1.    #1  
    Surprised this thread didn't exist already. I did a search and came up with 3 results which led elsewhere. Fast SD memory is important for obvious reasons. I'm in the market for a digital camera as well as looking at my smartphone upgrade path. Writing 4 megapixel images to disk and transferring them to the computer will go faster with faster media.

Previously I had heard that Panasonic was good, but a brief search of the web shows up things like "32x Lexar" and "Ultra II Sandisk". I'd rather start out with a faster lower capacity card first, then get a bigger (and even faster) one later rather than settle for slowpoke speed.

So I ask, what is the "Fasted SD Memory Card" on the planet?
    David
    You might want to check with www.dpreview.com - I think they have an extensive review of digital media & their speeds...
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by tcc
    You might want to check with www.dpreview.com - I think they have an extensive review of digital media & their speeds...
    Wrong media (compact flash), and out of date. Using "fastest sd card" as a search yeilded no results at dpreview. Were I simply in the market for a camera, Compact Flash it seems would be the way to go, however it's possible the first SD card I buy will at some point be a hand-me-down to a future pda or smartphone so my search continues.
    David
    Yes, your right. Perhaps their forum dedicated to camera-related storage might be helpful to you:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1023
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by tcc
    Yes, your right. Perhaps their forum dedicated to camera-related storage might be helpful to you:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1023
    Took awhile, but I stumbled across that forum too, thanks. Sandisk claims the "Ultra II" series of CF and SD cards to be the fastest in the world. Only problem is retailers haven't heard of "Ultra II" yet. I'm getting itchy trigger fingers, though, and might buy a regular sandisk next weekend at costco.
    David
    It seems to me that this would matter a ton more for digital cameras than for the Treo 600. The Treo 600 doesn't have to write anything like a 4 megapixel file sizes to the disk.

It's also worth noting that there are a variety of ways to measure speed, i.e. seek/read/write, etc. I think The biggest thing for the Treo 600 would be the read for something like mp3s. And as long as it meets a threshhold though, I think any extra is wasted. Any card on the market should be fine.

Also, unless you have something significantly faster in all areas, you'd probably find the differences between brands to be very minor fractions of a second.

I'd pick a digital camera that's to your liking rather than limit yourself to the ones that use fastest SD cards. You might find that Compact Flash cards are much faster than SD in general (I don't know if this is true), and maybe the better bet.

P.S. If I were to buy to buy a camera I'd look long at the Canon S400 Elph or the Canon S50. I know people with each and the pictures they take are beautiful and they travel most any place.
    I went through this awhile back. sandisk was the slowest and panasonic was the fastest at 10mb per second read and write speed.

I found 256Mb cards at bhphotovideo.com for $90.
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by jkempster
    I went through this awhile back. sandisk was the slowest and panasonic was the fastest at 10mb per second read and write speed.
    Thanks for the info. I'm still confused, but I think I saw panasonic at fry's so will get that whatever the price.
    David
    I too have been wanting to get a speedy card for my 600. Mainly becuase I use a lot of word and excel documents on there as well I use Backupman to backup my phone every 4 hours. The backup takes about 3 minutes on my current card.

So to answer the question, I called SanDisk and asked them about the speeds. Here's what I found:

The normal blue Sandisk SD cards will get a sustained tranfser rate of 1.2 to 1.4 megabytes per second.

The new Ultra II Sandisk SD cards will get a sustained transfer rate of 9 megabytes per second.

I went to Best Buy at lunch today and they had the regular 254MB Sandisk card for $109. However, I was able to fine the Ultra II 256MB card online at Buy.com in stock for $78.00

http://www.buy.com/retail/product_ju...17&dcaid=15894

Not stopping there, I did an online chat with a Lexmark tech. Thier 32x card measures speed where the X refers to 150KB/sec. Converting that to megabytes and multiplying by 32, you get roughly 4.7 megabytes per second sustained.

So there's the answer in raw apples to apples numbers. I'm gonna go buy the Ultra II now. Please excuse me...
    Originally posted by drw
    Took awhile, but I stumbled across that forum too, thanks. Sandisk claims the "Ultra II" series of CF and SD cards to be the fastest in the world. Only problem is retailers haven't heard of "Ultra II" yet. I'm getting itchy trigger fingers, though, and might buy a regular sandisk next weekend at costco.
    That's funny, because I got my 256 MB UltraII from buy.com 3 weeks ago. I think it came to $98 with tax and 2 day shipping in CA which is pricey. I don't have a card reader. Apps however run the same as they do internally and backingup my 21MB on the Treo to the card takes about 1 miute or so.
    Oops, didn't read all the posts including the buy.com link.

Actually I just timed a backup which is 20752kB and it took 1:28 so certainly faster than 3 minutes.
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by jasondeno
    http://www.buy.com/retail/product_ju...17&dcaid=15894

Not stopping there, I did an online chat with a Lexmark tech. Thier 32x card measures speed where the X refers to 150KB/sec. Converting that to megabytes and multiplying by 32, you get roughly 4.7 megabytes per second sustained.
    Jason, thanks for the link and lexar 32x explanation.
    David
    Update-

I just got my SD card today! Not bad for ordering it yesterday afternoon and choosing regular shipping.

At any rate, what used to take my old card 3-4 minutes to do a backup, my new card can do it in about 30 seconds.

Nice.

Also, kudos to BackupMan for a nice backup program too!
    Originally posted by jasondeno
    I too have been wanting to get a speedy card for my 600. Mainly becuase I use a lot of word and excel documents on there as well I use Backupman to backup my phone every 4 hours. The backup takes about 3 minutes on my current card.
    Just a thought, but you might want to take a look at Botzam backup if you backup that often. Unlike Backupman, after the initial backup, subsequent backups only have to update the files that have been changed, allowing for much quicker backup times.

In case you're interested:

http://www.botzam.com/bzbackup_compare.htm

Either way, they're both great programs.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    The 256 Ultra-II seems reasonably priced compared to the standard SanDisk, but the 512 at 275 vs. the standard at 150 is nuts.

so now the decision is back to a regular 512 or an ultra-II 256?

How many people have found the 256 to be too small?
    Hey, if I were to have MP3s, and I want to put them on the Treo, a) do I need an SD card b) do I need an SD card reader/writer for my computer or can I write the files to the SD card through
    Thanks!
    Also, btw, here's the Sandisk from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...bosnation0e-20

It's lsited there at $66.39 for 256 MB

Check ebay for the Ultra II (even though now Ill be bidding against you, see how generous I am? )
    Last edited by ziphem; 11/21/2003 at 04:49 PM.
    I really appreciate everyone's comments...I, too, have been looking for an SD for my new Cingular T600.

After reading everyone's comments, I placed an order for a Panasonic 256 MB SD for $74. 99 from erwincomp.com. Shipping is free.
    If you believe their claim of 10 MB/sec transfer rate, then it should be faster than Sandisk's Ultra II.

Check this out: http://www.erwincomputers.com/parp25sdsedi.html