now has location service which is believe called AGPS. It basically uses tower triangulation to determine your location. It is not enabled yet on the user end, but I believe Sprint now can use it to find you if you make a 911 call from the phone. Supposedly when the full system is enabled, you may be able to access this location information with third party apps.

The 600 does not have a built-in GPS receiver, but the AGPS should be fairly accurate as long as you are in a coverage area. Maybe Sprint will turn on this, SMS/MMS, and everything else they have been slow on at the same time.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    New cell phones have a GPS in them. However, the position data is sent out to the carrier, and generally is not accessible to users. On the Treo 600 there is probably a way to write some Palm software that could access the position data, but I can't imagine that Handspring or any GPS company is going to permit that, because then you would be buying a nice little $600 SD GPS/1gb memory card from them!

<rant>In an ideal world, Handspring would have included the GPS software in the rom image and left out worthless things (in the US market) like carrier branding and foreign language files. But the world is not ideal, Cingular and Orange customers have Treo 600s, and I on the T-Mobile plan and a very loyal customer who promotes their system to everyone... have only my Treo 270 to console me...</rant>
    I think we're talking about AGPS here (Augmented GPS), which, according to FCC E911 has to provide a position within 100 metres 67% of the time. As mentioned by lnichols, it's designed for emergency services.
    Don't think that this will ever work for road navigation, as it's not accurate enough.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks everyone. That makes perfect sense. I'm sure AGPS is what I was thinking of, because I thought it was specifically for locating the person if he/she was lost, etc. I just thought it could also be used for other applications like road navigation, etc. Makes sense why it wouldn't though too... Anyway, thanks for clearing that up. Take care,
    --Kyle
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Acctis

Hope this helps a bit.

The position info is part of the FCC's E-911 initiative...
    http://www.fcc.gov/911/enhanced/